Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #1

My friend says he defies you to keep a straight face.

http://gizmodo.com/5632159/this-is-h...a-cruise-liner

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

I didn't laugh or smile. I just don't have that kind of sense of humor I suppose. I was horrified to think of those poor passengers. They don't think of a cruise as something risky at all.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
Commander

Great video...sorry, I laughed.

No breadfruit can be reached when the picking stick is too short.
Spike_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:58 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

Wrong place, wrong time -- 400nm north of NZ and early August. It's a fairly notorious storm belt even in the late spring and early summer months. Not where and when I'd like to be on a cruise liner.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
Rear Admiral

Home Port: Hamburg
Vessel Name: Aquaria

...it was in 1968, I was 10 years old, when I had that "chance" to be on the North Sea (German Bight) on a 50m daycruise passenger ship during one of those autumn "storms" (forces 7 to 8, ghusts up to 9) . Everything was okay as long as the ship was making headway against the tremendous waves. But one of them threw the ship off course and then having the sea from abeam (This I know from my father). And the chaos started and this own experience I will not forget: the same situation as in the video - luckily the tables and benches were fixed to the floor, so "only" chairs and passengers were tossed around. But there were some of the starboard panoramic windows destroyed and green water was moving through the restaurant deck. Still very young, I was not so aware of theoretic possibilities of capsizing or sinking, but it was a borderline experience I don't want to have again. The ship made it into port, accompanied by rescue boats and quite some passengers had to be transferred to the hospital. NO, THIS VIDEO IS NOT FUNNY AT ALL.

Uwe

SY Aquaria

More on my Centurion 32:
http://www.cabinetdeparodontologie.n...ria/index.html
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Germany, Background, Cruising/Sailing the German Bight
Aquaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
Commander

Home Port: Edinburgh
Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

Having sailed in the Great lakes on Huron during a Storm and far enough out to be safe and unfortunately, far enough out to be near the shipping channels for the freighters. That meant someone making sure a lamp was in the sails. Since we had not deck lamps to do the duty without a person manning them, well we took turns. Not something I enjoyed and I was one of the lucky ones who got to do my turn before dinner was served. No the Video is not funny, not funny at all. Than again being Medically trained makes it even less funny. Sorry don't mean to be rude just honest. Michael
Old 09-24-2010, 04:27 PM   #7
Admiral

I concur completely with Uwe's (Aquaria) comments.

When I was a child I too experienced a storm force 10 in the North Sea aboard a 3,000 ton Norwegian vessel. It was not funny but I did learn something - that a ship has to be built to withstand that kind of weather. Tables and chairs need to be secured. In later life, as a cadet and ship's officer, I sailed through many storms - typhoons and cyclones as well as the "normal" Atlantic depressions. The ships pitched and rolled, sometimes over 35 degrees each side of the vertical but, though it may have been uncomfortable, the ships were built to withstand this. The problem arrises when ships, built to transport people who are unacustomed to the sea, are built not to roll. Stabalizers are fitted and, providing all works well, the passangers find them very comfortable. The problem arrises when, for one reasomn or another, they do start rolling. On a large, modern cruise ship or ferry it has been established that panic will break out at a 5 degree angle of roll!

I ask myself, have we made any advances here? Stabalizers work but only provided the ship is making way through the water. Once she is obliged to stop they cease to work. Also, in really bad weather they have to be taken in to avoid damage. In such circumstances, ships start rolling heavily and damage occurs.

Aside from such items as navigational aids, engine reliability and fire-proofing which has improved dramatically, ships are, in my opinion, less safe than they were 30 years ago. This, coupled with the sheer size and capacity of modern vessels, will one day cost a lot of lives. Add this to the fact that ships now, due to the "benefits" of global warming are probing further and further into high latitudes which, generally, are not so well surveyed, and we have a very serious risk factor.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:06 AM   #8
Admiral

Imagine heading into this cyclonic storm - the outer wall so well defined :

cycloneg.jpg
Old 09-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #9
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

Stephen,

You are as normal correct and point out a very important part of observation. Being able to see and learn from what you are seeing. Thank you.

Michael
Old 09-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #10
Rear Admiral

Home Port: Hamburg
Vessel Name: Aquaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post

Aside from such items as navigational aids, engine reliability and fire-proofing which has improved dramatically, ships are, in my opinion, less safe than they were 30 years ago. This, coupled with the sheer size and capacity of modern vessels, will one day cost a lot of lives. Add this to the fact that ships now, due to the "benefits" of global warming are probing further and further into high latitudes which, generally, are not so well surveyed, and we have a very serious risk factor.

Aye┬*┬*//┬*┬*Stephen
Hearing that from an expert in naval matters is frightening! ┬*So far I believed that, no matter what course, a total loss like the ferry ESTONIA (Baltic Sea between Estonia nad Sweden) brought a big improvement in passenger ship safety! ┬*I am not en expert but imagining one of these huge highrise bulidings in heavy seas... where does the moment of uprightening end? 35┬░? ┬*I better stop imagining things at this point.

Uwe

Sy Aquaria┬*

More on my Centurion 32:
http://www.cabinetdeparodontologie.n...ria/index.html
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Germany, Background, Cruising/Sailing the German Bight
Aquaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:13 AM   #11
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaria View Post

Hearing that from an expert in naval matters is frightening! So far I believed that, no matter what course, a total loss like the ferry ESTONIA (Baltic Sea between Estonia nad Sweden) brought a big improvement in passenger ship safety! I am not en expert but imagining one of these huge highrise bulidings in heavy seas... where does the moment of uprightening end? 35┬░? I better stop imagining things at this point.

Uwe

Sy Aquaria
Well, we have better understanding of stability and stress issues than 30 years ago, and we do have better rules and regulations. But if you look at those highrise buildings, you will find that they wear a panamian flag. Hopefully it is "just" tax evasion, but who knows...

Remember that "canadian" school ship sinking not so long ago, carrying canadian, US and EU kids, operated by a canadian company, but sailing under panamian flag? I still don't know whether it was built to canadian standards. From the few information available it is suspicious whether rules regarding damaged stability were observed.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #12
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwas View Post

Remember that "canadian" school ship sinking not so long ago, carrying canadian, US and EU kids, operated by a canadian company, but sailing under panamian flag? I still don't know whether it was built to canadian standards. From the few information available it is suspicious whether rules regarding damaged stability were observed.
Please provide a link to the facts, regarding the above post. Was there an official enquiry finding and/or a coroner's inquest?
Old 10-06-2010, 04:42 PM   #13

this one?

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2010-02/20/c_13180727.htm

Also, see this blog about it concordia inquiry blog

If it was the Concordia, its flag state was Barbados. That confuses me, since the same article - Canada TSB investigates claims that the boat was Canadian-owned and operated. So how come a Barbadian flag?

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:43 PM   #14
Commander

The TSB of Canada has not yet released their finding to the public or on their website. The Maritime Board of Barbados has not released their report either and they where the country of Registry for the SV Concordia. The Vessel had passed An inspection by the Canadian government to operate as a floating classroom. No coroners inquest is currently in the pipeline according to TSB as this is a no fault investigation on their part. All information was gather via the TSB and Canadian Google. The MB of Barbados does not electronically link their reports to the Internet for reasons unknown to me (since the TSB, USDOT, and MCA do). That is current information as I have was able to find.

Michael