Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-05-2016, 11:01 AM   #15
Lieutenant

Home Port: Portsmouth

Nice to see such a variety of boats there - looks like a great place to do some work.
A lick of paint will transform her

Old 07-05-2016, 11:19 PM   #16
Admiral

Home Port: Sydney
Vessel Name: Keppelena & Shenoa

I'm going to learn a lot on this first haulout. And yes, just needs a lick of paint ...

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:39 PM   #17
GOF

Home Port: Mandurah
Vessel Name: Stand Easy and now Eleuthera as well

Looks like you will have some company for a while. Also heaps of people to help you out.
Old 07-08-2016, 01:15 PM   #18
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsquizzy View Post
Looks like you will have some company for a while. Also heaps of people to help you out.

Hahaha. Love your sense of humour. Most likely I'll be helping them out, being the only trained electronics guy on site. Anyone can scrape and sand.

Currently in Yass, NSW on my way to Melbourne to collect my belongings from storage. I bought an Isuzu Elf truck for the task. 62kW (86hp) diesel gets 12l/100km which is amazing. A 1986 model, it has only traveled 6500km per year for an odometer reaing below 200,000km. A bargain.

It's also small enough to park next to the yacht and contain my tools and equipment, avoiding the need for a storage container. They used to allow those at the yard before it got too crowded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Little Blue Truck.jpg (32.2 KB, 0 views)

Old 07-14-2016, 08:07 AM   #19
Admiral

Have now collected my stuff from storage and returned to Brisbane. The truck is completely full which means I'll need to go through it and mercilessly toss things out before I can fit the tools for the restoration in there. At least I no longer have anything left in Melbourne, which is a relief.

The trip back was eventful. There was a cold snap in South Australia and it spread to Victoria and the southern parts of New South Wales. Winds gusting to 100km/h with broken bits of tree branches blowing across the roads. Kangaroos, lots of them, hopping in front of the truck. Rain. Sleet. Fortunately I missed the snow, that only hit Victoria.

The Newell Highway has to be the worst goat track I've ever had the misfortune to drive. I'll be surprised if there isn't a lot of broken stuff inside when I open the back door again.

Travelled 3,600km in just over a week. I was glad to finally stop last night.

While in Melbourne I sat the marine and personal watercraft license tests and passed, they should arrive in a few days. The marine license is needed in order to use an engine greater than 6hp in some states, notably Queensland. The PWC test was no extra cost so I did that for fun. One day someone might offer me a ride on a jetski, who knows.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:50 PM   #20
GOF

Well what is happening, Or have you found a book you forgot you had and the rest of the world has stopped as you read it again?
Hows it going mate?
Old 07-20-2016, 03:44 AM   #21
Admiral

Due to rotten weather and the need to clear some of my junk I decided to stay at my brother's place for the next few weeks. Will be back at the marina soon.

Also, I almost bought a Ferrari. Having money is dangerous.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:24 AM   #22
Admiral

Having inspected the contents of several computers in my belongings, four of them have landed on the junkpile. I'm still having trouble tossing out a large quantity of new electronic components that cost me a lot of money, but which have been superceded by newer technology. And my lifetime book collection is still untouched.

I imagine this would be easier for someone who just has household goods to dispose of prior to cruising. I form very little attachment to couches or beds, but cringe at disposing of working electronics, technical manuals, and projects I fully intended to complete. Having spent almost 40 years fixing such stuff, it has a value to me even if there is no market for it.

I truly thought this would be more cathartic. Maybe when I'm done throwing things out the full effect will be evident. Meanwhile I still have several cubic metres of junk in the truck that I know I'll never use again, which - if I'm brutally honest - will only be thrown out by whoever has to clean up after I'm gone. All the logic in the world tells me to toss it and yet I hesitate.

I feel like a devout Christian who has been asked to burn his bible. It makes me go "squeee" just to think about it. I'm starting to understand those TV hoarders too, although I can better justify my hoarding at least, based on perceived value.

It's junk. It's not junk. It's junk. It's not junk.

I think if I had a working yacht and was ready to sail this would be a lot easier actually. Maybe that's the trouble ... throwing it all out gives me no way back.

And back to what, anyhow? A failed life that I no longer want?

In retrospect it made absolutely no sense to have paid for storage for the past five years. Back then, I didn't have a different plan. I still expected to be working until I was 65. I thought I'd retire and tinker with this stuff.

But life changed. I need to change with it. So, it has to go.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:01 AM   #23
Lieutenant

Home Port: Portsmouth

If you have stored it for five years not not needed it now then best to do away with it.
You will feel liberated
Old 07-27-2016, 11:36 AM   #24
GOF

There are now only three criteria. Can I eat it. Does it float. Can I fish with it. Amen.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:52 AM   #25
Admiral

Still at my brother's place. Flu, and the Olympics, kept me here longer than anticipated. I'll definitely leave after his birthday at the end of the week.

Webb Chiles has just passed the southern end of Madagascar and appears to be heading for the beautiful Richards Bay. Bob Norson of "The Coastal Passage" has entered the Darwin-Ambon Race/Rally in his self-made catamaran Barebones and is currently running fourth overall and second in his class.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:09 AM   #26
Admiral

Still at Ipswich. After the flu blew over I awoke one morning feeling like someone had smashed me in the jaw with a mallet while I slept. I fairly quickly assessed the situation and concluded that I had an abcess below an otherwise good tooth. My face had started to swell and was very sore indeed.

A course of amoxycillin would have been the fastest remedy but that would require a visit to either a GP or a dentist, both of which are costly options. It also tends to clobber the good bugs along with the bad, which I wanted to avoid.

I did a quick internet search and found that echinacea was used to treat this sort of thing prior to the invention of penicillin so headed to the supermarket. Found a combo tablet of echinacea, zinc, vitamin C and garlic at $14.00 for 60 tablets and started taking them - two every four hours - about 10 days ago. All residual flu symptoms disappeared almost immediately and the infection has been improving gradually, to the point where I can barely feel where the lump was if I prod at it. Probably cured any scurvy-related symptoms too, my gums do look a lot better generally.

I'll be keeping this stuff aboard from now on, it works well.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:25 PM   #27
GOF

Methinks a big needle in da bottom witha bigga dose of pendapillin wouda worked as well.....lol Other than that are you ok?
Old 08-29-2016, 12:37 AM   #28
Admiral

See para. 2.

I'm old and tired. OK isn't an option any more.

« Thankless tasks | - »