Another option (but not one for the faint hearted) is to remove all the teak trim by drilling out the old screw plugs with a forstner bit (assuming that the original builder did not glue but kept with the traditional method of screw and plug) take them home and belt or orbital sand them. Reinstall with new teak plugs using the original holes. Then varnish as per the usual upteen coats etc. Saves masking and avoids any accidental scratching of any bulkheads or surrounding surfaces from sanding in place.
We just did this on our Alajuela Cutter. From start to finish it took a fortnight and the results are fantastic and believe me, we had a mountain of teak trim!
But be warned!
Unfortunately like the woman who buys the new dress and then decides that it doesn't match her shoes, handbag, curtains, upholstery or car (no sexism intended
) while we had the trim off, we also took the opportunity to replace all the bench top laminates throughout Mico.
We then decided our teak and holly cabin sole was looking rather dark and dowdy - so it was a sand back, mask the entire insides of our vessel including headliner, and then spray 8 coats of 2 pack gloss varnish with a light sand between each.
With a new gleaming cabin sole which lightens the entire yacht - we then noticed that the old teak plate, bowl & cup rack screwed to the main bulkhead was also letting the side down; so after a couple of days at the drawing board, plans were drawn up to build a large teak bookcase with double glass fronted doors which integrates a rack for all the crockery and glasses.
The bookcase has come up a treat but now doesn't match the old cabinet in the heads area. Easily fixed - we built a new one in the same style.
At that stage we thought "oh what the hell" and found ourselves replacing all the shelving throughout to match the new furniture.
This morning I was looking at our pen - some of the timber work on the jetty looks a bit run down and .......