Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-10-2007, 05:07 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Default Triton vs Columbia 29 vs Alberg 30 vs CD

Hello

I'm new to this very nice and useful forum. Here is my problem.

I'm going to buy a small, blue water cruiser in US this winter. I'm looking for fiberglas boat, around 30', under $10,000 built in '60/'70. It seams that the options are:

Pearson Triton,

Columbia 29,

Bristol 29,

Alberg 30,

Grampian 30 (I would prefer full keel),

Cape Dory 28.

The boats seam to be almoast identical, but it's hard to find any information on the net except Triton and Cape Dory.

Does anyone have experience with those boats? I'm especially interested in comparison between Pearson Triton, Columbia 29 and Bristol 29. Fiberglass quality?

If you know any other good old boat, or know any bargain in Great Lakes area or East Cost please let me know

Thanks

Old 01-10-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
imported_admin

Hello Piotrek

We are happy to have you aboard - I'm sure some members will be along shortly to assist with your query.

Enjoy your stay.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:48 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Piotrek,

Just 6 years ago, I found myself looking at EXACTLY these same boats. My interest was in either an Alberg, Triton, Vanguard or Bristol 30 or 32. I did much research (sometimes hard to do on these older boats), and 5 years later, found a deal that I couldn't pass up on a Bristol 32. My desire after research leaned more toward the West Coast version of the Pearson Triton since these boats are complete fiberglass, no balsa core but it was a little too small for our requirements.

I was happy to hear several people tell me that fiberglassing was something new to boat building in the late 60's and early 70's so these boats were being built more to wood standards and with fiberglassing being done on the side of caution, these older boats were built like tanks. After the survey I had done on my Bristol 32 (1972), the surveyor said he has never seen a better hull on ANY boat!

You will often see these older boats in the back of boat yards with winter covers hanging in tatters and dirty from the exposure with an old For Sale sign on them. If you can find the owners of these old boats, I am certain there are some very promising vessels out there. Yachtworld and Usedboats.com are littered with these boats. Don't forget to do a search on For Sale by Owner boats. That's how I found my boat!

Best of luck.

Bajamas
Old 01-23-2007, 06:54 AM   #4
Lieutenant

Thanks Bajamas

We've ended with '63 Columbia 29. It was quick decision based on the size of the smile on our faces.

She has some issues but survey said, that hull and the rig is sound and Atomic 4 in "fair" condition.

We must buy all electronics, anchors, spare sails etc. but for $1500 we can't go wrong

Cross your fingers for us. We have still 6 months and ten grants to spend.

Cheers
Old 01-23-2007, 09:09 PM   #5
Lieutenant

Piotrek,

Congratulations! I surely hope everything goes well with her! When we took delivery of our B32, you couldn't find 2 happier people in the world. I did get a very angy phone call from the Dockmaster of her new marina saying he used to have the prettiest boat in the yard til Bajamas showed up!!

Like yourself, our boat was bare-bones and we took the first year and spent every waking, free hour on the boat cleaning, prepping and adding the things that she was going to need in her new future! I can't tell you how enjoyable that first year was for us!

First thing this season, we plan on adding a brand new diesel.

The best of luck to you. Hope to see you on the water!!

Bajamas
Old 01-24-2007, 08:44 AM   #6
Ensign

Piotrek,

Congratulations! Sounds like a sweet deal. If you have the money consider installing a new diesel engine. The atomic 4 can be made fairly reliable but a new diesel will go farther on less fuel and handle a high amp alternator better. Good luck with it. RT
Old 01-24-2007, 11:05 AM   #7
Lieutenant

Thanks guys.

As I posted, Atomic 4 on our boat looks "fair" so will give it a try. If it won't cooperate I'd rather put a small outboard and sell A4, than spend money and time on disel. This is sailboat after all.

Btw I've found an interesting article on this matter:

http://www.boatus.com/goodoldboat/atomic4.asp

Sounds resonable. What do you think?
Old 01-24-2007, 01:55 PM   #8
Lieutenant

Good luck and caution. Major factors on boats of this age is how much they have been used and how well/not/badly maintained they are.

You might be able to find a "broken dreams" boat or somebody who cannot/does not want to use it anymore. As noted earlier, check the cheeper storage yards for signs and ask. A trip to Florida might be good.

Tags
columbia