Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-17-2007, 08:06 AM   #1
Ensign

Unhappy

Would really appreciate the help of those MUCH more experienced in these matters than I...

My plan is to buy a Med-based boat (30-36 foot) in a couple of years time and spend 4-5 months each year sailing in those waters. I am expecting that much of the tiime I will be single-handing so the ability to make relatively short hops from one anchorage to another is beneficial. How I handle the joys of "med mooring" when by myself is another question! The boat would then be wintered somewhere (Turkey?) whilst I return to the Aussie summers.

I am assuming that there is an optimum time to buy i.e. towards the end of the sailing season as sellers don't want the added expense of a winter berth.

I have also read that boats based in The Netherlands tend to be better equipped/optioned than those in other European waters.

Can someone advise on the relative merits of wintering the boat "on the hard" as opposed to leaving it in the water and the preparations that will need to be carried out each year before casting off for another sailing season.

My current experience is limited to daysailing of J24s but will be using the next couple of years to try to consolidate and extend my abilities and experiences.

I know that this is but the first step on a long and probably steep learning curve and in the words of Donald Rumsfeld (or was it Dick Cheney?) "There are those things that we know, those things that we know we don't know and there are even things that we don't know we don't know" - or words to that effect.

At present the last two definitely apply to me!

Thanks

Mark

Old 09-17-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
Admiral

Hi Mark,

Just a few quick thoughts.

There should be no problem finding a berth in Turkey.

As for buying, the time is ripe! By in the autumn as prices are generaly lower then. Having said that, do not restrict yourself to the Netherlands. One can get a lot of boat for the money also in Germany, Denmark and Sweden. In many ways Denmark and Sweden are better as there are really very many boats to choose from and they are outside the Eurozone where many prices have become inflated.

The greatest merit of wintering on the hard in high latitudes is that you avoid problems with ice. In ice-free waters then the advantage is that you reduce the risk for osmosis.

Let me know roughly what you are looking for and I will try to make some suggestions.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:23 AM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
Hi Mark,

Just a few quick thoughts.

There should be no problem finding a berth in Turkey.

As for buying, the time is ripe! By in the autumn as prices are generaly lower then. Having said that, do not restrict yourself to the Netherlands. One can get a lot of boat for the money also in Germany, Denmark and Sweden. In many ways Denmark and Sweden are better as there are really very many boats to choose from and they are outside the Eurozone where many prices have become inflated.

The greatest merit of wintering on the hard in high latitudes is that you avoid problems with ice. In ice-free waters then the advantage is that you reduce the risk for osmosis.

Let me know roughly what you are looking for and I will try to make some suggestions.

Aye // Stephen
Thanks for the post Stephen

At present I live on brokerage sites and am expecting to purchase a 34' Bavaria or Beneteau in the region of 120-150K (AU).

I am really keen, however, on the style of yachts found primarily in US waters - especially Cabo Rico, Bayfield, et al with their clipper bows. The "problem" would then lie in getting to favoured cruising waters in Med - very limited bluewater experience (at present) but would be keen to learn so who knows.

As stated previously, I would expect to be sailing single-handed much of the time so would only need to please myself re boat setup. Have visited many sailing blogs and building a library of those who have travelled the path I wish to take. This site has been invaluable.

Thanks again for the interest.

Mark
Old 09-18-2007, 10:15 AM   #4
Admiral

Hi Mark,

Thinking about the topic heading "Retirement Planning" - then reading that this really concerned searching for the correct boat.

Which all cruisers know "that when you buy a boat - you will not retire but you will start another whole career - involving forecasting >> planning >> buying>> fixing>> maintaining>> sailing>> cruising >>> Making lifelong friends ---------------Retirement NO! NO! NO !

on your new CAREER.

Richard
Old 09-18-2007, 02:20 PM   #5
Admiral

Hi again Mark,

Also to be considered, if your boat is to be left in any one place for a longer period of time, is the issue of VAT or GST as I believe it is termed in Oz. I am unsure of the rules regarding this in Turkey but will gladly assist in finding out.

Otherwise, let me know if there is any assistance required from northern latitudes!

And as Richard said - enjoy your new career!

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 02:23 AM   #6
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
Hi again Mark,

Also to be considered, if your boat is to be left in any one place for a longer period of time, is the issue of VAT or GST as I believe it is termed in Oz. I am unsure of the rules regarding this in Turkey but will gladly assist in finding out.

Otherwise, let me know if there is any assistance required from northern latitudes!

And as Richard said - enjoy your new career!

Aye // Stephen
Have just had an unexpected 3-day trip away with a busload of 56 grade 5 and 6 students to Canberra - so I know that cruising will hold no fears for me!

Have read many tales re VAT in European waters. The majority of boats I have seen advertised from Netherlands, Germany, etc (that is those away from the major Med charter grounds) are VAT paid so that shouldn't present problem. Main problem if I wish to 'up stakes' and spend several years in and around the Med is the question of visa time and 're-setting the clock' but as both my parents are Welsh-born, I can explore the possibility of gaining a British passport.

Regards

Mark
Old 09-22-2007, 02:52 AM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by markje4 View Post
Main problem if I wish to 'up stakes' and spend several years in and around the Med is the question of visa time and 're-setting the clock' but as both my parents are Welsh-born, I can explore the possibility of gaining a British passport.

Regards

Mark
Hi Mark

Check this website regarding Brit Citizenship - even have it in the Welsh language :

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applying/nationality/

Richard
Old 09-23-2007, 03:21 PM   #8
Lieutenant

In Turkey prices for marina berths have gone up considerably in the last few years and they vary greatly - up to 2:1 ratio for the same service. Prıces are based on nominal area - length x beam. Brits - includıng Celts - can stay for 90 days and then have to do a visa run (to Greece) whıch is easy. Many other nationalitıes are the same but not all. Yachts can stay much longer. Have a look at the Pilot Guide for Turkey. İmported parts are horrıbly expensıve - such as three tımes the West Marıne catalogue prıces - but local stuff eg anchor and chain is about 75% of UK prıces.

Most marınas have help with pickıng up the moorıng rope and then the two lınes to the quay. Those requırıng you to drop an anchor and then get two shore lines in place yourself - and these include expensive ones as well as cheap ones - are in my humble opinion - too much except for the very skilled. Unless friendly or defensive other yotties see you and come to lend a hand.

The holding in most parts of southern coast Turkey is very varied - weed over compacted sand or mud. My 30 kg CQR usually lies on its side and refuses to dig in. The Bruce is said to be no better on the hard surface but İ have not yet tried it and İ am thınkıng of getting a 40 kg Danforth type wıth sharp points as the stern mounted aluminium Fortress at only about 14 kg seems to do the best job. İ always go in bow first as the Bruce Roberts 53 is a great boat for most things but is ımpossible to steer backwards

Hope this helps

John

steelfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:33 AM   #9
Ensign

Thanks for all suggestions.

Meeting with my financial planner next week and hope to focus efforts over the 12-18 months with the intenetion of making the move to water-based living in the Med for a few years. Until then I'll troll sites likes this one for valuable information.

Regards

Mark