Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-11-2016, 11:00 PM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie
Default Evolution

A comment made to me today caused me to consider my history with Cruiser Log. It has been a rich and quite long history which has been characterised by a variety of significant events. When I joined I was a decent sailor with a developing knowledge of yacht design, refitting, maintenance and care of boats; and with a desire to learn much more.
I wanted to do more than sail around the harbour and along the coast. I recognised my shortcomings and realised they needed to be addressed if I was to become a true voyaging sailor. I remember so many people from Cruiser Log’s past. Some are still with us, some are not. But the level of genuine knowledge and the humble desire of cruising sailors to impart that knowledge to those who seek it, was integral to my development as a sailor.
As I became more knowledgeable and in turn was able to offer some advice to novices, I was subsequently provided with the motivation to conduct research into things which to many sailors would seem obscure. Without the support of Cruiser Log and the people who inhabit the community, my life as a sailor would be much poorer.
I am not a great sailor. I believe I am a competent sailor but, more than that, I am a safe sailor with a true knowledge of why things happen on boats in the way that they do. Largely that level of safety, especially when I am offshore, is due in no small part to Cruiser Log and my incidental, perhaps accidental, navigation of the runnels and tributaries which contribute to the oceans of knowledge and wisdom contained within.
This little missive serves no real purpose other than to make me feel good, and to thank those who have improved my sailing life. Mostly they will not understand the mammoth contribution which they have made. I am sailing in the Caribbean at the moment, and, without the people of Cruiser Log, that wouldn’t be happening.
Thanks!

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:17 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Auzzee ma-a-ate, you are appreciated. This is a great community and I've learned a lot here and made a number of fantastic friends. I include you in the latter, of course.

Glad to hear you're out pirating around the caribbean at last. Say "Arrrr!" to Captain Jack for me.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:00 PM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Cheers Mate. Haven't seen Cap'n Jack yet, but there's plenty to say Arrr about. The women here have bums you wouldn't believe...but it can be difficult onshore. Cost of living is Australia plus 28% (USA plus 45%). But the waters are free, clear and warm..though a little shallow.
Best wishes.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:39 PM   #4
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

I'd prefer it if the women were free, clear and warm ... and even a little shallow is OK too.

Mmmmm ... bums.

I had to restrain myself from linking to Bombs Away there. Then again maybe I should have, you probably haven't heard of them.

BTW, what's your opinion on Belize as a destination?

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote