Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #41
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthmode View Post

busy this end the last few days but a few more have popped up to consider.

36' Pearson 367 Cutter
  • Boat Name: SOL MATE
  • Year: 1982
  • Current Price: US$ 30,000
  • Located in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands (US)
I'm still not ruling out double masts, i'm sure i'd learn to handle them. I do somehow like the look of them in full sail, different to single mast. Definitely 2 seperate design types and reasons. I don't actually know the reason so can someone fill this part in.

I've gone up another $5000 to anything now in the $30000 range to look out for.

I'll take the advice of the others.

CaptDingy

Silver Raven

Chiroeurope

I'll see how I get on in this price range and how many out of 10 I can still talk to after offering half price.

If I really think it has come to say, this is the boat for me, i'll start to hassle more till I can speak with-out being told where to go and see where I end up on a possible.

MMNETSEA, I never got a reply even on the answer-phone on the Canadian S&s 36'.

I also see it on about 4 different advertisements.
There is always a case for 2 masts - the most important being ease of handling. Once the boat is over 40 LOA and when one is single handing, then breaking up the size of the sails may become necessary. At 50 ft there is definitely a necessity or at least having mechanised halyards. And of course getting under bridges and powerlines another reason.

However, when the boat is less than 40ft one is paying for an extra mast, boom, sails, winches, rigging etc for little benefit.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:06 AM   #42
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post

There is always a case for 2 masts - the most important being ease of handling. Once the boat is over 40 LOA and when one is single handing, then breaking up the size of the sails may become necessary. At 50 ft there is definitely a necessity or at least having mechanised halyards. And of course getting under bridges and powerlines another reason.

However, when the boat is less than 40ft one is paying for an extra mast, boom, sails, winches, rigging etc for little benefit.
This is perfect, now I can leave them alone and stick with a single mast as 38' is as long as I want for my first boat.( if it's 41' and turns out to be a bargain then no problem)

I'll carry on looking and searching and I should now be able to come up with a list of some well worthy boats.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:59 AM   #43
Lieutenant

Another one I like, The bottom one is fine too even if different model and older. 36' Islander Sloop
  • Boat Name: Orion
  • Year: 1978
  • Current Price: US$ 29,999
This one has a lovely set-out inside, I'd be fine on my own, lots of open space to get thrown around in , but I seriously do like it.

36' Islander 36

• Year: 1973
  • Current Price: US$ 29,500
  • Located in San Diego, CA
Old 06-04-2011, 08:09 AM   #44
Admiral

Quote:

Another one I like, The bottom one is fine too even if different model and older. 36' Islander Sloop
  • Boat Name: Orion
  • Year: 1978
  • Current Price: US$ 29,999
This one has a lovely set-out inside, I'd be fine on my own, lots of open space to get thrown around in , but I seriously do like it.

36' Islander 36

• Year: 1973
  • Current Price: US$ 29,500
  • Located in San Diego, CA
The First one's engine is a rebuilt in 2001 - not good idea.

Both are on the wrong side of the USA - just getting one back into the Caribbean would leave very little change out of $10,000 US.

If Ruby is a genuine up and up sale - that is the best boat we have seen - It is being advertised by another broker. It sounds too good to be true - and you know what that means.
Old 06-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #45
Ensign

Quote:

Hi everyone, I’m a new member and hopefully about to become a new sailor.

I want to drift round the world, not non-stop or too set records etc, but purely to say I managed it.

I will be solo and live aboard.

I started only looking at 27’-29’ yachts but have since adjusted this to 28’ – 34’ range.

I seriously am going to do this on a shoestring budget as I simply don’t have any other means.

I’m looking to spent £3000-£5000 on the yacht.

I’ve managed to work out what type of yacht and extras to start looking for so this is helpful and now it’s just a case of finding a really good deal out there.

I need it ready to sail with-out needing engine over-hauls or masts changing or replacing.

I don’t mind if it’s grubby needing tlc and minor repairs but that’s it.

I see in North and South America that yachts in my size range are very plentiful and cheap compared to the UK prices. In effect I get 2-3 times the amount of yacht for the same price here in the UK and a huge range.

My question is simply can I go over there and buy it and bring help to sail it back, or am I going to be hit with some sort of fees that make the yacht suddenly worthless?
Hi Stealthmode, Good luck on your search. We just completed a search for our new yacht/home. We sold our boat in American Samoa and started our search in Hawaii. We flew to Florida and drove up the coast to Maine. We wound up buying in Annapolis, MD. From experience I can tell you very few yachts out there that are for sale have a good rig. 90% of the boats we looked at needed new rigging, mast paint and new sails. We chose one with a new engine and we are doing the rig and sails. It is thoroughly disgusting at the shape of some of these boats and they are represented as "ready to go cruising". Believe nothing you read on the internet and little of what the broker says, rely on your own observations. We were at the point of wishing we had kept our previous boat when we finally decided on a boat that needed known refitting. At least we got a good price and we will know our boat inside and out when we are finished. We will spend the summer refitting her and then head south until the butter melts.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #46
Lieutenant

Quote:

The First one's engine is a rebuilt in 2001 - not good idea.

Both are on the wrong side of the USA - just getting one back into the Caribbean would leave very little change out of $10,000 US.

If Ruby is a genuine up and up sale - that is the best boat we have seen - It is being advertised by another broker. It sounds too good to be true - and you know what that means.
If anyone over near RUBY can try to get in touch with the owners/boatyard as they are not responding to me this end.

But alas, it's also in my head MMNETSEA, like you said, to good to be true possibly.

Why do you see an engine re-build as a bad thing?, this is if done right is a very good thing.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #47
Lieutenant

39' Roberts 39 Fiberglass
  • Year: 1986
  • Current Price: US$ 24,950
  • Located In San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
This 38' C&C Cutter needs finishing off inside, looks like it still has to be plumed in after everything is drilled and fitted tap wise.

I've asked for more from the owner on this one as I want to see the actual condition of her right now.

From the images on a couple of sites it looks like it's been laid up for some time and the top of her neglected, i'll see what comes back from the owner and what is/isn't done.

38' C&C Cutter
  • Year: 1975
  • Current Price: US$ 20,000
  • Located In La Paz, BCS, Mexico
Old 06-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #48
Lieutenant

CaptDingy, i'm struggling to find any Bristol yachts at a price I can read with-out falling over. But that said i'll keep looking.

From the list you have given and others i'll now stop wandering around at other types and confine myself to finding something of one of the types mentioned as they are ideal for me.

38' Bristol 38.8
  • Year: 1983
  • Current Price: US$ 124,900

(£ 76,401)
This is beautiful and I like the layout very much. Lots of things on her including new standing rigging, steering-gear all over-hauled and the list goes on.

Something as good as this coming onto the market but in my price range would bring a smile to my face.

Also this one is up for sale

35' Bristol 35
  • Current Price: US$ 39,000

(£ 23,856)
  • Located In Milwaukee, WI
Old 06-05-2011, 01:05 AM   #49
Rear Admiral

[QUOTE=stealthmode;1307211672]

CaptDingy, i'm struggling to find any Bristol yachts at a price I can read with-out falling over. But that said i'll keep looking.

From the list you have given and others i'll now stop wandering around at other types and confine myself to finding something of one of the types mentioned as they are ideal for me.

Gooday 'stealth'. Cptn. Dinghy aka Bob has left Maine for Tortola - for short sailing, part-of-trip delivery - probably not back until 10th, so you'll need to be a tad patient. Now, I'm sure you will take extra careful notice of - Sir Richard (that's the handsome gentleman in the picture) - If it seems good to be true - it might well be, however it's then time to increase your 'critical, hard-nosed appraisal' of any such 'deals'. Furthermore - I would give 'RodHeadlee' - Rod & Patti of SV Joint Venture - 4 stars - for his wise attitude ; ie. believe no info off the net & little (if any at all) from brokers. If you take a sec & go into their 'profile' there is much to be learned there. If by chance - Rob & Patti read this, we'd all like to know 'how're-goin-mate'? Was the yacht re-fit successful, cost effective & over-all what you wanted to achieve? Does she sail up to your expectations? Importantly, has 'the butter melted' yet? Here in very Far North Queensland it was 7* @ 0530 & that's tooooo cold for us by at least 20*. That sure is a nice yacht design you have chosen !! If I was a 'monohull' person I'd be following your path for sure. Every great dream begins with a thorough reality check. Fab sailing - everyone, james
Old 06-05-2011, 01:31 AM   #50
Admiral

Quote:

39' Roberts 39 Fiberglass
  • Year: 1986
  • Current Price: US$ 24,950
  • Located In San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
This 38' C&C Cutter needs finishing off inside, looks like it still has to be plumed in after everything is drilled and fitted tap wise.

I've asked for more from the owner on this one as I want to see the actual condition of her right now.

From the images on a couple of sites it looks like it's been laid up for some time and the top of her neglected, i'll see what comes back from the owner and what is/isn't done.

38' C&C Cutter
  • Current Price: US$ 20,000
  • Located In La Paz, BCS, Mexico
As with previous selections both of these boats are on the wrong side of North America -- In the Sea of Cortez.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:22 AM   #51
Admiral

Quote:

38' Bristol 38.8
  • Year: 1983
  • Current Price: US$ 124,900

(£ 76,401)
This is beautiful and I like the layout very much. Lots of things on her including new standing rigging, steering-gear all over-hauled and the list goes on.

Something as good as this coming onto the market but in my price range would bring a smile to my face.

Also this one is up for sale

35' Bristol 35
  • Current Price: US$ 39,000

(£ 23,856)
  • Located In Milwaukee, WI
What can I say, A petrol engine, now 36 years old. Overhauled 17 years ago. Complete overhaul, some time ago? 125 hours since then.

Way over priced. Not worth $20 000 US. Reading between the lines, that boat has been sitting on the hard for a long time. And, one would have to get it to the Eastern Seaboard of the US.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:44 AM   #52
Lieutenant

Got you MMNETSEA on the engine side.

The california top end side, Mexico west side. I wasn't realizing the sailing distance from there as you say to get back to the east coast and then head over the atlantic.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:43 AM   #53
Lieutenant

Thanks for that Silver Raven.

I'm also going to leave for a couple of days.

I'm jumping on the motorbike and going to ride out to some boat yards that are close-by here in the south UK and Wales.

I'll see for myself how far out these adverts are and the condition in real life, which by the sounds of it, is going to be a lot worse than shown or advertised, or as you all say it what's not advertised that's the problem.

I'll then see what is needed and how much in cost to put right and take this price off and some more off the asking price then go from there.

I managed to follow you all in your advice and recommadations of what type of sail boat of which i'm going to settle on a single masthead.

I'll post back how I got on, what I looked at etc and how flexible the sellers were.

Here in the UK people are so tight they would charge you to come out of their house to go and show you the boat.

They would also tell you the things needed doing but still sell it at its asking price if it was in mint condition.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:59 AM   #54
Admiral

Quote:

Thanks for that Silver Raven.

I'm also going to leave for a couple of days.

I'm jumping on the motorbike and going to ride out to some boat yards that are close-by here in the south UK and Wales.

I'll see for myself how far out these adverts are and the condition in real life, which by the sounds of it, is going to be a lot worse than shown or advertised, or as you all say it what's not advertised that's the problem.

I'll then see what is needed and how much in cost to put right and take this price off and some more off the asking price then go from there.

I managed to follow you all in your advice and recommadations of what type of sail boat of which i'm going to settle on a single masthead.

I'll post back how I got on, what I looked at etc and how flexible the sellers were.

Here in the UK people are so tight they would charge you to come out of their house to go and show you the boat.

They would also tell you the things needed doing but still sell it at its asking price if it was in mint condition.
Here is a boat worth looking at, in your back yard

CLICK HERE
Old 06-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #55
Admiral

Hello Stealth, By this time my contributions to your search may have been a little rough.

So I spent a little time checking out some boats on your behalf.

Do you remember the British Couple, the Chandlers who were taken hostage by pirates near the Seychelles in the Indian Ocean. They had one of these boats :-

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rival Sloop.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1721

It is presently in your back yard CLICK HERE
Old 06-05-2011, 11:02 PM   #56
Lieutenant

Quote:

Hello Stealth, By this time my contributions to your search may have been a little rough.

So I spent a little time checking out some boats on your behalf.

Do you remember the British Couple, the Chandlers who were taken hostage by pirates near the Seychelles in the Indian Ocean. They had one of these boats :-

Attachment 1721

MMNETSEA, I prefer it is given rough as I think others reading this will get a better understanding of whats out there at what price.

I remember the Chandlers all right, the whole country was up in arms because the UK government were as usual dragging there heels.

Our government are very bad at turning a blind eye to it's people at the drop of a hat, as history shows so well. Fine when we are all in the system making money for them and being spoon-fed but when you end up in trouble as a UK citizen you're on your own unless a rescue attempt is in there interests, i.e, money or power/control, other than this it's a simple nice knowing you, good-bye.

We as a nation and the donations of the world paid the ransom to have them released.

There was a big storm brewing over the whole handling of this and the amount of defiant arrogance of a few certain members of our parliment.

And to add insult to injury a british Navy boat with special op's on board saw thewhole bloody thing happing in front of there eyes then when this came out the government statement was they did nothing as they would have been killed.

Er, what are these men trained for again, someone remind me.

I'll leave it at this as this would need another post.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:06 AM   #57
Lieutenant

On another note from my rant above I did go look at a yacht today in Port Penrhyn, Bangor, North Wales.

It was a 'Carter 35, 1979, sailing cruiser, Yanmar 2QM20 18hp diesel' £12,500

What a sad state of affairs. I was told on the phone she just needs a few days work on her to get her ready and she is parked out of the water, outside the owners house on a cradle for storage.

The images on the web show her on the cradle and what looks like a stripped hull ready for painting. She reads okay on first read but on inspection not quite what it seems.

It's an entire strip-out and rebuild. Full blown project boat.

Rod Headlee, thanks for the heads up on the state of what you might actually go to see.

As soon as I rode up the hill with a spectacular view out over the Irish Sea, I was elevated from sea-level to about 300ft above in seconds.

Anyway, near the top of the hill as I rounded a corner into houses scattered around like a town forgotten and neglected, I spotted this great big white blot on the landscape straight ahead.

This yacht was on a cradle all right, but immediately had I been told it's true state on the phone i'd have ran a mile.

It looks like it has spent about 10 years on the cradle in all weathers and not an inclining of anything being covered.

As I got closer the mast was off and laid on the ground, why they did this I don't know, I suppose it would have fallen over if it was upright with rot, (this is not 100% true, it may be fine under the surface as I may be exaggerating a bit because of the state of the entire boat). Looks like it has been there for the same 10 years though.

Okay, all sail ropes and mast shrouds etc can be replaced. The alloy mast is well weathered and corroded, but it may clean up to be fine for another few years.

incase not, then needs a new mast.

Standing rigging, needs replaced.

The entire top deck has a few years of green mould and a couple of little patches of fungi which I just had to kick out of where it was growing.

every pulley, attachments, rope clamps etc are almost seized or corroded.

I pulled one sail rope apart in front of the owner. It was so rotten and mouldy it had rotted through.

The entire inside has been weathered/battered around so much she really needs re-fitted head-to-toe, but this wouldn't stop her being on the water so could be done.

The engine, box, shaft, prop have been left for about 10 years also. I just have to show a pic of this when I get them off the camera.

I asked the owner when she was last turned over or in use. Mumble,mumble I think he said.

The exhaust, is that what that thing was.

Every nut and bolt on the engine and box are seized or going to snap as soon as you touch them. Some will go from 15mm down to 12mm before you get a chance to have any hope of using a spanner on them.

The entire woodwork is bare on the top deck and some is wet and needs replacing.

I have to stop here because it just gets worse

I never even bothered looking at the sails as I knew what I was going to be looking at.

£12,500 was wanted. ($20,400 us)

So after the look around the owner asked me what I thought?

I wanted the earth to open up and get me away quick from him because I ripped him to bits for having the cheek to place an advert for a pile a rotten junk which is basically now just a shell to start from again and call it a boat.

I asked why it had come to be in such a state of neglect and abuse, mumble, mumble again.

It used to be a beautiful boat in it's day and he is stuck in his head it will be again but doesn't see the boat is a total re-build project and worthless.

I left him with an offer of £1,500 and said this would be a favour to be rid of it from where it is because if it sits there any longer it's going to become entombed on the spot.

So if anyone wants a yacht, like I knew already, keep away from UK owned/priced yachts as they are living in cuckoo land over here with what they think their boats are worth.

They seem to think the book price for a mint condition boat is what theres is worth.

i'm going to look at a few more scattered around.

This is what I went to see.

http://www.dickies.co.uk/used-boats/...mentID=3275823

i'll post back tomorrow after I go look again somewhere else.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:53 AM   #58
Lieutenant

Quote:

Attachment 1721

Have you noticed what is in the states is twice as much boat for the same price, well nearly or the same boat for almost half the price. Nothing in the UK is worth it unless it becomes under half the asking price.

That is a 1979 32' boat, and very nice outside, I actually love the look of her in the pictures as she looks very well maintained and clean but 32' I will not buy. I have set my target at 34' min, but i would prefer 36' - 38' range.

The boat is £25,900 ($42,230!!)

If it was big enough i'd only offer half of that.

I am only looking to spend £12,000 sterling, ($19500 us) MAX

For this i'm now looking in the price range of £14,000 - £24,000, ($22,000- $39,000) until i can get one on my original £12000 I actually have.

Feel free to search the UK but you will see we have the worst prices anywhere in the world for boats and yachts.

Saying that you may find a jewel or two among them.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #59
Admiral

Quote:

Have you noticed what is in the states is twice as much boat for the same price, well nearly or the same boat for almost half the price. Nothing in the UK is worth it unless it becomes under half the asking price.

That is a 1979 32' boat, and very nice outside, I actually love the look of her in the pictures as she looks very well maintained and clean but 32' I will not buy. I have set my target at 34' min, but i would prefer 36' - 38' range.

The boat is £25,900 ($42,230!!)

If it was big enough i'd only offer half of that.

I am only looking to spend £12,000 sterling, ($19500 us) MAX

For this i'm now looking in the price range of £14,000 - £24,000, ($22,000- $39,000) until i can get one on my original £12000 I actually have.

Feel free to search the UK but you will see we have the worst prices anywhere in the world for boats and yachts.

Saying that you may find a jewel or two among them.
Three important matters that should be factored in when buying a boat in the USA for delivery to the UK and that is the cost of a delivery crew, the cost of commissioning the boat for the Atlantic passage and the VAT that UK customs will levy on the boat.

Whereas the Rival mentioned is already in Scotland and the tax PAID.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #60
Commander

I think if you go aboard more boats you will find that 32' is not that much smaller than 34', and indeed it all depends on the make and model of the boat. Some 34' boats will have a much bigger cockpit and smaller cabin and actually have less space than a 32' boat with smaller cockpit and bigger cabin, etc.

Take a look at Freedom yachts. Even the ketches (especially the ketches). No need to replace standing rigging if there isn't any!

Also look at Watkins. I love their 32/33 model, and they have a nice 36 as well. These were very stoutly built boats!

Cal also made a lot of good boats- many in the sailboat hall of fame!