Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Power & Electronics
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-09-2009, 12:45 PM   #15
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

I have maxsea, c-map and tsunamis 99... of the 3 tsunamis 99 is my preference by leaps and bounds... it is in my opinion much more user friendly than either of the other two systems and also has more detailed charts... (for those who are unfamiliar with tsunamis, it is commercial shipping software which has in it's base pack every admiralty chart of the world, it's actually so many charts it can get very visually confusing if you don't learn to use the view filters well.)

I know there are a lot of c-map fans out there, and no offense, but I simply don't trust it... it was the first nav system I installed, while sitting in Jolly Harbor Antigua, I spun her up and was a bit dumbfounded to see that it had me sitting on land... Jolly Harbor wasn't charted in c-map... ... if it's missing that what else is it missing??

the catch is, they don't make tsunamis anymore... as the title denotes it is from 99, there is a 2004 chart update pack out there, which I have but haven't been able to get it installed.... .... so when using these a good pilotage is critical... ... Last year while crossing the north sea bound for the skagerak we were surprised by a huge wind mill farm that was uncharted and still under construction.... a pretty obvious obstruction, and well lit but it did cause a bit of confusion when we saw all the uncharted isolated danger lights in 200m of water.... but then these obstructions probably aren't on more recent charts either...

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:22 AM   #16
Ensign

Hi i use software on board this program is user friendly and very good has all options build in go and download free trial copy and let me know your view about this

http://www.digiboat.com.au/

Old 02-27-2009, 09:53 PM   #17
Commander

Send a message via MSN to Qldcruiser

HI All

I use The Capn. It is a bit pricey but the features make it very easy to use. It has served us well. The BSB charts are reproductions of paper charts so there are limited ommisions.

Cheers

Rob & Annette

S/V Blue Lady
Old 02-27-2009, 10:46 PM   #18
Admiral

Hello Rob and Annette,

For members' info here is the Capn's website :- CLICK
Old 02-28-2009, 12:10 AM   #19
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanDove View Post
I my be a odd ball (I have been told that before) but is there anyone using a Mac (Apple) PowerBook aboard? What Nav software are you using? and GPS software are you using?

Do you connect to your SSB radio for weather Faxes, email etc How ? What software?

Regards

Derek and Darlene

Ocean Dove
We have a Toshiba PC with Maxsea, magellan, Cmap tsunamis and Garmin charting software - part of having owned a number of vessels in the past. I am a Mac user and have now purchased the new intel Mac 15" laptop. It can be booted in either Mac or PC mode and we have now reloaded all our PC software onto it including weather fax as a back up. Connected to our HF and GPS/Radar - in PC mode it runs exactly as our PC does - although a heck of a lot faster. Boy have we been waiting for this for a long while!

Fair winds,

Mico
Old 02-28-2009, 10:28 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

What I'd really like is some software to replace my ships log while traveling. So something that will log my GPS position every hour or so as well as the other NMEA data coming in (which for me includes depth, wind speed & direction, sea temp, COG, SOG, bearing (magnetic), etc -- yes I have a NMEA junction box and mux that gets all of this data to the PC.

Does anyone have software that does this? I've played with ships log software from crystalsoft and there are a few problems with it (a) it doesn't share the serial port with the charting software (SO so it can't read from the GPS unless I shut down SOB, and ( it doesn't store the wind or any other NMEA data either. Because of the serial port contention issue, you'd need to have trip logging software built into your charting software, or some that could read the logs output by the charting software (which in the case of SOB is just a flat text file on the disk containing all of the NMEA strings, easy enough).

Unfortunately requests to the SOB folks to add a logging module and requests to the crystalsoft folks to import better NMEA data have fallen on deaf ears.

I'm considering Open Pilot under Linux as at least that's open source and I can make the changes myself.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:38 PM   #21
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by delatbabel View Post
I'm considering Open Pilot under Linux as at least that's open source and I can make the changes myself.
I have recommended OpenCPN elsewhere on this forum - its open source + under ongoing development.

Tags
charts, gps