Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #71
Ensign

Home Port: Sydney

Saturday the 22nd or monday the 24th is the best for me at this stage. I travel back to work on the 25th so if we miss those dates due to Christmas commitments or whatever it won't be until the new year. I'm back for 2 weeks from the 10th of Jan. Let me know if Jan is better for you. It may give you more time to work out which lines you need to run. I've sent you a message so you now have my number as well.

As a bonus I'm only a few suburbs away from you in Chiswick so Woolwich is pretty easy.

Due to time constraints before Jan, If you want to do it before christmas I probably won't just be coming for a look. I'll have my stuff ready to go if you can have yours organised. All I need is a rough diameter of your mast at the base and top to work out what slings would be best.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #72
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

That's because it's Orstraya, mate!
Good onya Pete, it's blokes like you who help make the world a better place.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #73
Admiral

Home Port: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Keppelena

Pete, Monday 24th would have less water traffic - and therefore wake disturbance - so it seems best, especially since most people will be doing Xmas stuff.

Trouble is I've never rigged a yacht before and don't really know what I need. As far as I can tell (and as Auzzee pointed out) the main halyard (or maybe jib halyard?) has slipped up the mast, with the wire end coiled on top of the cabin roof and rope end going up the front of the mast, probably to a knot at the top. There's also a wire to a rotary winch that goes up the port side of the mast, unsure if that's for the main or jib but it won't shift either. There's no third halyard present and there's an empty jack-type winch on the starboard side.

We also have two 3mm wires originating from the mast halfway between the top and the spreader that go out to the ends of the spreader then wind their way down the side stays and dangle into space, I have no idea where they're supposed to attach.

The base of the mast is 7" x 5" (18cm x 13cm) and narrows above the spreader to about half that size. My guess at the height would be about 40ft (12m). Hope this all helps.

Didn't see any PM from you.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #74
Ensign

Home Port: Sydney

We'll work it out on the day mate. 24th is good for me. I sms'd you at 21.20 last night so you should have my mobile number now. I'll be in touch for more details after the 20th.

Have you got / need to install, a Windex, lighting, antenna's or anything while I'm up there? might be worth thinking about.

Cheers.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:25 AM   #75
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I think the wires from the mast to the spreaders are the remnants of running stays. One thing is for sure, you'll know the boat backwards and inside out when you get her fully prepped and sailing.

All that and you're having fun as well!

Best wishes..

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #76
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_winning View Post
We'll work it out on the day mate. 24th is good for me. I sms'd you at 21.20 last night so you should have my mobile number now. I'll be in touch for more details after the 20th.

Have you got / need to install, a Windex, lighting, antenna's or anything while I'm up there? might be worth thinking about.

Cheers.
Got your SMS, thanks.

I'd already been considering a UHF ham antenna and a windex is also a great idea. The VHF antenna doesn't need to be mounted so high. Really depends what I can get my hands on within 12 days, I usually shop Asia via ebay and they take longer to deliver.

I'll get you to remove the spreader light, it's both the wrong colour for the side it's on and non-standard. There's a small bit of exposed timber near it where the old light was removed but painting that would probably be too much trouble.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #77
Admiral

And do let me know if I need some more rope, it would be a bit embarrassing to get you over here and not have what's needed. The 20 metres I have was probably bought for jib sheets, it isn't long enough for anything else.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:20 AM   #78
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
That's because it's Orstraya, mate!
Out bogging the cabin roof this afternoon and a 40' cabin cruiser with about 25 drunks aboard chunders past.

"Show us your dick!" yells one particularly inebriated blonde.

Now that's Orstraya mate.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #79
Admiral

Bought some timber the other day to replace the side bash rails aft which were rotted out. Due to measuring error I bought the wrong stuff so instead made a start on the rear seating area (totally missing) which needed a couple of 8ft lengths of 35mm x 70mm hardwood as a base anyhow.

I'm still considering how to repair the port side of the open cabin section (photo posted earlier in post #13) which really needs to be pulled out totally. The timber yard tell me they can do routing so I may get them to make it rather than messing with a coping saw. I'm pretty sure I could cut the window frame but it will look prettier if they do it. Shudder to think of the cost of 25mm marine ply but it has to be done.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:57 AM   #80
Admiral

An ordinary day of bogging, sanding and cutting hardwood. Got bored with TV tonight after 20 minutes and went looking for something to fix. I found the navigation lights didn't work and traced that to a broken fuse holder. We now have a green one, I suspect the port lamp has blown. Will check the sizes and order LEDs for them tomorrow.

The new batteries are heaps better but I still need more charging capacity, tend to be spending all my nights in semi-darkness to conserve energy. Thankfully Del has offered me his 100W wind generator when he replaces it later in the summer. Could have used that today, it has been blowing a gale again.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:36 AM
nhattao888
This message has been deleted by Auzzee. Reason: spam
Old 12-15-2012, 07:35 AM   #81
Admiral

Hardwood rails for the seating base are in place now. This section was totally missing when I got the boat - along with the tiller - and in all likelihood had simply rotted away and been discarded.

The crappy ply cover stays until I get a roof over the working area to stop rain water filling the bilges. I'm probably going to make that with the solar panels to get them off the cabin roof and out of the shade of the sails.

One small problem is that I can't totally enclose the rear because the boom overhangs the roof. I'll think of something ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rails.jpg (88.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg seating.jpg (99.6 KB, 0 views)

Old 12-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #82
Admiral

Navigation lights are now running. I had already bought some LEDs for my car and they were never used, it needs longer ones.

Also painted the door to the head in the same grey used on the hull and some internal walls. Now it's visible instead of vanishing into the hallway wall. While I was at it a heap of old broken door catches were removed and the resultant holes filled. Much tidier.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #83
Admiral

Repaired and painted a VHF antenna mount. Dug out dry rot around a window frame and hit it with Everdure, will apply some filler tomorrow.

Got the shower working!! That's a big one, feeling much better.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:50 AM   #84
Admiral

A few more photos:

1. Started on the repairs to the deck. "I came, I saw, I concreted."
2. Bent side rails. Will remove the wire and straighten these soon.
3. Rot in the cabin roof. Difficult repair with compound curves.
4. Window frame ready for patching.
5. Historic steam ferry going past my mooring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg concrete.jpg (83.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg rails.jpg (99.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg side rot.jpg (78.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg window.jpg (90.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg steamer.jpg (14.3 KB, 1 views)