Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Cruising Crew Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-28-2020, 06:53 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Lowestoft (former)
Default Position open, UK ports?

Does anyone have a position open round the UK? I would be willing to pay for the experience and voyage.

As a former boat owner, I used to own my own yacht, a Falmouth Gypsy Mk 2, but couldn't handle her alone and had no regular crew. Because I can't afford to run a motor cruiser, I abandoned cabin cruising altogether. Though if river boats count, I was active on the Amazon since then, in a local balsa vessel.

What I would like is to accompany others on cruising trips to Europe, and maybe further. Because this is to maintain skills and gain experience, the destination matters little, and I will discuss what to pay as neccessary.

Karolyn

Old 02-20-2020, 10:51 AM   #2
Ensign

Home Port: Leeds
Vessel Name: HAWK
Default Alistair

Do you hold any certificates to hand power cruiser.
I have a 62ft ex Naval Patrol boat which I have refurbished and
plan to take it over to Holland, up the Rhine, across the Rhine Danube
canal and down the Danube to the Black sea, then on to the Greek Islands
At present I have no qualification, so will be looking for someone to assist
I am no spring chicken (79 to day, my birthday)
Regards
Alistair
ef@rose-farm.com

Old 02-28-2020, 02:42 PM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn1977 View Post
Do you hold any certificates to hand power cruiser.
I have a 62ft ex Naval Patrol boat which I have refurbished and
plan to take it over to Holland, up the Rhine, across the Rhine Danube
canal and down the Danube to the Black sea, then on to the Greek Islands
At present I have no qualification, so will be looking for someone to assist
I am no spring chicken (79 to day, my birthday)
Regards
Alistair
ef@rose-farm.com
Unfortunatey, I have no certificates or experience with power cruiser, though like most small sailboat owners, I am used to moving under power, and got used to using the engine alone to sail out to sea from Lowestoft, and up the broads.

Could you tell me more about your vessel, please? At the very least I can assist on board, and I am a wildlife travel guide with experince on the Amazon, where I became used to balsa boating. Though this was a very different scale of powerboat, compared to your former Naval Patrol!

So I do have good experience with people on voyages, taking care of travellers, and using different kinds of boats under power, including on rivers.

Please do contact me.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:39 PM   #4
Ensign

Hi its Alistair
Not sure how to attach photos but I will click on insert image and see what happens, once I have given an insight as to what I have in mind.
Personally I have little experience, I decided 50 years ago when I started doing some contract engineering work, for a company in Frankfurt, I travelled every other weekend, for over two years along the Rhine for miles.
It is so tranquil, with vineyards sloping right down to the river bank.
I decide then, if I could afford to have a boat, when I retired I would spend my retirement sailing through Europe and down to the Greek Islands.
Currently the boat is up at Knottingley at the Old Harkers Shipyard, on the Aire Calder Navigation, the plan is to take it down to Goole within the coming months, add the Mast, Radar, Flue and Radio masts as the boat is to high to get under the bridges with all gear fitted, once all the auxiliary equipment is installed, I plan spend a couple of months on the Humber, then in and out of the Humber estuary/North sea gaining a bit of experience.
People say I am a bit of a nutter, buying a 65 footer as my first boat, but you have to start somewhere, I liked the look of it and having spent 50 years in engineering, Rebuilding/refurbishing it, has given me something to do, over the past eight years.
All I am looking for is someone with the ICC qualification, as you need a International Certification of Competence to sale through Europe.
The boat handles well, even before fitting the Bow and Stern thrusters,
it was a joy to sail when bringing up from Dover.
The boat has , lounge, kitchen and two double bedrooms with en suite, one with shower and the other full size bath.
Obviously, company is an important part of any crew, whether male or female. the plan would to cruise slowly through Europe and spend time in between sailing, visiting the many exiting places en route.
Once you have digested the above and feel the "venture" is something that might be of interest, let discuss it further.
I am afraid I clicked on insert image, it did not allow photos to be attached, if you know how its done ,please advise/help
Regards
Alistair
Old 02-29-2020, 11:19 PM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
All I am looking for is someone with the ICC qualification, as you need a International Certification of Competence to sale through Europe.
The boat handles well, even before fitting the Bow and Stern thrusters,
it was a joy to sail when bringing up from Dover.
The boat has , lounge, kitchen and two double bedrooms with en suite, one with shower and the other full size bath.
Obviously, company is an important part of any crew, whether male or female. the plan would to cruise slowly through Europe and spend time in between sailing, visiting the many exiting places en route.
Once you have digested the above and feel the "venture" is something that might be of interest, let discuss it further.
I am afraid I clicked on insert image, it did not allow photos to be attached, if you know how its done ,please advise/help
Regards
Alistair
Alistair, this is much of interest to me. Though having mainly experience on rivers, I lack the ICC qualification, and I didn't need one in UK coastal or South American inland waters. By no means am I a qualified skipper, but being experienced with tourists and tours, specifically wildlife tourism in Amazonia, I can be useful as part of a small group, as I explained. There, I would take two or three tourists on a boat with my employer, so they could experience local river life, and wildlife such as the dolphins. Along the way I would take them to experience local life, and visit wildlife rescue centers or other places of interest. Should you require someone useful along those lines, I can organise things efficiently on the fly, take care of others, and help.

Normally, the insert image icon is simple and error free to use. its a matter of directing the computer to where the file is located on the internet. It needs to be uploaded to a website, such as imgbb or imgur. There are a few such free sites that will host photographs.

Karolyn
Old 03-01-2020, 01:15 PM   #6
Ensign

Karolyn
This my second attempt, I thought I had a spelling mistake, so I exited what I had written, checked the spelling but lost the original message when I returned to Cruiser Log.
So lets start again.
You will soon realise I am not very computer literate.
When I started up in business 50 years ago, I employed staff using conventional type writers, in fact I don't think I have written a letter in the past 55 years. (signed plenty )
I got my first Laptop after I retired, I can use it to accept and send e-mails, buy and sell on e-bay and I can attach photos when necessary but that's about my limit.
I have not got a clue, as to what you are taking about when it comes to IMGBB or IMGUR
I could ask my daughter to assist but I am afraid she would not be very helpful as she does not agree with what I am planning to do.
She and her husband both work for HSBC at Canary Wharf and live in an apartment overlooking the Thames, her idea, is for me to bring the boat down to the Thames where she will pay for it to be moored, in one of the expensive local marinas, so she can keep an eye on me. (no thank you) she is a pain in the back side, even 200 miles away!!!
Have been on my own for the past 30 years, I can look after myself, don't need a nanny.
If there is a local photo copy shop, and you can obtain their e-mail address I will forward the photos of the boat to them, and they will forward them to you, they charge a little for this service which I would happy to cover. This would keep your anonymity as far as your e-mail address is concerned, which I can understand at this stage in proceedings.
With regards to my ef@rose-farm e-mail address, I don't have a farm, I had a business
located at the farm and kept the e-mail address when I sold the business in 2012
I also have alistair@harkersmarine.com, this came about when the company who were working on my boat went out of business five years ago, my boat was out of the water and under cover at the time, I had the option, put my unfinished boat back in the water or take on the site/lease myself. The easiest option was to set up a new co and take on the lease.
The five year lease runs out 1st May and I hope to be in a position to take the boat down to Goole in the next couple of months
I would like to give it another coat of paint before I move it, so I may delay it.
If you Google map WF11 8DH and bring up the satellite photo you can see the yard, the white roofed boat is my boat.
I had to take on the whole site including the building which I sub let to P S Welding.
By the way you don't fancy applying for your ICC. ( at my expense ) I understand you can do the majority of it on line, The Royal Yachting Association have facilities all over the country, to do the practical side of it.
You never know, might even have a go at it myself.
Lets see how things work out.
Regards
Alistair
07860 695802
alistair@harkersmarine.com
Old 03-01-2020, 02:53 PM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Karolyn
This my second attempt, I thought I had a spelling mistake, so I exited what I had written, checked the spelling but lost the original message when I returned to Cruiser Log.
So lets start again.
You will soon realise I am not very computer literate.
When I started up in business 50 years ago, I employed staff using conventional type writers, in fact I don't think I have written a letter in the past 55 years. (signed plenty )
I got my first Laptop after I retired, I can use it to accept and send e-mails, buy and sell on e-bay and I can attach photos when necessary but that's about my limit.
I have not got a clue, as to what you are taking about when it comes to IMGBB or IMGUR
I could ask my daughter to assist but I am afraid she would not be very helpful as she does not agree with what I am planning to do.
She and her husband both work for HSBC at Canary Wharf and live in an apartment overlooking the Thames, her idea, is for me to bring the boat down to the Thames where she will pay for it to be moored, in one of the expensive local marinas, so she can keep an eye on me. (no thank you) she is a pain in the back side, even 200 miles away!!!
Have been on my own for the past 30 years, I can look after myself, don't need a nanny.
If there is a local photo copy shop, and you can obtain their e-mail address I will forward the photos of the boat to them, and they will forward them to you, they charge a little for this service which I would happy to cover. This would keep your anonymity as far as your e-mail address is concerned, which I can understand at this stage in proceedings.
With regards to my ef@rose-farm e-mail address, I don't have a farm, I had a business
located at the farm and kept the e-mail address when I sold the business in 2012
I also have alistair@harkersmarine.com, this came about when the company who were working on my boat went out of business five years ago, my boat was out of the water and under cover at the time, I had the option, put my unfinished boat back in the water or take on the site/lease myself. The easiest option was to set up a new co and take on the lease.
The five year lease runs out 1st May and I hope to be in a position to take the boat down to Goole in the next couple of months
I would like to give it another coat of paint before I move it, so I may delay it.
If you Google map WF11 8DH and bring up the satellite photo you can see the yard, the white roofed boat is my boat.
I had to take on the whole site including the building which I sub let to P S Welding.
By the way you don't fancy applying for your ICC. ( at my expense ) I understand you can do the majority of it on line, The Royal Yachting Association have facilities all over the country, to do the practical side of it.
You never know, might even have a go at it myself.
Lets see how things work out.
Regards
Alistair
07860 695802
alistair@harkersmarine.com
Its ok that you are not computer literate, as I find it very easy to use Windows in a basic fashion, and computing is something I can handle on your behalf.

Imgbb and Imgur are websites, that can be reached using Google or Bing. Using these free services, it is easy to upload files like it was attaching photos to an email.

But I should forewarn, that I am not eligible for an ICC straight away. If you are willing to pay for my training, I need also to successfully pass an examination to prove the necessary competence for pleasure craft operation. This would alo need to be arranged in advance, for my experience is mostly in South America, and I have no specified RYA certificate.

Quote:
If there is a local photo copy shop, and you can obtain their e-mail address I will forward the photos of the boat to them, and they will forward them to you, they charge a little for this service which I would happy to cover.
I will look for a photo copy shop, though I am unfamiliar with this area, and will need to find one.

But I will send email by private message, if you can do that.
Old 03-01-2020, 03:45 PM   #8
Ensign

Karolyn
I am in the same position, I presume I will have to do the same as you as I have no certificate for pleasure craft operation
As I intend sailing up and down the Humber with the boat, I will have to find out what is involved and whether I can do both examination at the same time.
I have found a former RYA instructor, base in the Grimsby area on the Humber who has agreed to spend some time with me as and when.
There is a RYA office in Hull
I am a member of the RYA so I will make enquiries, I may be able to add you to my membership as it covers family and friends
What part of the country are you based and which port in nearest to you location.
I load a few photos to send, once we have located a suitable Photo Copy shop in your location
Regards
Alistair
Old 03-13-2020, 04:50 PM   #9
Ensign

Hi Karolyn
Got the computer buff in, who I use to set up my computer and asked him to up load the photos of my little paddle boat on to imgur
I understand if you access the imgur using Hawk1934 you should be able to see the photos
Regards

Tags
ports