Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-29-2010, 01:36 AM   #1
Ensign

A hypothetical question for the worldly sailor: if identical boats were sold in the Mediterranean, the east and west coasts of the US, Australia and Thailand, how would you order the locations, from cheapest to the most expensive?

Let's imagine that the yacht in question is a 10 year old 40’ cruiser of a well known brand..

Cheers, Mike

Old 11-29-2010, 02:32 AM   #2
Admiral

Hello Mike,

Noted that you are in Australia.

Whatever, taking a quick look at the site that has the majority of Brokered boats in the category " 10 year old 40’ cruiser of a well known brand.." I searched 40ft Beneteau 1999 <> 2000 - in US dollars.

41ft US East Coast 139k

41ft US west Coast 144k

41ft Med ... 120 <> 132K

41ft Hong Kong 112k

----

40ft US all 128K

40ft Med ...124K

Of course these prices are asking prices - maybe a lot different to what has actually been paid. Some places require sales or value added taxes. Thailand and Langkawi, Malaysia have no import duty on sailing boats, boats there will sell for similar prices to those in the West - however, if importing to Australia, cheaper to buy in S.E. Asia.

Mike what prices in the Australian market?

Old 11-29-2010, 03:47 AM   #3
Ensign

Some good points.

However, since this is hypothetical, I'd like to suggest that we consider what is really a "popular cruising boat"? If we go by the most popular boats sold as "world class" cruising boats then one might wonder, why are they are up for sail and where are we finding them for sale. If you find a large number of one particular design in the US coastal marinas, then maybe they are "over sold" as "world class cruising boats". Maybe highly promoted without regards to actual cruising accomplishments.

On the other hand, if we look in the (real) serious cruising publications, we will find few bargains in cruising ports, maybe 30 days from theirl ports of departure. Why are they for sale? And why, only 30 days out. Places like Hawaii or Cabo or similar Atlantic ports of call. Is it the boat or is it the skipper that "called it quits" ??

Most everyone who has the dream of serious world cruising should be serious enough to study his boat needs and not be swept along with the other boat shoppers who haven't "a clue" about what makes a good cruising boat.

In my simplest conclusion, take "Popular" out of the equation. Go walk the docks, discuss your dreams with those who have actual shoved off and eventually returned with the knowledge and appreciation of what type of boat you should be looking for. Then substitute "Successful" in the equation.

Good luck. And BTW, don't wait too long, like I have. I searched for 30 years for the right boat, ended up building an Ingrid 38, but now I'm 73 and realizing I may never do any thing 'off shore'. Content with coastal cruising in a Blue Water cruiser.

Steve
Old 11-29-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
Admiral

Steve, you beat me to it. Excellent advice. My suggestion over the years has been to go looking for the "broken dreams" boats in various ports. Such as Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas USVI. or anyplace in Florida. Mexico. Tahiti. Marigot, St. Martin.

Just be careful that what you buy is a broken dream boat, not a hurricane disaster boat.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
Rear Admiral

Home Port: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Coyote

In theory, the difference in price should be just about the cost of delivery from one location to another, plus maybe taxes and other costs. In practice, I have made back-of-the-envelope calculations that suggest this is close enough to true as to not make any difference.

If this were not true, you could start a business buying in one location and selling in the other. When you look at it, you would find yourself making somewhere around seven cents an hour.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:55 AM   #6

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote View Post

In theory, the difference in price should be just about the cost of delivery from one location to another, plus maybe taxes and other costs. In practice, I have made back-of-the-envelope calculations that suggest this is close enough to true as to not make any difference.

If this were not true, you could start a business buying in one location and selling in the other. When you look at it, you would find yourself making somewhere around seven cents an hour.
Ah, arbitrage...only works for early players and then the gaps fill pretty fast--and yes, you'd be at the seven cent an hour rate

When cruisers Miles and Beryl Smeeton purchased their first cruising boat, Tzu Hang, in England in 1951 their plan was to "flip" the boat for a profit upon their return to North America (Canada) but instead they fell in love with cruising and continued sailing for a couple decades, writing nine books about their adventures.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote View Post

Through the summer there was a flow of people buying distress sales in Florida and then taking them to Australia. The strong Australian dollar made it an attractive deal for them. One couple was making their second trip. Some guy with a high end cat,bought at the right price, figured he could make $80K.

Too much like poker to me.