Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-19-2007, 09:24 AM   #1
Ensign

Hi all,

We have been avid readers of this sight for some time and many of you have passed on incredibly helpful advice to us since we first began our journey to our dream. Cruising!!!!!!!!!!

Finally it has all fallen into place and we are sooooooooooooo excited.. In a few months we will have no jobs but no debt, a little money but loads of excitement, one beautiful boat with two humans and one dog that just can't wait to get going. You've probably guessed we are a little excited at the moment but we just wanted to share and ask if anyone had some favourite spots to visit in Northern Aust.

The plan (a basis for change at best ) is to head out from Port Douglas Far Nth Qld, and make our leisurely way around the top end with a final destination of the Kimberleys WA. No real time frame we just want to see as much as we can and I (Mel) want to sponge up as much as humanly possible having limited sailing skills. The other member of our crew, Toby, a 9yr old Staffy X Bully will also be finding his sealegs after a life of backyards and bush. Should make for an interesting voyage

If anyone has some favourite anchorages or handy hints we are all ears and value your input

Thanks for listening I just had to share

Mel, Damien and Toby

SV Fortuna

"Man cannot discover new oceans until he has the courage to loose sight of the shore"
Footprints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 09:40 AM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

I love to hear stories like this. Live your dream!

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:08 AM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi there,

It will be hard to leave Port Douglas. It is a special place. However the sail north to TI is wonderful when the trades resume in April. I recommend you sail for only 8 hours each day. There will be a welcoming bay/island/headland in front of you by about 4.00 every afternoon.

Provision in Cairns before you set off. There is a re-supply barge which visits Portland Roads but it is exy.....and re-provisioning in TI is a treat if you don't mind paying $100 for $30 worth of groceries.

The sail across the Gulf is wonderful and you can either stop at Gove after the crossing...or if you want a real treat and don't need fuel or food, head for Cape Wessel and give Gove a miss.

Jensen Bay and Two Island Bay on the western tip of Marchinbar island is heaven on earth.

When you transit the Vernon islands check the tides carefully...8 metre ranges mean some tough sailing if you get it wrong....so when anchoring check the depth and tide charts carefully. 20 feet of water can disappear in a couple of hours.

When you need advice regarding Darwin, please ask (Maybe I will get time to prepare a decent wiki entry soon)...But if you want advice regarding the trip from Darwin west to the Kimberlies and King George river.......TOUGH.....That will cost you a beer when you are tied up in Darwin.

Best wishes

David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:17 AM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
But if you want advice regarding the trip from Darwin west to the Kimberlies and King George river.......TOUGH.....That will cost you a beer when you are tied up in Darwin.
Fantastic advice David... You are right Port is a very special place and I am lucky enough to have family there. My mum manages the a 60ft charter cat called Synergy II that runs out of there and they have lived on many a boat themselves. It is full of the most amazing people but that is what makes me want to get out and cruise.

I mean if in one little port in the FNQ you can find so many characters imagine who else is out there to meet

Advice noted and taken onboard...many thanks and if we are lucky enough to catch you in Darwin the beers will be cold and have your name on them

We are looking to take off in late May 2008 so if the the spots you mentioned really draw us in who knows when we will end up in Darwin... or beyond.... After years of being driven by rules & the institution we are looking forward to having nothing but nature to rule us...

A little bit of a romantic view I know but let us indulge for a while

Many thanks again for the advice

"Man cannot discover new oceans until he has the courage to loose sight of the shore"
Footprints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:14 PM   #5
Admiral

As wonderful as we found all Aussies, I think the people in Far North Queensland and the Northern Territory were the nicest! I have nothing but fond memories of our trips there.

We saw the LARGEST sea snake ever on our sail from TI to Gove. We had been warned about them, but I figured it was just a couple blokes having us on. We loved the time spent in Gove. Even our good tide programs were challenged by the tides in the NT!

By the time we reached TI Peter was feeling deprived of fresh fruit. He bought a small box of blueberries, paid $6.00 for it! ("What do you mean, Jeanne, I have to check the price of everything before I buy it?") Even the officials in TI were chatty, visiting just for the chance to talk with new faces, I swear.

We spent more time in Darwin than we had expected, and the only mildly off note was the same as David found, the technical knowledge of computers was pretty close to zero - expensive for us, too.

We met cruisers from WA and were intrigued by that part of Oz, though we headed for Indonesia and SE Asia instead.

Enjoy your cruising!

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote