Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-01-2008, 07:00 PM   #15
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagman View Post
All materials have benefits - and I've yet to see a GRP destroyer.
John,

I have only found one substance that can destroy GRP, and that is Methanol. It takes a couple of days, but pure MeOH will turn most cross linked polymers into mush.

Ken

Old 06-03-2008, 05:35 AM   #16
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
John,

I have only found one substance that can destroy GRP, and that is Methanol. It takes a couple of days, but pure MeOH will turn most cross linked polymers into mush.

Ken
Ok Ken I'll try again.

Never seen a GRP Frigate.

JOHN

Old 06-05-2008, 02:10 AM   #17
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Quote:
Ok Ken I'll try again.

JOHN
Ahh frigate about it
Old 06-05-2008, 12:52 PM   #18

Now, John, you know as well as I do that the choice of steel for building large ships has less to do with the material with the greatest strength to weight ratio than with the ease of construction. Can you imagine a hull mold for a frigate?

When we stopped at Beveridge Reef in the S. Pacific, a completely submerged atoll, there was a modern GRP fishing boat up on the reef, had been there for about 6 months or so. About 60' long, the hull was two pieces with a bolts joining the forward and after parts of the hull. It had gone up on the reef during a storm when it had (reportedly) lost its electronics (though they called for help and were rescued, so they hadn't lost everything - there wasn't any civilization within VHF hailing distance). The force of the seas pushing the boat over the reef ripped its huge propellor off (the windward/seaward edge of the reef was as wide as a two-lane highway, barely awash at low tide, at most 3 feet below sea level at high tide), and the reef did put a hole in the side of the boat, but not a large one, and that might have been the result of six months of pounding and storms rather than damage incurred when it first went up. Salvage was near impossible since the boat was sitting on the reef with at least 60 feet of reef separating the boat from clear water on all sides. Nothing could get to it except a dinghy at high tide.

Back when Peter and I were restoring old buildings, we had to replace a support beam. The 100+ y.o. wooden beam was about 8 inches square. In order to get the same load-bearing capacity we had to go with a 12" steel beam and still had to add an additional support halfway along its length. (dimensions might not be exact here - it's been 30 years since we did the work).

Steel is not necessarily the strongest or best construction material, but often the easiest to work with, especially on the scale of military vessels or freight carriers.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:20 PM   #19
Admiral

Quote:
No, nor have I but I have sailed on a minehunter which was built of GRP and she was 48 metres long with a displacement of 360 tonnes.

It is horses for courses. The minhunter, even though she was the size of a corvette, was built in GRP to be non-magnetic. Of course, aluminium would have worked as well but at what cost?

Jeanne is of course right. It is the cost of building which, oncce basic parameters of strength etc have been met, that dictate the material to be used. I suppose, if cost was no object we would all be sailing boats made of titanium.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote