Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Power & Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-17-2019, 04:40 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Santa Barbara
Vessel Name: Baby Steps
Default Noco Genius 20A 2 bank, wants Extension cord plug in?

I just bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003JSJS5I

20A, 2 bank charger.

Thing is, reading reviews, it is saying the 5 year warranty is null and void if I modify the cords in any way.

So normally I would have cut the end off the AC plug and wired it into the shore power the same way my current charger is. But if I do that, bye bye 5 year warranty. So I need to wire an outlet or an extension cord.

I'm a bit of an amateur electrician. Done a few projects with careful research like installing my galvanic isolator, wired/soldered connections for interior LED strips, made some connections here and there and replaced fuses, etc.

Just want to check in with y'all.... can I snip an extension cord, wire it the way I would my charger, then plug the charger into the female port on the extension cord? I know, I know, it is an exposure to salt, moisture that I would prefer to avoid so I'm going to solder/dielectric grease/heat shrink the cut connection and wrap the extension plugs with electrical tape. but will this work? any better way to do it?

Old 08-17-2019, 07:26 PM   #2
Ensign

Home Port: Santa Barbara
Vessel Name: Baby Steps
Default One option

Another option I have requiring little extra effort is to plug the charger into my GFCI outlet in the galley then run the wire behind but then the plug wire will always be right there in my galley where I prepare food, move things about, etc. I would prefer something that is going to have limited exposure to movement, etc.