Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard > The Galley
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #15
Home Port: Edinburgh
Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

With the elderly there is a problem and it is becoming a problem among sections of society in Italy. You have to remember though Italy is very stubborn about how we live our lives. We eat well but not too much as that is not good for and we know that sweets will kill us (diabetes is THE No1 killer in Italy). So for us it eat well have the bitter with the sweet and watch the carb's. It is very interesting that societies that are high carbohydrate also all have high obesity problems, while those that are more balanced or have a higher fat/oil intake don't have these problems. The public published experts would have you believe that fats are the enemy of good health; being a physician with advance training and practice in nutrition I don't agree. Than again who am I but a good student of the body and known proven biological functions, compared to published great persons that are so well paid to give their opinions . Sorry, one of my soapboxes/hot buttons, have done way too much palliative care for those who are dealing with the mid to later stages of diseases born from bad diet that will quote the garbage at me like it is scripture, when in reality there is little real fact behind those positions and what is there is twisted. Again my apologies, very hot button. I have been told that I care too much for my patients and it gets me in trouble.

Now back to discussions of Fish and fishing which is not only for the body as food but also for the enjoyment of the doing.

Edited to add a bit of lightness to a heavy response

What you see in the Universe, sees you.
chiroeurope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:41 AM   #16
Rear Admiral

G'day all. First - Michael - "With the elderly there is" always a problem & in all ways. No apologies necessary for - very hot button - am sure as eggs - that 99% of us agree. Am equally sure that with Richard, yourself & others (Dr's all) we could learn a whole lot about being healthier. Now; Michael, Richard, Stephen, Charles & Kirk & crew Back to; Fishing etc etc. I've towed a few lines over a number of years. Of prime importance when fishing - to remember to 'reel the bloody line in before wrapping it around the rudder, shaft or prop. We've all - been there done that. (Even some Canucks sailing in Chile) Through much trial & even more errors I've arrived at the following. One fixed reel attached to the boat - a big one (10" -250mm) dia. c/w (200 lb/ 90k) breaking strain - 300' (100mtrs) line plus 90' (30mtrs) of 100 lb (45 k) wire trace. If I'm serious about catching fish (to fill the larder) them 3 lines - - one off center line that is short & deep ( 40 mtrs @ 8mtrs deep) 2nd one to stbd (80mtrs @ 2 to 4 mtrs deep) 3rd one 100mtrs on the surface. Like Kirk my most 'mangled' lure is bright red/orange/tangerine & about 6 to 9" (150 to 230mm) long. Haven't noticed that a 'skirt' makes a substantial difference. Many,many hours of trawling all on the East coast of Aussie land from Hobart to Broome both inside & outside of the reef. We use big hand lines when fishing in the reef while at anchor. Big fish needs big gear & thick gloves. NOW on to jerki; here in Aussie land we have a plastic square mesh used in house gutters (called 'gutter-guard- funny that) - it's about 250 to 300 mm wide - 3mm plastic semi flat c/w 25mm sq mesh. I wire two pieces together down one side about a 1/2 a mtr long - cut any & all fish into long thin strips - tie the other 3 sides together & hang it in the rigging & PRESTO 3 to 5 days in the sun I've got jerki. Mind you this is all in the hot tropics of Northern Aussie land. Over 20 years I've not had one bit go off, make me sick or last very long. Used to make about 10 ks a week when we ran a charter boat & it was never enough to last the 10 days at sea for 15 people. Hope I didn't bore you with all the details but - - fish is very healthy!! I eat about 2 ks a week both raw & cooked - fresh & salt water. Enjoy all things from the sea y'all. Ciao, jj aka SR PS no live fish comes into the cockpit - kill board across the back (clean cockpit, no blood in the sheets (ha) & still toes & fingers the way they should be) Thanks y'all & good times everybody!

Silver Raven is offline   Reply With Quote