Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-19-2005, 11:18 AM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie
Default Weather Instruments on board

I have been looking at a wireless weather station with wind speed and direction, barometric pressure and history, temperature etc which is marketed through Australian Geographic Society. I think it is made by Western Technologies (I think Davies Instruments make a similar product) and can be powered from the boat's 12 volt system, or by 'AA' batteries. It appears rugged and is far less expensive than those systems designed for marine use and available from the local chandlery. Is buying such a system false economy? I would love to hear from anyone who has installed a similar system and who can provide some advice.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 01:31 PM   #2
Lieutenant

Auzzee

Is this the one you can buy at the Post Office.. saw something similiar once and wanted to have a look but as usual was in a hurry...

If not , give us a www. so we can all look at it and decide... does sound OK though..

rumrunner

Melbourne, Australia.

Web: https://www.sailblogs.com/member/rumrunner/?xjMsgID=5680</font id="size1">
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 01:44 PM   #3
Admiral

Hi Brian, the weather station is in stock at all Australian Geographic Shops. Take a gander on http://editorial.australiangeographic.com/

Then go to 'online store' and click on 'weather'. It is the third product on the list at Au.$599. Best wishes. David

Old 09-19-2005, 01:48 PM   #4
Admiral

....More......Sorry, make that the fourth product on the list. Not shown in the photo is the anemometer and windvane.

Old 09-19-2005, 06:40 PM   #5
Admiral

Looks like something I'd love for my home, but not what I would need on the boat.

You need a proper wind gauge to help you sail - the one made for boats, mounted on the mast tells you wind speed and direction relative to the bow of your boat. That you need, but I don't think this weather station provides that.

You should have a barometer in order to see that changes, to help you anticipate sudden local squalls. Do you need a $600 barometer?.

For the rest, in my opinion it's just something to carry along that you really won't find very useful. You need long distance weather forecasting, not the local conditions, in order to plan a departure or be prepared once you're out. That's where a good HF radio is important, to keep you advised of the weather "out there" and headed your way.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 07:42 AM   #6
Gord May

What JeanneP said ...

Gord
Old 09-20-2005, 03:11 PM   #7
Commander

You probably have most of the stuff already on board, a barometer, thermometer, etc. Also a home type weather station may be water proof but is it 'salt water proof'? Think it over before parting with the dough; it could be cheaper to add individual items of what you need to what you already have.

Cheers Peter