Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Repairs & Maintenance
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
Ensign

I have a hypalon dinghy, there is a large leak in the boat and hypalon glue is not available where I am (in the Dominican Republic). Can anyone tell me if there is another glue that will work to adhere the patch, the marina store here sold me Wurth "fast fix super glue" and said it would work. I would appreciate help with this as we will be delivering a boat from here to Panama and need a dependable dinghy.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

I'm sure that "MMNETSEA" will be able to assist you with this - he'll be along in a few hours (night-time now where he is located).

Or, others may also be able to help shortly.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:33 PM   #3
Admiral

Hello Curt and Sandy,

Remember well slicing a foot long slit in my brand new Achilles dink - the repair kit's glue had hardened. Dammit! Had 2 part epoxy glue for plywood - nothing tried nothing gained - against all advice, used the epoxy, once it set pumped up the tube compartment. 3 years later still in good nick, not a leak!

Not familiar with 'Wurth's' super glue.

Richard
Old 02-06-2010, 01:11 AM   #4
Admiral

Any of the super glues (cyanoacrylates) are inappropriate for marine applications. Though they need moisture to set, the glue is not waterproof.

I have a lot of faith in epoxy, and so can understand it could repair a hypalon dinghy. Another suggestion would be to get solvent-based contact cement (nowadays there's a latexl/water based formula, which I do not recommend). The stuff that you paint on both surfaces, let dry, then put together to form an instant and strong bond. Contact cement is what is used to laminate formica/plastic laminate to counter tops. It's waterproof.

Hypalon repair kits contain a glue contact cement type of glue. The instructions tell you to clean the area with solvent, then use fine sandpaper to scuff the fabric. Paint the contact cement on both the dinghy fabric and the patch. Let dry (I can't remember, it's 15 minutes or longer) to touch. Then press the patch firmly to the dinghy fabric. When the two glues touch, they will bond instantly, and you will not be able to adjust the patch at all, so be sure you do it right the first time. You want the glue on the dinghy fabric to be a bit larger than the size of the patch so there are no unbonded edges to lift and catch on things.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:38 AM   #5

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP View Post
Any of the super glues (cyanoacrylates) are inappropriate for marine applications. Though they need moisture to set, the glue is not waterproof.

I have a lot of faith in epoxy, and so can understand it could repair a hypalon dinghy. Another suggestion would be to get solvent-based contact cement (nowadays there's a latexl/water based formula, which I do not recommend). The stuff that you paint on both surfaces, let dry, then put together to form an instant and strong bond. Contact cement is what is used to laminate formica/plastic laminate to counter tops. It's waterproof.

Hypalon repair kits contain a glue contact cement type of glue. The instructions tell you to clean the area with solvent, then use fine sandpaper to scuff the fabric. Paint the contact cement on both the dinghy fabric and the patch. Let dry (I can't remember, it's 15 minutes or longer) to touch. Then press the patch firmly to the dinghy fabric. When the two glues touch, they will bond instantly, and you will not be able to adjust the patch at all, so be sure you do it right the first time. You want the glue on the dinghy fabric to be a bit larger than the size of the patch so there are no unbonded edges to lift and catch on things.
This is the same sort of contact cement that one uses with repair of bike tire tubes as well. I would think you'd be able to find repair kits for bikes tires anywhere in the world.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #6
Ensign

We have seen a buddy boat of ours use 3M 5200, which is waterproof, for putting on patches to their rubber duck, and the patches were still holding 3 years later when they sold the boat and dingy. Clean up,scuff and apply, but wait 24 hours before inflating. Since it is moisture cured, after an hour, use a spray bottle, or damp cloth to dampen the patch. If you do not have any 5200 on board, you should have some because it is SO useful. Best of luck!
Old 03-26-2010, 08:03 AM   #7
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to canuckiwis

hmm we are relatively new to that particular product *where have we been, don't ask!), yet everyone raves about the mythical 3M 5200... what doesn't it do!!! Seriously though, where have people used it to good effect???
Old 03-26-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckiwis' date='26 March 2010 - 03:03 PM View Post

hmm we are relatively new to that particular product *where have we been, don't ask!), yet everyone raves about the mythical 3M 5200... what doesn't it do!!! Seriously though, where have people used it to good effect???
Hi Dan,

3M's 5200 is an excellent product, but has specific uses and cautions - the major caution:- if used it refuses to come off (The are solvents available), see CLICK

It is good for keel to hull joint caulking - essentially it is an adhesive. If you are in a warm to hot climate keep the cartridge or tube in the fridge.

Tags
dinghy