Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-14-2006, 09:22 AM   #1
Ensign

Default circumnavigation questions

Hello out there!

I'm pretty new to all of this, but I'm hoping to get some long distance sailing in sometime in the not-too-distant future. Would anyone be willing to share some basic details with a complete amateur? Here are my principle questions:

- What time of year to most people start out on circumnavigational journeys? I'm sure this must depend on where they are starting out from, so let's assume we are starting somewhere in the USA. Do people go both directions (ie, starting with either an Atlantic or a Pacific crossing), and if so, how does that affect the recommended time of year to start?

- How long does such a journey normally take? I realize there is probably quite a bit of variation here as well, but any general estimates would be appreciated.

Here is my situation, just so you're aware of what I'm thinking (don't worry, this is not a "crew seeking ship" ad!): I will be finishing my second year of veterinary school at the end of May, and I am wondering about the possibility of crewing on a boat starting out at that time. I am supposed to start back for my 3rd year in mid-August, but I'm seriously considering taking a year off if I can find the right situation. That would leave me until August of 2007. The other option is that I could go through 3rd year until it finishes at the end of February of 2007. At that point, my class would be officially starting our 4th year as we begin our clinical rotations in the hospital. So, I could potentially take a year off from February 2007 to February 2008.

Is it even reasonable that I might be able to find a situation in which this could work? Of course I don't have to make it ALL the way around the world --- I can save that for someday in the far future when I have my own boat and maybe family to cruise with. I do want to get some good sailing experience, however, and make one last "hurrah" at the life of freedom before starting my career as a veterinarian and settling down into "real" life.

Thanks for your advice!

- Elliott

Old 02-14-2006, 10:37 AM   #2
Commander

All your answers can be answered by buying Jimmy Cornells World Cruising Routes. Routes, timing, weather patterns.

Old 02-14-2006, 05:08 PM   #3
Rear Admiral

Hi Elliott,

If you aim to start as crew then maybe contact those running world cruising rallys to find a spot? http://www.challengebusiness.com are one aiming to start an event from Europe end 2007.

Often owners are short handed for some or all of such a trip and usually willing to consider keen competent crew joining them.

Re Q on how long it may take?

One would be rushing to do it in less than 18 months - most such crsuier rallys take 2 years - and I've seen individual boats take 10 years to go a quarter of the way.........

Good luck

JOHN
Old 02-14-2006, 08:31 PM   #4
Rear Admiral

Elliott,

I'm certainly no expert.

But I think your priorities are wrong.

I'd make that last push to complete your degree and then settle down in a "real life" as a world cruising veterinarian. This way you'd be shouting "hurrah" the rest of your life!

Kirk
Old 02-15-2006, 09:00 AM   #5
Ensign

Hi Kirk - Thanks for your sage advice! Any specific ideas on how I could make a living as "world cruising veterinarian"?

- Elliott
Old 02-15-2006, 10:44 AM   #6
Rear Admiral

Elliott,

Well... not specifically, but I've met lots of health professionals enjoying life while making a living out there. Dentists, especially.

As for me... I abandoned all career pursuits when I left Hawaii 12 years ago on a 37 ft pilothouse sloop. The boat was paid for and I had no debt or credit cards. I did have pieces of paper, tools and skills which enabled me to eek out a living as a boat captain, commercial diver & canvas maker. Plus I had a job waiting for me in Saipan, driving a sunset dinner cruise boat. After growing bored with that I sailed to Guam and scored a job on a dive boat before I'd even cleared customs! I stayed real busy with that for several months and then headed south for Australia... where I picked up a casual job selling helicopter rides to tourists out on the Great Barrier Reef. Sweet. The office was in the marina where we were berthed and I made pretty good money without having to wear shoes. I was in Ozzy long enough to earn a captain's license there, too. Next I wondered north thru Papua New Guinea and earned a few Kina tinkering on neglected boats, generators & trucks at several resorts which often provided dock space, showers, electricity and facilities for working on my own boat, too. I hauled out for two weeks in Madang for less than $200.USD and didn't even have to get my hands dirty! Then back to Guam for a 2 1/2 year period to focus all my efforts on fixing & upgrading the boat, topping up the cruising kitty and (best of all) getting married... aboard our boat, naturally. Now - my wife is certified as a scuba instructor and teaches English as a Second Language... whenever the opportunities present themselves.

For us, the trick has always been to wander a while and then stay a while, in distant places. Finding jobs along the way has never really been a problem because (in my opinion) the "talent pool" is quite shallow in remote places and finding employment is pretty easy, so long as you're honest and willing to work... and (especially) willing to share what you know. The world will open it's arms to you if you're polite, sensitive to and abide by local customs. Try to refrain from romancing the local cuties and above all DO NOT BE AN UGLY AMERICAN.

We'll never really make a lot of money - but now, after 12 years of gallivanting around our watery world, we've come to learn how little money we really need.

Elliott, I've seen domesticated animals EVERYWHERE and as a Veterinarian, with a simple bag of tools and the right frame of mind, well... the World can be your Oyster.

I'd like to chat longer but the Olympics are on.

Good luck,

Kirk

Tags
navigation