Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-26-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
Ensign

Hello everyone!

My name is Matias, and I am preparing myself to cycle around the world to support and raise funds for the NGO LIBERA! (http://www.liberaong.org/), which specializes in the welfare and protection of wild animals in captivity. My expedition will start in Melbourne, Australia, in August 2010, and I will try to cycle all the way up to Madrid (where I am living at the moment), visiting Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Brunei, Indonesia, all South-East Asia, China, Middle-East and center-Europe on the way. As you can see, I will have to jump from island to island before reaching the asian continent, and the first issue is how to get from Cairns, to West Papua, in Indonesia. I first considered traveling by yatch from Cairns to Port Moresby, but I still haven't found any information on yatchs or boats traveling following that route.

So my question would be the following: ¿do you think it's possible for me to hitchhike between these two cities? My aim is to reach Indonesia, which is well communicated with the Philippines by ferries, hopefully visiting some other islands along the way, like PNG, the Solomon Islands, or even Palau on my way to Davao. ¿Where could I get information about this matter? I don't want to catch any planes if possible, for that would break the chain of trying to reach my final destination all by land or on the surface of the planet.

I am also aware that my bike and equipment can be an impediment for taking me as crew member of a yatch, buy it can be folded and be stored quite neately.

Any advice or help on the matter would be more that appreciated! All the best in your travels,

Matias

Tags
cairns