Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-14-2006, 02:20 AM   #1
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to Deafhawk
Default Key West Mechanic Shark

The s/v Gretchen was damaged in Key West in huricane Katrina. Her owners were on their way to La Ceiba Honduras where they had purchased the Green Parot Cafe at the shipyard. Lynn went on to La Ceiba to tend to business and Mike staid in KW to deal with the insurance company and FEMA. Mike left the boat at 3D Boatyard on Stock Island November 21, 2005 to be repaired by George Webb. George Webb signed a contract and accepted $6,000 in payment to re-rig the mizzan, rebuild the transmission, repair the roller furling, and repair the Samson Post. Mike left KW November 22nd and died in La Cieba Decemer 4th. George Webb finished nothing. He damaged the bilge pumps removing or installing the transmission, replaced a Cutlass bearing that did not leak with one that does (declared himself "done" and walked off the boat while it was taking on water, would not start and no bilge pumps working) He did not know how to wire the neutral switch on the transmission so the engine would not start. I re-mounted the radar antenna on the mizzen and replaced the rotten haliaryd that he put up with it. I replaced the Samson post and had R & R Diesel Repair come re-wire the starting circuet of the engine. I billed Mr. Webb $2400 for his work that I did for him. If anyone would like to help me collect please feel free to use whatever means you like. Above all, do not ever give a man named George Webb a dime.

Old 03-14-2006, 05:01 PM   #2
rod hodgson

Good to see sailors over the other side of the world look after each other too!

Regards from the Land of Oz.

Rod
Old 03-15-2006, 01:01 AM   #3
Ensign

This is Deja Vu - I was warned about this crowd last time I was in KW - lucky I had friends in KW who knew the situation - all came about from the local live-aboards and sundowners...

Hope u fry the a.hole...