Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Other Equipment
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-16-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
Commander

Send a message via MSN to Qldcruiser
Default Wind Vane Autohelm

Hi All,

After a bit advice on Wind Vane autohelms.

The goal is to bring Blue Lady up to long haul cruising from her previous race trim.

We have Raymarine electric everything but I know for long haul that the electric is not the only way.

Been trying to find good info and values of new and second hand WVA's but this has been awfully thin on the ground.

Anyone have any advice or info?

Cheers
Rob And Annette

Old 01-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
Rear Admiral

Home Port: Hamburg
Vessel Name: Aquaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qldcruiser View Post
Hi All,

Been trying to find good info and values of new and second hand WVA's but this has been awfully thin on the ground.

Cheers
Rob And Annette
Hi Rob and Annette,
Guess, you have tried these sites for first info:

The wind vane steering I plan to install for next season is the
'Pacific' from WINDPILOT: selfsteering under sail
This german company has three versions in their product line and I find the free downloadable online manual (pdf) quite informative - actually it is a book of 141 pages!

In Denmark they build the Aries vane gear, also a pendulum rudder system like the windpilot. Also a wondereful gear!

Or try the british-canadian Company Hydrovane: Self Steering Hydrovane Selfsteer

and last but not least the US-manufactured SAILOMAT

Right now the german technical boating magazine PALSTEK has a quite informative article out on the topic wind vane self steering and compares the products quite well. Unfortunately, it is in german and only in print version, which does not help here, but if you have more specific questions I could help out finding and translating info from there!

Uwe
SY Aquaria

More on my Centurion 32:
https://www.cabinetdeparodontologie.n...ria/index.html
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Germany, Background, Cruising/Sailing the German Bight
Aquaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
Rear Admiral

Hi Rob and Annette,

We have a Windpilot onboard Mico - it's been fantastic and I have the manuals in both hardcopy and I think digital form. I'll email them to you. We are currently waiting for a small replacement part that has seen a bit of wear over the last 12 years but when I contacted the company via email in Germany - they came back to us within a few hours and have been extremely helpful. They still carry parts for every windvane they have ever made - try getting Ray Marine to say that! Raymarine have a policy of buying back as many spares as they can from previous automhelm models when they release a new one. They then trash them. As a consequence you're forced to pay through the nose - very disappointing indeed. And don't get me started on how they treat the Aussie consumer! $1600 US for the Grand Prix and $3600 for the same thing in Oz! Rip off!

Fair winds,

Mico
Old 01-19-2012, 05:35 AM   #4
Commander

Thanks guys,

That would be very appreciated Mico.

I am going to purchase both a WVA and a furler before June so this is serious research for me now.

cheers
Rob And Annette
Old 01-22-2012, 11:38 PM   #5
Ensign

Home Port: Oslo
Vessel Name: Nocturne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qldcruiser View Post
Hi All,

After a bit advice on Wind Vane autohelms.

The goal is to bring Blue Lady up to long haul cruising from her previous race trim.

We have Raymarine electric everything but I know for long haul that the electric is not the only way.

Anyone have any advice or info?

Cheers
Rob And Annette
Hi Rob and Annette
I have one boat in Croatia, you can see it on my photos where I have a Windpilot Pacific. It is a very nice windvane. My wife also has a boat and we want a vane installed on that one too. She has an Albin Ballad 30 feet. We have come across a windvane from Argentina, but soldt from Germany or the UK. The brand is South Atlantic Wind Vane Self Steering Gear: Windvane Self Steering Gear South Atlantic. It is similar to the Windpilot, but the price is only half: 1450€ for boats up to 50 feet. They have one for boats up to 30 feet, but it is for coastal sailing with boats up to 30 feet. Have a look at the site. I have tried to get second hand, but the price they ask is almost like a new one. Sometimes even more. I have many more websites with wind vanes too if you are interested. I have just finished my "research" and ended up with the one from Argentina.

Best regards, Knut Olseng, Oslo
Old 01-22-2012, 11:42 PM   #6
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolseng View Post
Hi Rob and Annette
I have one boat in Croatia, you can see it on my photos where I have a Windpilot Pacific. It is a very nice windvane. My wife also has a boat and we want a vane installed on that one too. She has an Albin Ballad 30 feet. We have come across a windvane from Argentina, but soldt from Germany or the UK. The brand is South Atlantic Wind Vane Self Steering Gear: Windvane Self Steering Gear South Atlantic. It is similar to the Windpilot, but the price is only half: 1450€ for boats up to 50 feet. They have one for boats up to 30 feet, but it is for coastal sailing with boats up to 30 feet. Have a look at the site. I have tried to get second hand, but the price they ask is almost like a new one. Sometimes even more. I have many more websites with wind vanes too if you are interested. I have just finished my "research" and ended up with the one from Argentina.

Best regards, Knut Olseng, Oslo

Ah, now I saw your letter was sent almost five years ago. I hope you enjoy the vane you have bought.
Knut
Old 01-23-2012, 12:59 AM   #7
Commander

NO Knut,

I joined five years ago

This is very current my friend. Any info would be so appreciated.

The info on furlers has almost been overwhelming but the info on WVA's has been almost non existent.

Cheers
Rob And Annette
Old 01-29-2012, 01:30 AM   #8
Ensign

Home Port: Mooloolaba

I and two of my friends used Aires to sail around the world. I am still using mine but both friends are finished with theirs. I can get you in touch if you want. One in Melb, one in Mooloolaba. Don
Old 01-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #9
Ensign

Hi. Thanks for the info. We have just decided to buy a new one. South-Atlantic wind vane: Windvane Self Steering Gear South Atlantic. It looks a bit like the Windpilot Pacific, but the price is just the half. Aries is a good one. I hope the South Atlantic is too......
Knut
Old 01-30-2012, 02:52 AM   #10
Commander

HI,
The mooloolaba one is interesting as although my boat lives in NSW, I live in Toowoomba. If you could PM me the contact details I will be in touch.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:52 AM   #11
Ensign

Home Port: Mooloolaba

Sorry, a bit new to this. PM???
You could call me on 0458428148?
Is this allowed.
Cheers, Don
Old 02-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #12
Rear Admiral

Hey QLDCruiser

We sent you a pm re a windvane for sale

Fair winds,

mico
Old 06-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #13
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

I have a Hydrovane fitted to my 42 foot yacht that I am thinking of selling. Its about 12 years old and in very good condition. I am getting older and am going to fit an auto pilot as I don't intend to do a lot of blue water cruising, sticking more to coastal stuff in the future ... well maybe still a trip to Asia next year ... smiles.

Lexx
Old 06-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #14
Commander

I would be most interested in that Lexx. Just drop me a line with some info and a price via pm. It is my intention to leave Australia in May of next year for at least 5 years cruising.

Cheers
Rob
Old 06-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #15
Capt'n

Rob,

PM sent with my contact etc.

Lexx
Old 09-17-2012, 08:36 AM   #16
Capt'n

My Hydrovane is still for sale ... works perfectly ... contact me anyone who is interested.

Lexx
Old 10-03-2012, 01:17 AM   #17
Ensign

Home Port: cleveland
Vessel Name: Palindrome
Default Hydro Vane....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexx View Post
My Hydrovane is still for sale ... works perfectly ... contact me anyone who is interested.

Lexx
Hey Lexx,

I am interested in your Hydrovane. What is the asking price?

Regis
Old 10-03-2012, 02:39 AM   #18
Capt'n

The vane was sold last week ... thank you to those that expressed interest.

Lexx