Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
Rear Admiral

Default Borneo Update

Been here in Kota for 5 days and in that time I've walked every lane and byway looking for parts and provisions and spent the rest of the time up side down in the bilge and freezer cabinets installing new fridge and freezer units.

Unfortunatekly I only got a couple of days for the hand over and to say I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by it all is an understatement! Have meet a heap of welcoming yachts here in the marina and everyone has been very supportive and while my rational head says - 'you've done this many times before and you'll get the hang of it' the other side looks at the mass of 110v 12v & 240v wiring, pipes and pipes going every which way and a million and one throu hull fittings and just wants to run away!. We've all been there but none the less - it is very daunting.

Had a half day sail and that went well - under sail I'm very much at home - its the electrical I find a lil daunting.

My wife called this afternoon and asked how I was enjoying the resort and was I floating in the pool each day - as if! So tonight I'm up at the restaurant having a drink and a nosh up - I think I've deserved it!

Australis is a beautiful vessel and we're very fortunate to be her new owners - I just hope I don't press, pull, switch or rotate a lever, dial, button and send her to the bottom in my ignorance - wish me well everyone and keep your fingers crossed - I know I am!

Fair winds,

Mico

Old 05-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
Rear Admiral

[QUOTE=mico;33608]Been here in Kota for 5 days and in that time I've walked every lane and byway looking for parts and provisions and spent the rest of the time up side down in the bilge and freezer cabinets installing new fridge and freezer units.

I'd edit my Jim Beam spelling and diction but for some reason the forum wont play ball so you'll have to live with the errors

Old 05-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Hi there,

We know that overwhelmed feeling.

I always find it helpful to start drawing out a schematic of the pipes, valves, and so forth in the plumbing and doing the same in the electrical, recording what all I can. Writing down models and sizes of various bits and pieces, taking a few of the obvious measurements--and the not so obvious like how close to the waterline various vent loops may be... sometimes it's a bit surprising. It's the engineer in me coming out--or perhaps the consummate list-maker and organizer. In any case, I do feel SOOO much better once I've traced it AND recorded it in a notebook. Even if I don't fully understand it, at least I have an idea of what is where! Once I've gotten that far, I usually have begun to form an opinion about what might be likely to fail or needs to have some spares around--or be replaced.

Hubby has helped quite a few of boaters with figuring out their electrical systems. Seems that so many people have something not well understood and sometimes a little bit...different. The electrical is always a bit daunting for me. Thank goodness it's not so for him.

I'm pretty sure you have your own methods which work for you in getting your head around all the new systems. Soon, it will be very familiar and you'll feel as "at home" working all the systems as sailing the boat.

Keep us in the loop!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote