Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-31-2006, 08:32 AM   #1
Admiral

Default MV Watermelon blog

We've been on the move, though nothing particularly ambitious. Here's the blog address: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/mvmelon/

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:50 PM   #2
Ensign

very nice blog Jeanne

Sorry to hear about your Block Island disapointment. Seems to me that the politic-me-off antics have taken over the island by the people who live there that want a private city to their own and complain after the tourist season that they didn't make enough to live there anymore and wonder why. The good days are all but memories now.

On a side note, the island basically shuts down by the time october hits- hence no lobster, you probably can't even buy diesel there now without jerry canning it from the one gas station (maybe Champlins behind the office, they don't even buy power from the island, they generate their own).

sv Serendipity
Jim Wasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:30 PM   #3
Admiral

Jim, sometimes the problem Peter and I have is we remember what a place like that was like 40 years ago. Block Island isn't the only place that surprises us with its changes, it just happened to be the most glaring, and I regret that we couldn't be there after Labor Day when all the vacationers have finally all gone home.

I grew up in a summer community, and although we knew that our property taxes were very low because of all the summer homes that didn't burden our school system, sometimes those pushy "outsiders" could be very wearing. I don't blame the locals most of the time. After the fifth person on a summer Saturday decides that they should be allowed to walk through your backyard to get to the lake to go swimming, or parks in front of your house because it's closer than the posted parking lot, you start wondering if it's really worth it. Not everybody has such a long memory to remember that property taxes, now over $6,000 a year since all those "summer people" decided to make it a year-round home and overwhelm the small country school system, were once $75.00 a year!

When you go cruising full-time, try to remember that in many countries of the world, where you anchor is somebody's back yard. A smile and a "thank you" goes a long way.

One of the pleasant surprises, that I sometimes forget to emphasize, was how nice people were most places we went. New Englanders have a reputation for being cold and unfriendly, which I think is unfair and untrue.

And I try to remember that cruising is as much a state of mind as a specific location or destination.

SY WATERMELON |

Old 02-05-2007, 11:24 PM   #4
Admiral

It's been a while, since we've been on land for the holidays, but we've back on the boat for a month now, and have started moving again, albeit very slowly. I've just posted a new entry to the blog, though our internet connection is so terrible that it probably could use some editing. For now, though, it's the best I can do.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/mvmelon/

SY WATERMELON |

Old 02-09-2007, 07:36 AM   #5
Lieutenant

Home Port: Port Huron
Send a message via AIM to Duane2312

I enjoyed reading your blog.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:36 AM   #6
Admiral

Thank you. Sometimes it can be pretty boring. we should start moving again soon.

SY WATERMELON |

Old 02-09-2007, 04:26 PM   #7
Commander

It is a nice blog. When are you installing the mast and sails?

Aloha Spike
Old 07-14-2007, 02:43 PM   #8
Admiral

Still no mast and sails, but a few new postings to the blog, our Baltic Adventure.

SY WATERMELON |

Old 07-14-2007, 03:27 PM   #9
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

wait a minute... so you're turning your MV into a SV?? can you do that??? I wouldn't think a MV would be engineered to support the weight and pressure of a mast and sails.... what all is entailed in installing a mast and sails on a MV??

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 04:16 PM   #10
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Quote:
wait a minute... so you're turning your MV into a SV?? can you do that???
Just joking!

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote