Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Multihull Club
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-22-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
Ensign
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3
Default

Hello, we have recently purchased a Simpson 40' (extended to 43') catamaran named Morning Light which was built in Australia approx 15 years old. Does anyone have information on the hull specifications as we need to slip her for maintenance? We need measurements or photos of underwater. Thanks Ken and Jane.
__________________

__________________
MorningLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
Rear Admiral
 
imagine2frolic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 396
Default

HELLO,

I am surprised you did not get measurements with the survey, or paperwork from the previous owners. I am sailing a Simpson 13.7, and I am 23'3" in width. Rger Simpson still has a website

http://www.boatcraft.com.au/simpson.html

Of course the builder altering the design changes everything.......BEST WISHES in getting the right information....i2f
__________________

__________________
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:12 AM   #3
Ensign
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 11
Send a message via MSN to captkev69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningLight View Post
Hello, we have recently purchased a Simpson 40' (extended to 43') catamaran named Morning Light which was built in Australia approx 15 years old. Does anyone have information on the hull specifications as we need to slip her for maintenance? We need measurements or photos of underwater. Thanks Ken and Jane.
hi there

try asking previous owner where they slipped it as most slipways keep records in case similar vessels or you come back to save time and money on seeting things up.Where are you looking to slip the boat? kev
__________________
captkev69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:40 AM   #4
Admiral
 
MMNETSEA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captkev69 View Post
hi there ,

Try asking previous owner where they slipped it as most slipways keep records in case similar vessels or you come back to save time and money on setting things up.Where are you looking to slip the boat? kev
Following up on Kev's good question : Can you confirm that it was a 40ft (12.2mtr) Woodwind that was modified to 43ft ? Was it the bows or the transoms that were lengthened or both ?

Who did the modification ? Lifting should not present a problem - the difficult part is NOT to put the Aft lifting slings on the sail drives and their props, that you can probably ascertain by measuring internally, the slings must be aft of the props by a good foot.

Richard
__________________
MMNETSEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:20 PM   #5
Ensign
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3
Post

Thanks for your help.
__________________
MorningLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
Ensign
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 11
Send a message via MSN to captkev69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
HELLO,

I am surprised you did not get measurements with the survey, or paperwork from the previous owners. I am sailing a Simpson 13.7, and I am 23'3" in width. Rger Simpson still has a website

http://www.boatcraft.com.au/simpson.html

Of course the builder altering the design changes everything.......BEST WISHES in getting the right information....i2f
hi there I went out to boatcraft the other week and the factory had burnt out and I hve no idea on the damage to products and plans stored there

kev
__________________
captkev69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:57 AM   #7
Ensign
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captkev69 View Post
hi there

try asking previous owner where they slipped it as most slipways keep records in case similar vessels or you come back to save time and money on seeting things up.Where are you looking to slip the boat? kev
Thanks for your help.

Ken
__________________
MorningLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 02:41 AM   #8
Ensign
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2
Default

Hi Morning Light

We have a 12m Simpson modified to about 13.5m. Yours could be a standard Mk 1,2 or 3 depending on the transom rake. We have a full set of digitised plans for the Mk 3 which has the improved wingdeck to hull joint. You can email us at svsokari at gmail dot com and we can arrange to get them to you if you wish. We also have Roger's book, Simpson on Boat Building, on CD as well.

John/Rosemary
__________________

__________________
Sokari is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thoughts On A Design chiroeurope The Poop Deck 0 07-14-2011 03:40 PM
Cruiser Beaten In Simpson Lagoon on the French side of St. Martin/Sint Maarten. Orient Bay JeanneP Regional Discussions 5 07-08-2010 09:24 AM
About Yacht Design topi General Cruising Forum 2 06-15-2010 01:11 PM

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0