Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-07-2013, 06:23 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Storfidra 25 Information ?

April 7, 2013

I'm writing in hopes to be able to find another Storfidra 25
owner who would like to share stories ~ information on their
boat.

I've owned my Storfidra going on 4 years. I replaced the old
worn motor with a inboard electric motor ~ 24 volt ~ which I've logged over 100 hours. I sail in Northern California ~ The
boat was bought new in Sweden and shipped over in 1972, by
Captain Lee. Captain Lee sold the boat in 1984 to Bob who in turned sold it to me here In Northern Ca.

I've added book shelves to the bulk heads, installed a new
2 burner / oven propane stove. If anybody would like to share their story on a Storfidra please write...

Clay

Old 04-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
Rear Admiral

Home Port: Hamburg
Vessel Name: Aquaria

Hi Clay
welcome aboard CRUISER LOG.
The Storfidra truely is a seaworthy little double ender and obviously they are all over the place - even at the coast of Nortern California!
And especially great is the fact that you equipped your Storfidra with an electric engine! This is my big topic - I equipped my boat with an el. engine in 2008. My boat is not a Storfidra but there was one in my family from 1977 to 2005 - so I know her quite well, learnd coastal- and offshore sailing on the rough North Sea and the Baltic Sea all over Denmark and Sweden and restored her before she was sold in 2005 to a Swede.

Our Storfidra was also built in 1972, she was the boat the Fisksätra-Yard exhibited on the Friedrichshafen-boat show at Lake Constance in Southern Germany. Until 1974 she sailed on this fresh water lake at the feet of the Alps before she was shipped by rail to the german coast line of the Baltic Sea close to Kiel, where my family bought her in 1977.

After about 25 years the old VOLVO MD2A (one cylinder) needed to be exchanged by a 2 cyl PERKINS diesel. And a TAYLOR diesel oven was installed - a good thing to have up here where the beginning and end of the sailing season can be quite chilly. Otherwise we left her quite original.

There is so much more to tell about her but maybe you have some specific questions. And maybe you already found these threads here in the Cruiser Log forum...

http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f26...idra-3826.html

http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f26/nausikaa-1163.html

Cheers
Uwe
SY AQUARIA

More on my Centurion 32:
https://www.cabinetdeparodontologie.n...ria/index.html
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Germany, Background, Cruising/Sailing the German Bight
Aquaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
Ensign

Default Storfidra 25

Thank You for writing back and sharing your stories with the Storfidra.
It sounds like you and your family really enjoyed your boat.
do you have many pictures to share of your Storfidra ?

I'll post the pictures I have of my boat soon ~ the new electric engine,
new book shelves on the bulk heads, ,,,,

I'm gald that people and friends are still sailing these fantastic boats.

Clay
Old 04-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
Rear Admiral

... sooo much work, sooo little time,
but I did not forget about the pics!
Hereare some pics of the outside after restauration.
No modern fancy gear. Solid cruising sails, nothing like a bimini top, but an old fashioned cotton sunshade.
In harbours and marinas with all these new 38ft and bigger modern sailboats it stuck out of the mass.

Uwe
SY Aquaria
Attached Thumbnails
181-8111_IMG.jpg   181-8101_IMG.jpg   181-8135_IMG.jpg   181-8171_IMG.jpg   181-8179_IMG.jpg  

More on my Centurion 32:
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Germany, Background, Cruising/Sailing the German Bight
Old 04-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
Rear Admiral

... and some more pics with some details:

Uwe
SY Aquaria
Attached Thumbnails
183-8383_IMG.jpg   184-8403_IMG.jpg   184-8406_IMG.jpg   184-8409_IMG.jpg   184-8453_IMG.jpg  

More on my Centurion 32:
Old 04-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
Ensign

Awesome Uwe

Thank You for sharing your wonderful pictures of your Storfidra.
Our little Stordira's can take you and I anywhere we would like to
go through out the world. I'm getting my Storfidra ready to Sail
around "Cape Horn". That's not a miss print ~ "Cape Horn"
That will be a roller coaster :-)

I'll write again Soon ~ Take Care
Old 06-29-2013, 12:39 AM   #7
Lieutenant

Home Port: Stockholm

Hi Uwe, thanks for your good reply w/pics to Clay. Am fixing up a storfidra thus would like to visit if possible the Nausikaa is she in Sweden now, or? Yours sincerely, Joe Hill IV
Old 06-29-2013, 01:01 AM   #8
Lieutenant

Hi Clay, thanks for your post. Always happy to meet Storfidra sailors. I'm fixing up a Storfidra 78 ... interior was built by the original owner so its not how the yard in fisksätra did it. Thus, want to see how your fidra looks inside and out ( pls post yr pics ) Also, tell us more details about the electric engine you installed (?) ours is the original Volo Penta MD1 //Joe Hill IV
Old 06-29-2013, 05:06 AM   #9
Ensign

Default Storfidra ~ Interior ~

Hi Joe

It was good hearing from another Storfidra Owner ~
~ Great Little Crusiers ~

I hope I attached one of my interior shots of my Storfidra ~ I've
been working on my boat going on 4 years now ~ in between sailing
in San Francisco Bay and up the Petaluma RIver in Northern California.
The picture are book shelves I built onto the bulkheads looking into
the vee berth. If you look closely in the vee berth you'll also see a wooden mermaid installed in front of the water tank...
I'll attach some more pictures of the electric motor soon.

Clay
Attached Thumbnails
0912115635.jpg  
Old 06-29-2013, 10:40 PM   #10
Lieutenant

Hello Clay, thankyou for the nice pic of your *good* handywork... shelves look great and mermaid too. Is yr water tank steel or plastic? Saw a big oar is it so you can row yr boat as well and if so where are oarlocks located?

Bought our Storfidra a fixer-upper (pic soon) on lake Vättern in Sweden 2010 am sailing in Stockholms archipelago and on lake Mälaren to learn it and what needs improvement thus great interest in Storfidra interiors//Joe
Old 06-30-2013, 06:16 AM   #11
Lieutenant

Hi Clay! Very nice interior! You make me think....
Old 06-30-2013, 06:27 AM   #12
Lieutenant

Hi Joe! Your Storffidra is on the lake Vattern? I am asking that , because I have my boat on Vattern , Jonkoping( Domsand). I will be there end of july beginning of august.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #13
Lieutenant

Default Hope to see you in Domsand :)

Hej Nicanor, our Storfidra is *now on lake Mälaren*. Sorry I wrote: "Bought our Storfidra a fixer-upper (pic soon) on lake Vättern in Sweden 2010".

Thereafter, we sailed her via Götakanal upto Stockholms skärgård. Now after several years of learning whats' needed am making improvements.

Apparently first owner bought a shell of the boat then hastily furnished her with whatever was at hand type ... definitely not for serious cruising

I could be in Jönköping end of July - August and would very much like to meet and see your boat. I know of Domsand in Bankeryd. Do you have a Storfidra too? If, so please, post interior pics. Yours sincerely, Joe
Old 07-01-2013, 04:28 AM   #14
Lieutenant

Hi Joe! And thank you for your answer! Yes I have a Storfidra , and I guess you cold see few pictures in another thread. You are right , inside of the boat is much more the original interior. Except that there is no toilet ( but I want to build one) and the engine is change with a volvo penta , much powerful then the original one. I will try to come this summer and take my boat home , so still looking for a transport. Looking forward to meet you and learn more about Storfidra! Best regards! Florin.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #15
Lieutenant

Hi Florin, what is the name of the other thread where you have more pics? Temporarily I have a "dry" chemical toilet (for the ladies) I use the "bucket-and-chuck-it" method myself.

NB! A "water" toilet is low on my wish list presently, e.g. wind rudder, heating system, dingy and AIS among others are more highly listed

Our's has a volvo penta md1(10 hp diesel 1 cylinder) could be original but not sure as I know only one of two prior owners the man we got her from said the vp motor came with her. Good motors, yet...

I am very interested in electric motors too. Waiting to learn more about electric motors from Clay and Uwe. What do you think about el-mtrs?

Just told a good friend of mine in Jönköping about you she's going to bicycle over to your boat today and take some pics. Since you posted concern with yr mast deck foot. Ours is odd in that we can't bolt it on.

Uwe's advised contracting a professional boat transporter and I agree. Have you tried googling swedish overland boat transporters and asking for a specified offer?

We look forward to meeting you and seeing your boat and learning more about storfidras too. Stay well//Joe
Old 07-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #16
Lieutenant

Hello Joe! There is only two threads on this forum , about this kind of boat. You post in both of them , so I think you could see the pictures. If not , just please check on facebook my profile , and you will have all the pictures I got. My facebook name is my name: Stoica Florin Nicanor. Sorry about the mess inside , but last summer was raining every two hours ! Nice august in Sweden ! I have no sailing experience , but that was and is still my dream : sail around the world. I was just very happy to here something ( anything) about Storfidras owners, that can help me. That was the reason to bring my boat over land back to my country, Romania.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #17
Lieutenant

My engine , it is also a volvo penta , with 22 horse power. And my boat was moved ( the marina told my that) few weeks ago , during some grand operations. A professional transport , will cost me a lot of money , so I am looking for a regular truck , if it is possible. I am looking forward to see you!
Old 07-02-2013, 03:50 AM   #18
Lieutenant

To be honest , I was never thinking about an electric motor. But it is a great idea! May be Clay or Uwe tell us more about that.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:14 AM   #19
Lieutenant

Ahoy, there Clay and Uwe please tell us more about your electric motors... pics much appreciated too //Joe
Old 07-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #20
Rear Admiral

I sold my Storfidra NAUSIKAA to a Swede in 2005, who sailed her in Denmark quite some time but unfortunaltely I lost contact to him and the boat. (NAUSIKAA was quite active here in the Cruiser log too but I have not heard from him for a very long time...)
@ Clay: Wonderful interior! It really makes sence to position the book shelfs right to the main bulkhead. Great idea.
On our Storfidra we had a stainless steel box placed in the forpeak to hold the anchor chain. It was open on the top and the chain fell nicely into the box. The only problem after anchoring was that the wet chain spread its murky odor in the front cabin because the ventilation of the the chain box was rather poor. Our ancor grounds in the Baltic Sea were mostly muddy grounds.
And I am really highly interested in your elecric engine! Looking foreward for the pics.
@ Joe: Yes the VOLVO MD1 was the original engine. One cylinder, interesting sound, able to start it by hand with a crank! My father wanted a stronger engine and therefor replaced her by a PERKINS two cylinder.

Uwe
SY AQUARIA

More on my Centurion 32: