Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-31-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
Ensign

Hi, my name is Pomber. I've been racing sailboats since I was 6 (Optis, Lasers, Thistles, 420s, etc) and now I want to go cruising (once I'm done with college). My dad and I are building a Bristol Channel Cutter that is for his use. I am trying to acquire an old Folkboat that has been laying around a local yard for several years. I thought this would be good place to get ideas for cruising in addition to all of the books I have. I really look forward to learning from everybody on here.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard - make yourself at home here.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:01 PM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Welcome to the Cruiser Log! What kind of condition is the folkboat in? Do you know its history? I'm always interested in people fixing up their boats

Fair Winds,

Brenda

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:22 PM   #4
Ensign

The Folkboat has been sitting outside uncovered for at least 5 years. It is a fiberglass boat and has a wood cabin trunk. The cabin trunk is really rotten so I would have to make new one (not a very big deal, the cabin trunk is bolted on). It also has a wood mast that is shot so I'd have to make a new one as well. Fortunately, it has all bronze hardware. I don't think there are any sails but they can be had second hand from racers. The hull is structurally sound and looks decent. The boat belongs to a man that is a little over 90 and he always says he wants to get rid of it but then backs out when I offer him money. I think he'll sell it to me eventually but when is unclear.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:53 AM   #5
Admiral

I adore Folkboats. They were the result of a competition, in Sweden, to design a boat for everyone. Tord Sundéns design took the prize. The "peoples boat" is still, about 60 years on, one of the best looking boats around. A folkboat is good looking and safe but class rules are very strict and the boat is cramped and there is nowhere near sufficient room for an adult to stand up in the cabin. The cockpit is not self-draining either. On the plus side, the rig is simple and efficient.

The class rules for folkboats are strict and so, given that you describe a GRP hull with a wooden trunk leads me to conclude that this is a folkboat derivative rather than a true "Folkbåt". Can you give more details?

Good luck with the project!

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
Ensign

My understanding is that it is a real Folkboat but that somebody hated the original cabin trunk and cut it off to build something that was a little prettier. As for the room, thats not a big deal to me. I lived aboard a CAL-25 for a summer and I had excess space. I tried to upload a picture but the file was too large. The guy claims it is a real Folkboat, and the lines look right to me but I could be wrong. I'll try and make the picture smaller so I can get one up on here so you can have a look.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:30 PM   #7

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
The class rules for folkboats are strict and so, given that you describe a GRP hull with a wooden trunk leads me to conclude that this is a folkboat derivative rather than a true "Folkbåt". Can you give more details?

Aye // Stephen
I also thought that all folkboats were traditional wood plank, not GRP. I know a few people who have built their own folkboat...two in Sweden and one here in the USA. They are very nice boats. Do enjoy the project!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:49 PM   #8
Rear Admiral

Hi All,

Always led to believe both GRP and wooden hulls fit the class rules - it's simply a case of who built what and when.

Lovely design - grp hull much better all round than wood. Alloy spars beter also.

Sounds like a lovely project and if I read it right - supect if you keep up the chat with the owner - he'll eventally GVE you the boat to restore to it's past glory.

Good luck

JOHN