Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-28-2016, 04:30 AM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None
Default The Full Monty

Since I'm going to be at Montys Marina doing my restoration for the next few months, this thread will document the work.

Checked in at the office, did my washing ($3.00 at the marina) and shopping (IGA Beachmere) and then trundled around the yard meeting guys working on their yachts. Lots of steelies here, and a significant number of very old timber yachts. It feels like a proper boatyard as distinct from one of these modern places only geared to extracting money from people hauling out for a quick antifoul.

So far I've met two Germans, a South African and a Zimbabwean so it's quite the international scene.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:54 AM   #2
GOF

Home Port: Mandurah
Vessel Name: Eleuthera

Will you be the only ferro?

Old 06-28-2016, 11:37 PM   #3
Admiral

There's a Hartley Tahitian 50'er coming up from Colmslie in the next two months, owned by my mate Tony. He needs a king tide to get up here. Also the Seth Efrican guy - who is an A1 surveyor - built a ferro double-ender which currently sits in the river outside the marina. I didn't notice any others on the hard.

Apparently there are a few boat builders at the marina as well, judging by the brand new timber trawler that was being wheeled around yesterday. Also lots of glass cats and even one each of Searunner 31 and Piver trimarans. Very interesting yard to be at.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:02 AM   #4
GOF

So pics of the marina are where? looking looking looking mmmmmmmmmh
Old 06-29-2016, 09:55 AM   #5
Admiral

Soon Squizzy. I'll take the phone/camera next trip.

I rowed ashore again today, had a shower, did some minor shopping for things I forgot the other day and wandered around talking to people while waiting for the tide to change back. Being anchored 500 metres from the ramp, I need the help of the tide.

Found two more ferros in the yard but they were well hidden and have not been worked on recently. One had the inevitable title "Moonraker" (groan).

Apparently the locals nickname Montys "Hotel California" because people hardly ever leave. There are already bets that my 6 month stay will become at least 3 years. And now that I look at the cost of storing a container on site they may just be right. I could stash all my tools there and bring Keppelena up from Sydney ... hmmm.

Some of the old guys there are real characters. One is a stone deaf Englishman with at least three yachts and a contrainer at the yard, and I doubt he has actually sailed in years. Another is working on an Adams 43'er and spent half the day installing a wire from the wind generator; he's totally senile and kept forgetting what I told him, then asking the same question again.

Strangely enough, they're all around my age too. Not sure how I avoided the ravages that they obviously suffer.

Then there are some who just keep their heads down and get the job done. That will be me for sure. I really want to see the world before I get to the stage of treating a shipyard as an old men's home.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:50 PM   #6
GOF

Sounds like some yards over here. I call them the fields of broken dreams.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:36 AM   #7
Admiral

Forgot to mention that Serge Testa is working on a yacht here as well. It's a little larger than the one he made famous though. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serge_Testa

Squizzy, when I make the video I'll be using the following music as background, thanks to your inspiring comment:

Old 07-02-2016, 04:11 AM   #8
GOF

LOL, my pleasure.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:03 AM   #9
Admiral

Took a few happy snaps today Squizzy, here you go:
Attached Thumbnails
Image000.jpg   Image001.jpg   Image002.jpg   Image003.jpg   Image004.jpg  

Old 07-03-2016, 05:04 AM   #10
Admiral

More ...
Attached Thumbnails
Image005.jpg   Image006.jpg   Image007.jpg   Image008.jpg   Image009.jpg  

Old 07-03-2016, 05:06 AM   #11
Admiral

And yet more ...
Attached Thumbnails
Image010.jpg   Image011.jpg   Image012.jpg   Image013.jpg   Image014.jpg  

Old 07-03-2016, 05:06 AM   #12
Admiral

And here's the last few ... as you can see, quite a variety here. There must be 100 boats in the yard in all.
Attached Thumbnails
Image015.jpg   Image016.jpg   Image017.jpg  

Old 07-03-2016, 08:14 AM   #13
Admiral

Enquired after a pair of Yanmar 3GM30 diesels that just came out of a 42' cat in working order. They look so good you could eat your breakfast off them and the seller only wanted $1990 the pair. Gone, advertised less than two days and I missed them. FML.
Attached Thumbnails
3gm30.jpg  

Old 07-05-2016, 06:56 AM   #14
Admiral

OK, we're out of the water. Some photos of the very hairy bum as she was being cleaned:
Attached Thumbnails
Image003.jpg   Image004.jpg   Image005.jpg   Image006.jpg   Image007.jpg  

Old 07-05-2016, 10:01 AM   #15
Lieutenant

Home Port: Portsmouth
Vessel Name: No Worries

Nice to see such a variety of boats there - looks like a great place to do some work.
A lick of paint will transform her
Old 07-05-2016, 10:19 PM   #16
Admiral

I'm going to learn a lot on this first haulout. And yes, just needs a lick of paint ...

Old 07-07-2016, 12:39 PM   #17
GOF

Looks like you will have some company for a while. Also heaps of people to help you out.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:15 PM   #18
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsquizzy View Post
Looks like you will have some company for a while. Also heaps of people to help you out.

Hahaha. Love your sense of humour. Most likely I'll be helping them out, being the only trained electronics guy on site. Anyone can scrape and sand.

Currently in Yass, NSW on my way to Melbourne to collect my belongings from storage. I bought an Isuzu Elf truck for the task. 62kW (86hp) diesel gets 12l/100km which is amazing. A 1986 model, it has only traveled 6500km per year for an odometer reaing below 200,000km. A bargain.

It's also small enough to park next to the yacht and contain my tools and equipment, avoiding the need for a storage container. They used to allow those at the yard before it got too crowded.
Attached Thumbnails
Little Blue Truck.jpg  

Old 07-14-2016, 07:07 AM   #19
Admiral

Have now collected my stuff from storage and returned to Brisbane. The truck is completely full which means I'll need to go through it and mercilessly toss things out before I can fit the tools for the restoration in there. At least I no longer have anything left in Melbourne, which is a relief.

The trip back was eventful. There was a cold snap in South Australia and it spread to Victoria and the southern parts of New South Wales. Winds gusting to 100km/h with broken bits of tree branches blowing across the roads. Kangaroos, lots of them, hopping in front of the truck. Rain. Sleet. Fortunately I missed the snow, that only hit Victoria.

The Newell Highway has to be the worst goat track I've ever had the misfortune to drive. I'll be surprised if there isn't a lot of broken stuff inside when I open the back door again.

Travelled 3,600km in just over a week. I was glad to finally stop last night.

While in Melbourne I sat the marine and personal watercraft license tests and passed, they should arrive in a few days. The marine license is needed in order to use an engine greater than 6hp in some states, notably Queensland. The PWC test was no extra cost so I did that for fun. One day someone might offer me a ride on a jetski, who knows.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:50 PM   #20
GOF

Well what is happening, Or have you found a book you forgot you had and the rest of the world has stopped as you read it again?
Hows it going mate?