Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
Commander

I live in Bradenton but travel to Tampa and Sarasota frequently.

It's pretty large line and I have to put an eye in each end.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:54 PM   #2
Admiral

What size?

We might be in that area in February next, but I can't promise, and that's a long wait. splicing isn't really hard, you just need the right size fid and a little patience and good directions.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:28 PM   #3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer View Post

I live in Bradenton but travel to Tampa and Sarasota frequently.

It's pretty large line and I have to put an eye in each end.
If you cannot locate a suitable rigger - here are a few links,

The first from Samson, which provides downloads of a number of pdf's and videos :

Samson's Instructions

Eye Splicing

Eye Splicing Video

2nd Eye Splicing Video
Old 12-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
Commander

I think it's 5/8ths line. Sta-Set from West Marine.

That Sampson website is an excellent resource!
Old 12-17-2010, 02:35 AM   #5
Commander

I dropped by West Marine and picked up a set of Sampson splicing fids for "class 1" double draided line. If the weather stays nice I'll be making an attempt at splicing soon- wish me luck!
Old 12-17-2010, 04:04 AM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer View Post

I dropped by West Marine and picked up a set of Sampson splicing fids for "class 1" double draided line. If the weather stays nice I'll be making an attempt at splicing soon- wish me luck!
WARNING remember to close doors and windows - profanity, bad language may frighten the neighbors !
Old 12-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #7
Admiral

Be careful! Sta-Set X is not double braid, but rather parallel core. It requires a "uni-fid" which is different from the fids used for double braid, the instructions are different, and splicing is different as well. Splicing guide for Sta-Set X /Parallel Core

Back before the Internet and chandleries everywhere, Peter bought a discounted roll of Sta-Set X line and brought it back to the Caribbean and then gave it to me to splice for halyards. I busily pulled out my selection of fids and directions (I always followed printed directions, even after 20 years of splicing line), and then started. What a shock to find the core covered in a tube of what looked like muslin fabric, and the strands running straight laid, not braided. With no instructions I sort-of made up my own system of splicing it. The following year when we were back in the States for a visit I asked the chandlery about the line they had sold Peter and they said, "oops, should have given him this" and gave me the printed directions for splicing it and the uni-fid. I sure didn't like that uni-fid, though. I had fortunately bumbled into the almost right way to splice it, and those splices lasted the life of the line. Thank goodness because Sta-Set was very expensive stuff.

Easy to curse when splicing. And remember that the splice reduces the length of the line by more than a foot, so be sure to make allowances in the length of the line before you cut and splice it.

SY WATERMELON |

Old 12-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
Commander

MMNETSEA,

I think I'll go do it in an outside park adjacent to the local liveaboard anchorage. That sort of behavior is expected there...

JeanP,

Sta-Set is double-braided, while the Sta-Set X is parallel core as you found out. I'm too cheap to buy Sta-Set X....
Old 12-17-2010, 03:56 PM   #9

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

JeanneP, unlike you, I had the instructions and the correct fid in front of me the first time I spliced a parallel core rope. I found it to be some of the easiest splicing I did. I also find splicing braid and double braid to be easier than old-fashioned splicing of 3-strand. David and I divvy up the splicing so I always do the braid or high tech stuff, he does the 3-strand stuff (as a kid, he was a eagle scout in a scout troupe that actually had speed knot tying and splicing competitions, for heaven's sake...)

In addition to all the manufacturers' instructions which are free online, Brion Toss's Riggers Apprentice is a good reference book to have aboard for splicing.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:21 PM   #10
Admiral

Yeah, Brenda, I'm with you. Peter does the 3-strand laid, I do the double braid. I, too, found that the Sta-Set X was easy, once I got over the shock of not having what I was expecting. I am a great second-guesser, though, so I like having the instructions in front of me so I can verify I'm doing it right.

Second-guessing is probably both my strength and shortcoming. When it really comes in handy is in navigation. I always check my plots, Peter's plots, and mine again.

SY WATERMELON |