Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-05-2007, 12:03 PM   #15
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi Jeremy,

Penetrol is in my opinion one of those `must-haves` on any boat. I have not used it as a timber treatment on its own, but on your recommendation I will do a test strip to see how it holds up.

Cheers

David

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 04:17 AM   #16
Admiral

Hi Folks,

I used to be the proud owner of a Nantucket 38 .

The figure 38 applied not only to the length of the boat in feet, but also to 38 acres of brightwork.

When I bought "Laid Back" , I spent weeks varnishing with the most expensive/excellent/longlasting varnish that money could buy.

18 months later I did a Marine Survey course with Wooden Boat School in Maine - New England. Saw many wooden boats - Also many wooden houses with wooden window frames , that appear to be varnished - however, I learnt that many were not varnished but were protected from the elements with a wood stain/preservative.

So on returning to my boat I found that the varnish that I had spent so much time and money on, was showing definite signs of fading/peeling. Well bite on the bullet - off to Mong Kok - buy paint stripper, sand paper, sanding machine and 5 litres of Cuprinol - check :-

http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/garden_...r_overview.html

Applied with cloth pad - less than a mornings work - thereafter, applied every spring - even though there was no sign of deterioration.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:43 AM   #17
Commander

Wow! You guys really put a lot of effort into this. Francis...great post and amazing amount of work! I have no teak and now I'm really happy about it.

No breadfruit can be reached when the picking stick is too short.
Spike_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 09:02 PM   #18
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
So on returning to my boat I found that the varnish that I had spent so much time and money on, was showing definite signs of fading/peeling. Well bite on the bullet - off to Mong Kok - buy paint stripper, sand paper, sanding machine and 5 litres of Cuprinol - check :-

http://www.cuprinol.co.uk/products/garden_...r_overview.html

Applied with cloth pad - less than a mornings work - thereafter, applied every spring - even though there was no sign of deterioration.
I am familiar with Cuprinol products. My father used one of their range many years ago to protect our garden fence. I can not say that just that product was suitable for brightwork as it gave the wood a greenish hue but it did seem to offer good protection.

I am interested to know how long have you been using Cuprinol and exactly which product have you used?

Many thanks for the info.

Stephen

yacht NAUSIKAA

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:37 AM   #19
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
I am familiar with Cuprinol products. My father used one of their range many years ago to protect our garden fence. I can not say that just that product was suitable for brightwork as it gave the wood a greenish hue but it did seem to offer good protection.

I am interested to know how long have you been using Cuprinol and exactly which product have you used?

Many thanks for the info.

Stephen

yacht NAUSIKAA
My Apologies, Stephen I have been using Cuprinol since 1997 - I used a product that was designed for house windows and external woodwork. The Link I sent you appeared to be for garden fences , decks etc.

The Colour I used was "Teak" - I will go to my local paint supplier and get updated info.

I cannot tell you how much it changed my life - It really worked here in the tropics

Richard