Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Other Equipment
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #15
Commander

Home Port: Edinburgh
Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

Well design and research update:

1) Plastic of a high grade then Marelon that is currently approved for use below the water line by NZ. It is a glass re-enforced Nylon with a PTFE coated (and set to fully isolate) Stainless Steel ball for the valve joint.

2) Thanks to folks on here I have found some mastics (adhesives) that will secure the HD/UHMWPE family of plastics to just about anything. Thanks SilverRaven for your comments as they got me looking in strange places to find what I was looking for.

3) Through personal experience and research have found this family of plastics actually does tap well and will hold under tension (I use HDPE as the work bed for my Gantry Router).

4) The cost for the material in a shape that will reduce waste and required machining is cheaper then Bronze of the same dimensions.

5)Early design looks to be a rather easy replacement install (easy in that would not require highly specialized skill not truly toxic materials).

6)Business is building and have had leads on some folks who might be able to help in making the prototype. So will see how things go

Take care and have a great day.

Michael

Old 05-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #16

Great! Look forward to hearing from you about its appearance on the market!

Good work.
J

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #17
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroeurope View Post
Well design and research update:

1) Plastic of a high grade then Marelon that is currently approved for use below the water line by NZ. It is a glass re-enforced Nylon with a PTFE coated (and set to fully isolate) Stainless Steel ball for the valve joint.

2) Thanks to folks on here I have found some mastics (adhesives) that will secure the HD/UHMWPE family of plastics to just about anything. Thanks SilverRaven for your comments as they got me looking in strange places to find what I was looking for.

3) Through personal experience and research have found this family of plastics actually does tap well and will hold under tension (I use HDPE as the work bed for my Gantry Router).

4) The cost for the material in a shape that will reduce waste and required machining is cheaper then Bronze of the same dimensions.

5)Early design looks to be a rather easy replacement install (easy in that would not require highly specialized skill not truly toxic materials).

6)Business is building and have had leads on some folks who might be able to help in making the prototype. So will see how things go

Take care and have a great day.

Michael
Gooday Michael Good on you. Well done & lots of luck Like Jeanne said - 'will look for it on the market' & do keep us informed. Ciao9 for now, james
Old 05-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #18

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Sounds great. There are a couple very interesting resources online for doing prototypes. Look at emachineshop.com for example. There, you can do the 3D drawings and as long as you know what you want (e.g. tolerances and interference) you can send in the CAD and they can do the prototype for you in the material of your choice.

In the US, you can often find good prototyping at reasonable cost near the foundries. there's a large group of bronze foundries in Lewistown, PA. Because of that, there are also a large number of good patternworks shops there. Their pricing was/is better than most machine shops or pattern makers elsewhere. I'd used one there for a couple project in 2003/04 timeframe but for the life of me, can't recall the name.

Good luck with your project.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #19
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

Well folks it has been a while and life has been interesting. Update on through hulls. There are plastic through hulls currently being made in more places then NZ and while the design I came up with would work (according to a marine engineer I contacted) the cost and required insurance on the thing puts us back in the price range of Bronze on a retail price (If not a bit more IF I where to use the preferred plastic (PEEK)).

There is one company that is using a design similar and I can't find IF they have been rated for below water line usage or not (insurance issues again). While I enjoyed the design activity and learned a good bit about the forces that it need to survive and the material is superior to Bronze in that it is electrically neutral and stronger in both elastic and shear strength. I am currently putting this design on a shelf as the start up costs at present are beyond my means. Having said that I am now doing other work that might lead back to this in the future. Currently doing custom CNC work with woods and Solid Surface materials (which interestingly enough are starting to be used in the marine environment).

So while we work and build and move forward with goals I give my best wishes to all. Fair winds and keep busy -Michael
Old 08-27-2013, 10:50 PM   #20

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Thanks for the update! That pesky insurance problem seems to raise its head all the time. Do keep us informed of what you're up to. Hopefully some sailing?

Best regards,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #21
Lieutenant

Home Port: Portsmouth

May be a bit late but the other thing that puts people of plastic seacocks is fire and them melting.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #22
Commander

Steve, you would have to have direct heat on PEEK to get it to melt and properly designed it could actually be self sealing.

Brenda, Yes sailing is on the list heavily on the list actually. Work we are doing will hopefully allow for a small vacation over October break here in the UK and possibly a sailing vacation for us in the Med with some course work to improve skills. Thanks for the kind regards. As I said in my post above one of the profitable (and becoming more so) spin offs is I am working with Corian/HIMACS and other Solid Surface materials. The work I do with CNC and these materials is pretty much one of a kind bespoke projects that are pushing what can be done with the material. The down side is all the care you need to take while cutting or milling this stuff. Utterly safe when it is solid and can be used in hospitals and surgical areas (just keep acetone and strong oxidizing agents away from it), utterly dangerous when cutting or milling (ATH is not nice stuff nor is acrylic dust). The final product is great and sea water has no effect. Fun stuff.

But yes sailing is definitively in the goals. -Michael