Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Hello All - This might be covered somewhere - With the recent invasion and theft in Costa Rica , I was wondering - I see alarm systems for boats on the net . My question is

Is there a Wireless way to set up a button in the master bedroom and the rest of the boat that you can push to activate a LOUD siren / alarm

that might spook intruders .

THanks For any help.....FAIR WINDS

TOM

Old 11-29-2010, 12:44 AM   #2
Admiral

Peter made an alarm system for our boat before we headed for Indonesia, the one country we visited where we were told that most of the citizens were a bit light fingered. It was a car alarm with a pressure mat sensor placed in the cockpit in front of the companionway. The alarm was loud! It also had a "panic" button so if you heard someone boarding the boat you could set off the alarm yourself. I liked it a lot, but once we were out of Indonesia we didn't use it anymore. we bought the components in Australia, so you should be able to find what you want in an auto store here in the States. Done right, nobody would even notice the pressure pad.

We heard of a fellow who also rigged this type of alarm to set off flashing lights in the cockpit, but I don't know how he did that.

Motion sensors did not work on a few boats that tried them. Light reflecting off the water could set them off, as did birds, bugs, and flapping flags. The battery on the boat would run down from all the false alarms.

I hope this helps.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:31 AM   #3
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to lang

We installed the Marine guard system on Calliste. It works by installing deck sensors to a central control unit which is remote controlled like a car alarm system. We hook up to a very large siren and flashing blue strobe light! As soon as the unauthorized person step onboard, the alarm is triggered.

Find them with this link http://www.marineguardsecurity.com/id5.html

We have recommended this system to a few friends around SE Asia region, and they loved it too.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:34 AM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Farley View Post

Hello All - This might be covered somewhere - With the recent invasion and theft in Costa Rica , I was wondering - I see alarm systems for boats on the net . My question is

Is there a Wireless way to set up a button in the master bedroom and the rest of the boat that you can push to activate a LOUD siren / alarm

that might spook intruders .

THanks For any help.....FAIR WINDS

TOM
Hi Tom ,

Understand that you need a wireless system that you activate yourself.

A very good company I have dealt with before have such wireless systems - they are very helpful - their trailer model would work fine for your needs. C L I C K
Old 11-29-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
Captain, Sailboat Reboot

Home Port: None
Vessel Name: Reboot
Send a message via AIM to svReboot

My 2 cents:

I was frustrated by the fact that the "alarms" in most marine components are so soft that they would not wake a baby if held by their ear. It made it easy to miss or sleep thru the alarm. Garmin chart plotters have an external alarm wire that can be connected to an external relay that can then drive an alarm. It is hooked to an old automobile car alarm siren. Total cost about $20.00. With the alarm horn in place it became easy to wire some other components to function as a break in alarm.

With the exception of perhaps buying a marinized pressure pad I can't see the point in spending a lot of money on a system.

I will not describe the system further but to say it cost less than $100. No, it is not in a NMEA 3 enclosure but I can replace every component 7 times for the cost of a commercial system.
Web Site: https://www.sailboatreboot.com
Blog:https://blog.sailboatreboot.com
svReboot is offline   Reply With Quote