Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-30-2010, 03:44 AM   #1
Ensign

Hello out there

I am new to this so please forgive me if my enquiry is a bit on the boring side or has little interest for you. But for anyone who cares to give me some advice I would greatly appreciate it?

Myself and my wife, Denise, are currently exploring the possibilities of purchasing a second hand yacht in Europe to use sailing and exploring the Eastern Med during the summer months, while returning to Australia during the Med winters. I have a long background in sailing, but not so much in cruising, Denise has only day sailed.

We have looked at some yachts in Italy and one that took my fancy was a Grand Soleil 46.3, perhaps moreso for its performance capabilities, rather than its cruising comforts. We looked at several GS46.3's and other yachts around the same size and were somewhat astonished to learn that the majority of the yachts we looked at were being sold because their owners had purchased larger yachts? We are now thinking that if this yacht is to be more like a home, away from home, we should consider a few more comforts and to this end have placed on our list of inclusions, not necessarily in any order of importance, nor comprehensive, but the following - a large well protected cockpit, including good sun protection. A bow thruster. Electric winches. Watermaker. Sullage tanks ( apart from trying to be as green as possible we might like to bring the yacht back to Australia when our adventure is over ) Generator, and just so the little woman doesn't feel too alienated, a washing machine. I realise I could go into a host of electronics inclusions and other devices inclusive of safety but don't want to make my quandry too extensive?

We would also like a yacht that is generally regarded as well built, safe and one that may retain its resale value as best as possible. We are a retired couple and will be living on our meagre accumulated wealth which we cannot afford to squander hastily, no government or other pensions for us.

While I understand that there is a lot of personal preference in my question, I ask it all the same, what yacht would you reccomend and what size? I hope we get some answers from people who have done, or are dooing what we intend to do.

At the moment I am leaning towards a Moody 46, 2001 vintage, your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated?