Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-28-2008, 04:25 AM   #1
Ensign

Hi everyone - greetings from the Great Lakes. I have a Hartley 39' (ferro) that I bought in Trinidad last year and sailed up to Cleveland, Ohio, via Bermuda, NYC and the Erie Canal, mostly singlehanded and I'm looking forward to some great cruising in the next few years. I am married and have two daughters (17 and 22), none of whom are slightly interested in sailing, but are very supportive and tolerant of the crazy stuff that we all do.

I can't do much this year because of work obligations, but next summer (09) I'm hoping to go up to Cape Breton Island, and store the boat there and then the following summer sail to the west coast of Ireland (I used to live there and I have friends and relatives living in Dublin). I'm hoping that some of you might be able to help me out on where I might be able to store my boat in Cape Breton or thereabouts, and some tips on cruising in that area (currents, etc.). And I'm sure many of you have experience sailing in Ireland.

I also have a Pearson 30 that I've have for many years, that I cruise on the Great Lakes. I kind of have to sell that one, but I love the boat and keeping a boat in Cleveland is ridiculously cheap, so I haven't actively done much to sell it.

I look forward to some great interaction and hope to learn much from you guys and maybe contribute a little bit.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:01 AM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard - good to have you here.

Suggest you ask specific questions on the main cruising/sailing board above - we don't profess to know it all but there are always a few knowledgeable enough amongst this friendly crew to have the right suggestions or advice.

We hope to hear lots from you!

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
Admiral

I know nothing about Cape Breton Island, but decided to do a little Googling to see what I could find. This is a lovely site: http://capebretonisland.com/

I didn't know that Cape Breton was rated most beautiful island in the world (by Conde Nast Traveler)!

When we were in the Baltic last summer we planned to cross the Kattegat from Gothenburg, Sweden to some place in Denmark's Jutland island. We knew we had only a one day weather window and thus couldn't do the usual cruising guide routes and stops. To shorten the story, we had no information about a section of Jutland that was where we wanted to be, and so I took a map of the island and did a Google search on the villages in that area in the hopes that we could find a place to stop. You can smile, but we found an amazing tiny fishing village that met our needs perfectly! (Because we had no idea if there was anything at all available to accomodate us, we had an "escape plan" should this stop have not worked out!). I love these little successes, though I prefer a bit more information before heading to an unknown destination.

I hope that one of our members can provide more information for you than my little pep talk, but I couldn't resist.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:58 PM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandrocks View Post
Hi everyone - greetings from the Great Lakes. I have a Hartley 39' (ferro) that I bought in Trinidad last year and sailed up to Cleveland, Ohio, via Bermuda, NYC and the Erie Canal, mostly singlehanded and I'm looking forward to some great cruising in the next few years. ...
Hi Cleveland Rocks. I just joined and your post stood out. I live in Lake County. I used to do a lot of dinghy, catamaran, and J24 racing. The only watercraft I have now are hand powered. Every summer, I pedal up to the coast and the wind on my face makes me start to dream.

We vacationed at Cape Breton NP eight years ago. It is a pretty spendid place. Driving the coast road was wonderful. We spotted a pod of pilot whales from the highway. That drew a crowd in the parking lot. I don't know how to advise you about getting storage or going to Ireland.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:46 AM   #5

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee
Bras d'Or Lake

We've driven all over Nova Scotia and Cape Brenton Island. Many wonderful places to sail before you go to Ireland. However, a great place to store your boat would be Bras D'Or Lake which is a wonderful long lake in the middle of Cape Brenton Island.

It is a most fitting place as a "start" for your trip across the Atlantic. An Atlantic voyage starting from there began the wheels turning to the founding of the Cruising Club of America (CCA).

I'll quote from Nowhere is Too Far: The Annals of the Cruising Club of America :

"We come now to the Typhoonn saga, which resulted in the founding of the Cruising Club of America. In the autumn of 1920, [William] Nutting and his friend Casey Baldwin were duck shooting in the Bras d'Or Lakes and living aboard [CCA] charter member Gilbert Grosvenor's 54-foot yawl Elsie. One night in her cabin...they conceived the idea of Typhoon and the Atlantic crossing. In the Bras d'Or Lakes today, Elsie still flies the CCA burgee.

Typhoon, a gaff-rigged ketch, was designed by William Atkin, She was 45 feet overall, 35 feet on the waterline, 12 feet beam and something over 6 feet in draft. Her auxiliary engine never really functioned, and by today's standards she was crude indeed. Actually, she does not compare favorably with similar-sized fishing vessels of that era. Typhoon was launched on June 30, 1921 at Baddeck in the Bras d'Or Lakes, and got underway for England on July 18 at 1:40 a.m."

The story goes on to tells us that

"off Newfoundland they ran into what appears to have been a summer northeast blow and had a nasty night of it under jib and mizzen. From then on they experienced the thick weather and hard westerlies of those regions. On occasion, when tired, they all turned in and let the boat take care of herself under a jib. Their navigation consisted of about one sight a day, laboriously worked out, as they were not experienced in this department. The only serious mishap occurred when an inadvertent jibe carried away the mizzen shrouds, but repairs were effected. Nutting was learning, as rather naive conclusions about various sail combinations recorded in his log show. They did not hesitate to drive the Typhoon, and arrived in Cowes on August 9th, twenty-two days out, a most creditable performance. They lay at anchor in Cowes until August 31, and Bill Nutting's charm and enthusiasm sparked a warm welcome from British yachtsmen. Such small boat passages were unusual in those days, and he was a real ambassador of good will. Most important of all, he bacame the friend of Claud Worth of Tern III fame and the Royal Cruising Club. It was from his talks with Worth that Nutting conceived the idea of the Cruising Club of America, patterned on the British organization. ...

The CCA was founded in 1922."

Bras D'Or Lake seems like a great place to make your start! Visit Elsie while you're there. She was on the market a few years ago and I think she's still there.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote