Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard > The Galley
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-29-2007, 11:22 PM   #15

Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
And if you want to get your brother into trouble, a small smear of vegemite makes very convincing 'skiddies'.
Would work well on a bossy elder sister !!

MMNETSEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:29 PM   #16

Oh my, vegemite!

I was visiting a very good and dear friend in Freo last year. Sitting on the table was a small jar of vegemite. I decided I needed to expand my horizons and at least dab a finger in and taste the aromatic goo. My "chum" (that would be "friend" in the U.S. but as I learned, in Oz that's "dogfood") ... anyway, my "chum" just sat there and grinned at me. I should have known that something wasn't quite right. She's originally from the U.S., but has been a permanent fixture in WA for about 25 years now. Anyway, as I was saying, I dipped my finger into the jar, and stuck it in my mouth ... not a bad, nutty, slightly cocoa/bitter-chocolate kind of flavor ... but for a moment only. Oh my my ... the aftertaste just about ruined the rest of the day. It even wrapped itself up, into, and around my smelling unit! I tried everything to make it go away ... soda, tea, water, beer ... lots of beer ... (beer is really good in Oz!) ... and then some more beer ... but all to no avail. That taste just sat there, clinging to my tastebuds, waiting for eternity to pass. Which of course, it did, in due time ... like the next day. Vegemite may be a healthful, tasty (to the Aussies) treat ... but as they say, it is truly an acquired taste. But hey, at least I gave it a fair go!

ichyprints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:37 PM   #17
Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

We don't need to advertise to the world that feeding visitors Vegemite, is just our cute Aussie way of turning Yanks into drunkards.

The Vegemite Kid.
"if at first you don't succeed....Redefine success"!

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:51 AM   #18
Rear Admiral

In my earlier post, I related the story of our friends from Oz sending us Vegemite. Now our new neighbors from the UK {Wales} brought over some Marmite, we have yet to try. He, David despises it, spitting and sputtering in disgust Hates it, while his wife Iona loves it. Her advice is on bread or toast with a slice of wonderful cheese. I'll give it a try, in every combination.

I am mustering the courage to attempt a side by side taste test. I am adventurous, brave indeed; just waiting for a day, when I have two days afterwards for recovery, case I turn green or something.

Report to follow......{provided I live, and retain some mental capacaity}.....
When in doubt, do the right thing.

Harbor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 06:18 AM   #19

Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
Not wanting to relegate Vegemite totally, I am sure there are many uses for it other than scaring mozzies off.......

No greater honour could be bestowed by an Australian artist than to render one's portrait in Vegemite!

markje4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:52 PM   #20
Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

Here's a vegemite story.

The (Australian) company that ran the marketing campaign for vegemite -- not the company that makes the stuff, but their advertising agency basically -- opened a new office around the San Francisco bay area. They sent out hundreds of these leaflets to companies that they saw as potential clients. Attached to each leaflet was a small sample of vegemite. The leaflet said:

"If we can make 15 million people eat this stuff, imagine what we can do for your product!".
= New South Wales, Queensland,
delatbabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:01 PM   #21

Originally Posted by delatbabel View Post
"If we can make 15 million people eat this stuff, imagine what we can do for your product!".
I suppose it is a question of fooling some of the people all of the time etc. "
Yacht NAUSIKAA | Call Sign: 2AJH2

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:05 PM   #22

I once had a case of ameobic dysentary. My doctor had me drink kaopecktat (spelling?) and I developed a taste for it. I guess you can get used to almost anything.

Lew on Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote