Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Other Equipment
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-01-2006, 04:48 AM   #1
Ensign

Send a message via AIM to karenmmc
Default Marking for inflatable

We've got a 8' dinghy. Each time we use it, we de-flate /fold up / stow it to keep it out of our way around the marina. We're in North Carolina - and it's a registered vessel. We don't currently have it marked with the letters/numbers or the registration sticker. We've so far gotten by without a wildlife officer questioning us. But, we'd like to be legal to use the outboard motor.

My question is - does anyone know a good way to mark it? I've seen stick-on lettering, but because of all the folding, I'm afraid it will peel up - particularly the registration sticker. A friend suggested using a small board to hang over the side with all the info, but I'm having trouble visualizing how that would look/work. Has anyone ever seen such a setup? Does that seem like a good idea, or should I just put stickers on and replace as needed?

Old 09-01-2006, 01:59 PM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi, I had a similar problem with my avon. Have bought some repair fabric of a different colour to the tubes, the correct glue for repairs, cut out the letters, followed the patching instructions for cleaning the surface and glued the little buggers on. That was over two years ago and everything is still fine.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 09:23 AM   #3
Rear Admiral

Or... use a sharpie pen to number your dink. Take your time and she'll look just fine. I stick my reggo sticker on the inside surface of the transomon our RIB. The water cops told me that although the sticker isn't displayed exactly as per instruction - they are more than willing to give anyone a break who is at least trying to do the right thing and play by the rules.

To Life!

Kirk
Old 09-02-2006, 02:09 PM   #4
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Pardon my ignorance, but do you have to pay registration on your tender in the US? Some Oz states require some from of registration on yachts etc...where I live in the Northern Territory, only commercial vessels need to be registered. The government abandoned registrations many years ago. They decided it was costing more to police than the rego's were bringing in.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 08:48 PM   #5
Admiral

"but do you have to pay registration on your tender in the US?"

In some states, if there is a motor greater than 10 hp. In some states, if there is any motor at all. In some states, nothing at all for a tender.

Registration of yachts, though. There has to be some system for proving ownership, and registration in a state, or federal documentation, is the route for that.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:59 PM   #6
Rear Admiral

We just use a permanent marker pen and a plastic stencil from a stationery store.

Sure - it does fade over a season - but with the stencil you can refresh it yearly (or indeed even change the tender name periodically if you so wish).

Cheers

JOHN