Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-31-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
Ensign

Hi Everyone, I just discovered this site. Where have I been?

We are a retired (my hubby) and close to retirement (me, 3 yrs) couple. We have 7 grown children. When I met my husband, he was a commercial fisherman in Alaska, and we lived aboard the fishing boat -- complete with kids. We have done many things, including having an oyster farm in Alaska, living at a salmon hatchery, etc, but we have lived on land for the last 15 years. Currently, we are in WA.

I (the wife) got to missing living aboard. After much discussion, and some jolting life experiences, like the loss of our grandson last may, and the loss of a best friend a week later, we decided to go for it. We had already been boat hunting for over a year, but those things catalyzed our procrastination.

So, we now have our boat, a 56 ft. Roberts steel ketch, and we have a plan. Hubby just finished installing a Webasto hydronic heating system, I landed a half time job doing home health nursing out of Craig, Alaska on Prince of Wales Island, and we are in the thick of sorting and packing -- well, that is me. Don is working on the boat. We have a lot to do!

I am planning to work until I am 62 and then decide if I want to keep working or retire and go cruising. Before this job came up, I wanted to go cruising now, but it actually sounds like fun to do nursing out and about in the Alaska boonies. So, we will see about that.

Good to meet you all.

Sue

Old 10-31-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard Sue and Don - great to have you here in this friendly, very international community.

Thanks for the wonderful intro as it feels like we know you both already. Please make yourselves at home and join in on the discussions as we can learn lots from you both. Also, do let us know how you're getting on with your nice steel Roberts.

Pull up a chair and relax - the drinks are on "JeanneP" for the whole week.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
Commander

Home Port: Edinburgh
Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

Yes,

Welcome and best wishes. Jeanne gets the drinks this week and there is a batch of Christmas Spiced Stout aging under the sink with us and a slightly spiced Whit beer in the fermenter as we speak so I will be able to cover in about four weeks time and than for a bit.

Fair Winds,

Michael
Old 11-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
Admiral

Welcome! Join me.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote