Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-21-2010, 02:13 AM   #15
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by unaustralian' date='18 April 2010 - 11:04 AM View Post

Well, thanks all, for putting me in my place. People like me clearly need it.... you will note that I asked for advice, not passage... I'm quite aware of the fairly unrealistic nature of my dream plan but dreams can, with some effort in the right places, become reality.
You're getting some very good advice here, its just not the advice you want to hear. You started the thread by saying it was to avoid flying, and described yourself as a "scruffy hitchiker" which is a big red flag. The responses you recieved were completley legitimate based on your OP.

What people are trying to tell you is a captain needs to be 110% comfortable with their crew. Blue water sailing is psychologically demanding more than physically, especially for newbies. Consequently Captains are rightly very picky about who they take on board, and the point the posters are making is your reasons for going to sea will dictate how well you handle it and how easy you will be for the skipper to manage.

As you have managed to take their comments as a personal attack, you would be too sensitive to crew on my boat or any boat I have crewed on. If you think you are being put in your place by the people on this thread, I can't imagine what you would think of instructions delivered to you by a skipper in a potentially dangerous situation. You will need to adjust that attitude significantly before seeking to crew, even inshore. A yacht on the open ocean is no place for preciousness and the last place you should be to learn the fundamentals. Lighten up.

If you really want to travel by yacht hopping, do yourself a favour by getting your skills up first. Go to a yacht club (looking more respectable than scruffy) and ask if they hold twilight races, and say you want to learn to sail so you can be a ueful crewmember on long passages. Not all of them will accept you with open arms at first but be persistent (and polite!). Once you have learnt to manage the equipment, and have experienced different skippers under pressure, you will have a better idea of your ability and be better value as a crew member. And if you actually like it - sometimes its like to being in a caravan rolling sideways down a hill.

There are skippers out there who will take a passenger along for companionship, but that can also hope for "extras" of an acrobatic nature you may or may not not be prepared to perform. Be very clear up front.

http://www.women-on-...yacht-jobs.html

http://www.latitude3...wlist/Crew.html

Good luck.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:24 AM   #16
Ensign

Reaper, you edited the bits out of that particular post that make me sound much more aggrieved and precious than I am...

I would have hoped that a bit of irony came across in describing myself as a scruffy hitch-hiking cyclist, but obviously not - cyberspace is a tricky terrain for communicating subtleties.

I appreciate all the advice I've received here and even thanked people for it and I thank you also, Reaper, for the time you took to comment.

I think avoiding flying is a valid position, for many and varied reasons.

I'm not sure if I'm the only person who needs to lighten up around here.

Cheers.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:54 AM   #17

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by unaustralian' date='20 April 2010 - 05:41 AM View Post

Yes, the idea of canoe/kayak definitely appeals, although I think it would be a separate trip. When I was travelling in the Yukon and British Columbia I met a lot of people who where cyclists and canoeists but they seldom mixed the two for some reason - maybe because it's possible to carry a bike on a canoe but not so easy to carry a canoe on a bike.

A LOT of my current trip has been in mountains... (and so why do I find myself on a sail forum....? well, because the sea is my first love, I guess...)
Google "bike towing canoe"... think outside the box.

Why exactly IS IT that you're avoiding flyng? There are many reasons--but what is YOUR reason?

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:00 AM   #18
Ensign

Quote:
Google "<a href="http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&amp;rls=en&amp;q=bike+towing+c anoe&amp;sourceid=opera&amp;ie=utf-8&amp;oe=utf-8" class="bbc_url" title="External link" rel="nofollow external">bike

towing canoe</a>"... think outside the box.
Not over the Sierra Madre or the Andes, I think ;-)
Old 04-22-2010, 05:13 AM   #19

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by unaustralian' date='20 April 2010 - 08:00 PM View Post

Not over the Sierra Madre or the Andes, I think ;-)
What do the Sierra Madre or the Andes have to do with your water travel?

Further, since air travel is your cheapest option (other than leeching off someone with a boat...) you haven't answered my direct question about why you don't wish to travel by air.

I wasn't doing conjecture here, I was seriously trying to help you find an independent and adventuresome way for you, the non-sailor who wants to travel by water, to get VIA THE WATER closer to your goal--umm... wasn't it Cuba??? and aren't you "in Central America at the moment" ???

ergo-- bike+canoe = independent traveling so you won't be dealing with a bunch of yachtsmen who either expect crew to already be experienced sailors or to be interested in an intimate relationship.

However, I'm done with your topic. Back to square 1, or is it zero?

Fair winds

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:01 AM   #20
Ensign

I don't really have a concise, black and white, answer about the air travel... mostly I just don't like it (how can you know where you are going if you take no part in it) but I do fly at times (my godmother is sick in London and I might well end up having to fly there sometime in the next six months, or so, if I want to see her again).

The idea of the canoe is a good one as, I think, I acknowledged but there are some logistical difficulties, that I can see, with combining it with a long term bike trip... and - this is a serious question from someone who has little experience with traversing the ocean - is travelling to Cuba by canoe viable? Casting my eyes over the map it looks to be around 100 miles (land ones) by the shortest distance between the Mexican Coast and Cuba - doesn't that count as an open water crossing?

I don't really know why there is such a high level of resentment and so little humour here... I only asked, and I was completely honest about my level of skill (zero), and maybe too self-depreciating (which is very australian of me) about my motives, etc... it's not like I can force my way onto anybody's boat if they don't want me... it's not even that I wouldn't pay for passage on a boat... my first thought was a cargo boat, of some sort, but that also isn't a very viable option to Cuba which doesn't do a lot of trade with the neighbouring countries.

I'm not looking for freebies and hand-outs, although I do often look for ways to do things that are alternatives to the $ economy...

However, I can see that I haven't fallen in amongst a bunch of like-minded people here and so maybe I am also done with this forum now but, nonetheless, a very genuine thank you to all who have contributed time to this thread. There is always something to be learnt from the world at large.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:54 PM   #21
Ensign

Hi,

It will not be easy to accomplish your dreams

Other wise everyone would be living them

Thanks,

Alan

p.s. Don't we all need to lighten up? I know I do.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:00 AM   #22
Ensign

Home Port: Palm Beach
Default Encouragement

Dear Unaustralian,

I would like to give you a little encouragement. If you want to include over the water transits into your itinerary, just get yourself to where boats are getting ready to leave. Grease your chain, a bottle of vaseline will do wonders. Strap it to the leeward shrouds and off you go. Most trips will just be a few days at most.

Be cheerful and willing to take the wee hours watches, offer to cook and bring some grub. You will be fine. I have taken bikes, drag queens, air conditioners, scooters and even a washing machine - just because I wanted to do it. Remember - opportunity is where you find it and in your case, it will not be in Central Mexico at a Wifi hotspot but at the marina/yacht club.