Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #41
Lieutenant

Hi Joe! Next week , on thursday , I will be in Jonkoping. May be I can meet you , if you have free time. Florin.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #42
Lieutenant

Home Port: Stockholm

Hello Florin, unless an unforeseen duty calls next thursday 8 august looks good. How long do you plan on being in Jönköping? Let me know where you will be staying and how I may reach you so we can arrange a place and time to meet//Joe

Old 07-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #43
Lieutenant

Hello Joe! Bad news for me , the transport for my boat is been canceled ! So I will be there end of august , or beginning of september. I am so sad! Anyway I will let you now. Thanks for your answer! Florin.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:00 PM   #44
Lieutenant

Oh, well end of august - september. NB! There is a couple in our club that sailed from Sweden to the Black Sea on rivers and thru canals... fantastic voyage. I think it took a month or two (?) on the return trip they used a truck for a short distance too.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #45
Lieutenant

Hi Joe! It is indeed a great voyage , but I will need two more people with me , one with skipper certificate , about 70 lockers , two months for sure ( to visit some places) , and a lot of money.......I do not have time , or money for that , but I was dreaming about this adventure many nights!!!!!
Old 08-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #46
Lieutenant

I have the skipper certificate and time but not a lot of money... it would have to be a strictly rice and fish budget Here's a pic of a 8m Laurin sailboat (same type as a 7.6m Storfidra) being transported on an old flatbed truck. You may buy a truck here Blocket.se - Sveriges största Köp & Sälj marknad (or wherever) and either pay a driver or drive your boat home yourself. Trucks probably cost less to buy elsewhere, e.g. in Rumania, but then it costs time and money to drive it here.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:02 AM   #47
Lieutenant

BTW Florin,TUATUA is the boat that Göran Cederström used as the first swedish sailor to sail solo around the world. What is the name of your Storfidra (?) and what is the name of the person you bought her from? Is the previous owner in Jonkoping, or where? Reason I ask is I would like to learn her history. I can with your permission go and check on her for you as I will be down in Jonkoping definitely in a week or two//Joe
Old 08-02-2013, 12:26 AM   #48
Lieutenant

Hi Joe , and thanks for your answer! Of course I now TUATUA , I was riding about Goran and his voyage. My boat name is Pelikanen ( if I am corect) , it is from 1969 , Storfidra nr. 7 . The previous owner is Bert Norlin , he lives in Habo , Jonkoping. Bert and the family are extraordinary people! They treat me last summer ( when I bought the boat) very , very good. Bert now are looking after my boat , he was all winter check the situation , charging the battery etc. He bought the boat from a danish man , thats all I now.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:50 AM   #49
Lieutenant

Joe , what is the name of your boat? Do you have any pictures?
Old 08-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #50
Lieutenant

"Taifun II" is the name of my Storfidra. When she's all fixed up might rename her " A Hail Mary ". Had pics on my old phone. None on my new one. Yet, I just towed a boat into harbour. They took pics and promised to send on my phone so I'll post some soonest. She's white topside and freeboard, light blue deck, red bottom paint. Got her 2010 from Rolf Pantesjö in Hjo on lake Värten opposite Jonkoping. There was a one other previous owner from Linköping before Rolf but I haven't been able to get a hold of him... he bought her from Fisksätra yard 1978 so she's double sandwhiched deck and bulkhead mast support which was one of the reasons I settled on her. Although the cabin carpentry is *not* pratical as other Storfidra's I've seen. Thus my great interest in learning from other Storfidra's e.g. today I got a windlass and 80 meters of chain and contemplating where best to install it. Has your boat a windlass? Water tank installed? I wonder can you lift up the back part of your bunks so you can have an extra top bunk? This great original feature may also be used as a wide handy navi table Where and how are your anchors stowed? Can you hand pump the bilge from the cockpit? WC? God, I can go on and on Gotta stop more later Zzz *poof*
Old 08-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #51
Lieutenant

I do not have a windlass , but I have water tank installed. I have just on anchor , and just a few meters of chain , because the boat ( I think) was used the last years only on the lake Vattern. Also there is not WC , the ex owner ( the danish one) put instead a cooker! So I have to rebuild the toilet again , some modifications inside , change the windows , and the mast support .
Old 08-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #52
Lieutenant

And maybe much more ......! But when you love what you do , it will be a pleasure. My mast is 11 meters , how many meters is yours? Because I have seen a few Storfidras , with a shorter mast. I want to keep the original mast. And to built a windpilot , to buy a new one , cost a lot of money.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #53
Lieutenant

For me a small mechanical windlass is useful. 10m anchorchain is ok. 80m is standard for cruising reference fellow members of the swedish ocean sailing club ( osk.org ) Re your watertank is it stainless steel? Baffeled? Dimensions? Liters? Where is it placed? WC is luxury. A buckets simplest. Yes, changing renforcing original windows is prudent for cruising ( its on my list too ) mast support is very important. Is your deck sandwhiched fiberglassed ie double layered? My mast is a Seldon aluminium 9m I mounted on a 3 colored led top lantern, vhf antenn and windex motor light is also led. Re 11m are you including in your calculation the distance between water line upto the mastdeck? I just come under a 11m high bridge. Re windpilot, or windrudder,windvane here's a howto yrself link: Untitled Document When are you coming? //Joe
Old 08-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #54
Lieutenant

Joe , last summer when I bought the boat , I had only few days to check the boat , so to be honest I did not measured the mast. The ex owner told me it is 11 meters , thats exact what I found in a Storfidra ,Maringuiden.se. So colud be from the water line. I do not now about the deck if is double layered , but the problem concern me was the flexibility of the deck. How about your deck? My water tank is steel (not sure if stainless steel) , position between the berths , under the bottom , I think is about 60 liters . The transport will be ( I guess) beginning of september , so I think and of august I will be there.Florin.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #55
Lieutenant

My Storfidras' deck is solid under foot. On another Storfidra I found the deck "bouncy" underfoot and was told the reason for that was the first produced Storfidras fiberglass decks were not "sandwhiched" (dble layered). Well you'll be able to measure everything when you collect her. Re the position of your watertank "between the berths under the bottom" is that in the forekpeak or lounge? if in the lounge then your watertank must be aft of your battery(s) or? I ask because I do not have a watertank and therefore curious to learn how others have their watertanks. I am really curious to see your boat. Re you coming end of Aug. I am supposed to go to Germany on the 1st of Sept. for 4 days, so meeting you is going to be "tight", yet still workable I hope//Joe
Old 08-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #56
Lieutenant

Yes you right , my water tank is in the lounge after the battery . I think I will come with a friend of mine with his car , so we will cross Germany twice.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #57
Lieutenant

How many batteries do you have?
Old 08-06-2013, 01:02 AM   #58
Lieutenant

I have two batteries .
Old 08-06-2013, 11:29 PM   #59
Lieutenant

one battery for start motor and one for everything else I guess ... same here. Reason I ask is cause I wonder how you've managed to fit a sixty liter water tank aft of two batteries ( does it stretch all the way back to the forepeak? ) also how are the hoses ( in / out ) run from the tank? Can you give me now a specific fixed date of arrival in Jonkoping?//Joe
Old 08-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #60
Lieutenant

Oh, how are your batteries connected ... in parallel, or serie?