Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-11-2008, 02:16 PM   #1
Ensign

A quick Hello from Greece.

I am Byron (a.k.a. Beracuda), younger brother of Istioploos. Like my brother, we grew-up in a family of boat lovers, (legend has it that our Great Grand Father's family from our mother's side, were involved in the pirating business during the 17th - 18th centuries, active in the Mediterranean Sea), with both our parents originating from the island of Samos. As youngsters we spent our early and teen years by the sea, in a suburb of Athens named Voula. There our dad, Emmanuel along with a bunch of friends who all owned small boats and liked to go fishing, set up the Nautical Club of Voula (then NEB now NAO in the early fifties. In the ensuing years, NEB became the focus of our activities including sea sports, social life etc.

Professionaly, I own an IT company in Greece named Datalex.

Like father like son, I am now involved in setting-up the Nautical Athletic Club of Kea - NAOK (unfortunately the site is currently only in Greek language, but there are some nice photographs there too). The island of Kea is our second home, where we spend many happy days of the year. It is also where my boat's anchorage is (in Koundouros Bay). Currently (primarily beacuse of the island home), I own a 28' RIB named after my wife, "HBH III", which is also used to commute fast from the island to the port of Lavrion on the mainland Athens metropolitan area. In previous years we owned "S/Y SUNNY" a beautiful Italian built 50 footer ketch (Cantieri Costaguta) with which we sailed for some years in the Greek seas.

Among my many sea related interests is the exciting area of shipwreck diving. Currently together with a team of stricktly amater divers, we are organising an expedition named "Kea Dive Expedition-K.D.E." with the title "The Unknown Shipwreck of Kea". Do visit the site (also in English) and enjoy the preparatory research that we have done so far. As the diivng operations will commence from the 21st to the 30th of September 2008, a lot more daily reporting will be posted on the progress and the challenges of the K.D.E. I am sure that sea lovers from all over the world will enjoy it.

My current sailing activity is purely for fun with the exciting Tasar which is a 4.5 m high performance sailing dinghy, designed to be sailed and raced by a man and a woman (Alas! I have not found such one as yet...). A light weight, low drag, planing hull, a rotating mast, and a jib and fully battened mainsail with efficient sail controls provide exhilarating sailing without the need for spinnaker or trapeze. I am grateful to my brother who gave me this little fun craft as a gift some years ago!

Finally, I wish to congatulate Bob and the team for the lovely work done in this Forum and the Cruiserlog Wiki to which I will be contributing and spreading the word about them both within the Greek sailing community and friends.

Will be with u guys & gals as often as I can!

All the best,

Byron

"Wind and Water are resources of mankind. Mankind's duty is to preserve them for the future generations" Jacques-Yves Cousteau, became member of the French Academy in 1988 with this remark in his acceptance speech.
beracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

A hearty welcome aboard to you Byron - good to have you here amongst this friendly crew.

Thank you for the great introduction - we feel we know you already. Yes, we will visit the links you have provided.

Make yourself at home - grab a glass, the wine is on the house today.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
Admiral

HBH III - Her Beautiful Highness?

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
Ensign

congratulations beracuda, a good presentation and a beautiful history . this summer hollidays we were in athenas, there, at the port of pyreo, we took the boat to do the cruise named "greek island and istambul" , it was great and fun , seven unforgettable days. greetings from cartagena.

a quienes los de Cartago dieron nombre,

cerrado a todos vientos y encubierto,

a cuyo claro y singular renombre,

se postran cuantos puertos el mar baña,

descubre el sol y navega el hombre.

CARTAGENA -Miguel de Cervantes-
spray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 04:33 AM   #5
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

Welcome my brother to this wonderful resource for all cruisers and boat lovers all over the world.

We welcome all the help we can can get in bringing our wiki up to date. Thank you for the additions you did in Kea, please do look over other islands that you have visited recently, such os Kythnos, Milos, etc.

Aboard S/Y Thetis anchored in Vitsilia, Fournoi .

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:33 AM   #6

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Welcome! We look forward to your posts and contributions

AEOLUS is very, very lovely! How long is that bowsprit? It seems to be really "out there"

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:48 AM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
Welcome! We look forward to your posts and contributions

AEOLUS is very, very lovely! How long is that bowsprit? It seems to be really "out there"
Thanks Redpopeep for your kind words and your interest on me and AEOLUS posted here . The length of the bowsprit is about 3 meters. In the pic it may appear a bit longer. At any rate agree w. u, it is lovely

I also wish to thank ALL 'cruisers' who have positively commented so far on this topic; whoever comes to Greece, would be most welcomed to contact me in advance for a chat or meeting.

Regarding the Wiki, for sure we will do whatever is feasible for enriching the content and spreading the word for users and new contributors alike
"Wind and Water are resources of mankind. Mankind's duty is to preserve them for the future generations" Jacques-Yves Cousteau, became member of the French Academy in 1988 with this remark in his acceptance speech.
beracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:00 AM   #8

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by beracuda View Post
Thanks Redpopeep for your kind words and your interest on me and AEOLUS posted here .
So, you must tell us all about AEOLUS as things come along! Today, I am sealing the wood of our bowsprit (10' over the water, 16' total length) and contemplating the color I will paint it. I believe it will be one called "honeycomb" which is rather woody looking. It has several small non-matching wood patches and discolorations and has always been painted--thus it won't be finished "bright" like yours.

Fair winds

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
greece