Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-01-2005, 07:41 AM   #1
thinking

Default What kind of boat will take me global

I've got around £100k to spend on a sailing yacht, so I'd like some ideas as to what you would all buy.

I dream is to set off around the globe so what should I be looking for and how many crew do you think I will need.

I know that I've got to get all the skipper licenses etc but for now I just want to know if 100k will buy a boat capable of doing this.

Thanks.

PS: Great forum.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:47 AM   #2
Lieutenant

Send a message via MSN to Chetan

IMHO that kind of money will buy you a boat and much more

there are plenty of discussions like this already on the forum

it really is an open ended question and i will leave it to the more experienced salts to give you some pointers

Old 07-04-2005, 08:40 PM   #3
Commander

Thinking (surely, a first name wouldn´t go amiss since you are asking others for help?), your query is indeed a common one but not helpfully framed.

Is the 100K (sorry, no BSP key on this keyboard) the ONLY money you plan to spend. Does it include the boat PLUS outfitting it? Does it include your cruising budget? If so, for how many years (you can do a circle in slightly more than 1.5 years or take decades...)? And what route, which determines to some extent the features and build quality required by the boat? Yes, you have more than enough money to buy a boat that would get you around...but info re: the above questions will shape what kind of boat.

In general, the longer you plan to be out and the farther you plan to go, the more your cruising budget will be affected by the size and build quality and complexity of your boat choice. IOW if you stay smaller (arbitrarily, let´s say 10M or so) and simplier, then you have more than enough money to buy the quality of yacht you´d want and with the features and key offshore systems and gear you truly need. The bigger you go, the more you will compromise on the quality of the boat and the quality of the gear you put aboard...and the better the chance that you will find yourself ´boat poor´ half way thru the adventure.

Pick up a copy of Beth Leonard´s _Offshore Voyager_ (I think that´s the correct title) and read the section on how boat choice relates to boat cost and also to the larger scope of financial issues that we all face, inside of which we must fund our yachting adventures. You´ll find her writing to be clear and her knowledge sound.

Jack
Old 07-05-2005, 07:47 AM   #4
Lieutenant

You could get a nice cabin in a P&O ship for that money and not have to bother about running costs/ storms/ navigation / stores etc etc ....he he

rumrunner..

Melbourne, Australia.

Web: https://www.sailblogs.com/member/rumrunner/?xjMsgID=5680</font id="size1">
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 01:12 PM   #5
Ensign

Why are you THINKING of jumping in at the deep end? Why not get a cheaper boat (c.20-30K, say a nice old Westerly) for coastal cruising. Build up you experience and knowledge, talk to other boaties, etc and then you will be able to trade up with much more confidence. ....and then if you decide long distance cruising is not really for you, you won't have over capitalised.

Good luck whatever you decide,

MT
Old 07-12-2005, 10:01 PM   #6
benscottrobinson

Wow, you're a brave one - my wife and I are nervous about going and we have over 30 years experience between us, two yachtmasters and some big, experienced mates!

I will take a line between the 'go for it's and the naysayers. Firstly - to get the full yachtmasters you need for that type of trip you will need to clock up over 2500 proveable miles, either before or after the classroom.

This gives you a chance to get in the practice, and have some fun on other people's boats. Don't buy your own boat for coastal stuff - it's about as cost effective as buying your own ski lift to go skiing.

My advice is - get your Yachtmasters Onshore (12 evenings in a classroom, a thousand years of pleasure), look on this site and land yourself a non-paid crewing position for a few months (will cost you supermarket food and travel money - the cheapest holiday you'll ever have!). Do a trans atlantic run to the Carib the same way. Get a photocopy of your logged miles. Take down the number of every 'summer crew' you meet. Get the offshore certificate. Buy the boat, call up the crew, bugger off.

It ain't a short term plan, but you could do all of this AND buy the yacht for your 100k.

B