Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard > The Galley
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-24-2010, 12:39 AM   #15

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Are you already drying your stuff or purchasing? In the USA, it's not easy to find some dried foods these days that I used to find dried easily in the 1980's. Examples of things that you used to find in a regular grocer that you cannot find now include dried powdered eggs, dried mushrooms, dried sliced potatoes (like those you get now in the Betty Crocker brand boxed potato meals) and dried whole milk (can only find dried nonfat milk now...).

If living w/o refrigeration, a combination of home or bought canned goods and dried goods goes a long way!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:21 AM   #16

Powdered whole milk is usually found in the hispanic section. East coast, in the aisle with the Goya products. We're finding more dried fruits nowadays, in bulk. Dried mushrooms in Chinatowns everywhere, or sometimes in Costco. But I can't find dried veggies, such as peas, carrots, green beans as good as what I found in Australia. Their dried veggies could be reconstituted in fresh, room temperature water, and could be used as if fresh in stir-fry dishes.

Salt dried cod is still available, and one can make a lot of different dishes with it. My favorite is Acras, a sort of spicy cod fritter.

Still, I do like canned chicken, beef, pork. That, and wine, are only exceptions to the banning of glass on our boat.

J

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:53 AM   #17

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP View Post
Powdered whole milk is usually found in the hispanic section. East coast, in the aisle with the Goya products. We're finding more dried fruits nowadays, in bulk. Dried mushrooms in Chinatowns everywhere, or sometimes in Costco. But I can't find dried veggies, such as peas, carrots, green beans as good as what I found in Australia. Their dried veggies could be reconstituted in fresh, room temperature water, and could be used as if fresh in stir-fry dishes.

Salt dried cod is still available, and one can make a lot of different dishes with it. My favorite is Acras, a sort of spicy cod fritter.

Still, I do like canned chicken, beef, pork. That, and wine, are only exceptions to the banning of glass on our boat.

J
I'll check the hispanic section carefully for the dried whole milk. The mushrooms--in DC area I could find them at regular grocers but out here in San Diego not...so...off to a Chinese grocer I go I know what you mean about good dried veggies--I used to purchase a particular brand of freeze dried corn, peas, and green beans from Adventure 16, a backpacking and wilderness supply type place. The veggies were priced right and tasted good. Now, the backpackers stuff is quite costly and tastes so-so. This makes no sense at all since most foodstuffs have gotten cheaper in the last 20 years so why the freeze dried stuff would be more costly??? don't know. It sounds like what you found in Australia was also freeze dried. One of the strangest dried foods that I sometimes crave (actually I guess it's smoked...) is the little squids that we could get in Japan. You could go into a 7-11 there and get this smoked squid-on-a-stick thing that was really tasty "junk food" . I digress...

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:41 AM   #18

The squid on a stick is all over SE Asia, I guess. It is one of the gifts that the tour guides bring with them to the Borneo Longhouses as gifts for the children. I don't remember seeing them in the chinese food stores here on the east coast, but have you tried on your side of the continent? More Japanese there, I assume.

The powdered whole milk on our side of the US is usually on the very bottom shelf, along with sweetened condensed milk. The powdered we find is 'NIDO" (by Nestle), in a yellow can, about the size of canned nuts.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:40 PM   #19
Lieutenant

Home Port: Hull
Vessel Name: Tadpole

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
Are you already drying your stuff or purchasing? In the USA, it's not easy to find some dried foods these days that I used to find dried easily in the 1980's. Examples of things that you used to find in a regular grocer that you cannot find now include dried powdered eggs, dried mushrooms, dried sliced potatoes (like those you get now in the Betty Crocker brand boxed potato meals) and dried whole milk (can only find dried nonfat milk now...).

If living w/o refrigeration, a combination of home or bought canned goods and dried goods goes a long way!
At time of writing I buy my dried provisions wherever I can find them, supermarkets & ethnic food outlets usually, but I have also recently found online sources of hard-to-find items such as dried eggs ... (try a Google search for dried eggs) ... I find that whilst dried fruits, vegetables & pulses are inexpensive, dried & smoked meat & fish tends to fall into the "luxury foods" category & are usually quite expensive ... since fishing is always possible whilst afloat I intend to focus on drying & curing meat ...

further to my previous post ... I have decided to try drying meat in an airtight container (tupperware-type) using SILICA GEL (dessicant sachets usually found in packaging) ... I have found that silica gel is available in large 250g pouches via Ebay ... when it has become saturated silica gel can be easily re-dessicated by putting it in a dry oven (about 120C) for a short period after which it can be re-used ...
Old 08-10-2016, 11:15 PM   #20
Lieutenant

Home Port: Royston

Quote:
Originally Posted by atavist View Post
One thing that comes to mind with canning meats is the portion size required for a couple of people on a boat vs the portion size for a small family... when you can mean what size jars do you use? I would think a quart mason jar would be way too much meat for a couple to eat quick enough to keep without a fridge? Little jam jars of meat would be about right I would think. and you could have a smaller canner too.

How do you store your jars in bulk so that they don't clink about in rough seas and get broken?

I use pint jars for two meals for one, or one meal for two.
Food poisoning gives off gas. If you have a vacuum when you open them, you don't have food poisoning. If you give her 15 minutes of heat in an open pan, you neutralize botulism. Do both and you eliminate the dangers completely.
I have rarely had any break on shelves, in decades of canning on board.
Just cram them, full and empty, in tightly.