Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-20-2006, 02:01 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Send a message via MSN to Chetan
Default JECKYLL SAILS

hi all

would appreciate any advice on JECKYLL SAILS

am looking for the price of a new suit of sails for a Prout 45 Catamaran

open to second hand sails as well

the vessel is being readied for a 1600 mile passage so the sails need to be in decent shape

appreciate the help

chetan

Old 01-20-2006, 08:26 PM   #2
Admiral

Have you checked with Rolly Tasker sails in Phuket? I understand they are very reasonable. If you're still in Phuket, go visit them - an impressive sail loft.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 12:52 AM   #3
Lieutenant

thanks, Jeanne.... rolly is the natural choice.... dunno why i did not think of it myself.... am in bombay right now but have been to the loft.... and the new one is around 10 times larger. i think they open early this year. thanks for good advice as usual.

chetan
Old 01-21-2006, 05:44 AM   #4
Ensign

Try

www.jeckells.co.uk/
Old 01-30-2006, 08:59 PM   #5
benscottrobinson

Jeckells are a UK based outfit from my neck of the woods. They originated doing sails for the yachts of the Broads - an extensive and popular area of rivers and lakes in the UK, although now they do a lot of sea going stuff as well.

It's a family owned company, and they race passionately. Locally nobody buys anything else, and as this includes the North Sea - arguably one of the worst tempered and most treacherous pieces water of water in the world.

My personal experience with their sails was on a 40' cat sailing the North Sea and some of the Dutch inland waterways. We got caught in a force 8 on the way back, and the reefing lines gave way due to being too thin. Having said this, the full sail we were then left with performed fantastically, and survived this battering without a mark.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:15 PM   #6
Commander

Chetan:

Given your location and the feedback I've heard from folks buying sails in the offshore market, I'd suggest you invite a quote from Lee Sails to benchmark against the Tasker sails. The description from multiple Lee customers of the quality of work and cloth used strikes me as very high, and it comes from folks who've put many miles on their sails.

Jack
Old 01-31-2006, 01:54 AM   #7
Lieutenant

thanks all for the advice. a lot depends on whether the delivery bid for DREAMCATCHER is successful or not. it may be possible that others have put in cheaper bids or may even be possible that delivery via sail is more expensive in the long run that to deliver it a la the Brazil / Movistar teams in the Volvo Round the World is wallenius & wilhelmsen listening?