Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-31-2007, 06:18 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Hi, everyone.

Just registered for the forum after looking around a bit. I'm impressed with the international character of the membership, and the depth of sailing knowledge represented here. I hope to learn a lot, and perhaps contribute a bit.

Here's a little background info:

My wife, Lynne, and I have been retired since 2001. Having sailed small boats and charter yachts for many years, we decided we wanted to do some cruising, so we bought our Island Packet 380, The Belle of Virginia, in 2002. We did a lot of cruising around the Chesapeake Bay from our home on the Bay in Virginia. We sailed her to Bermuda in '03, and then to the Caribbean and back to the Chesapeake via the Abacos in '04-'05. (You can read about our first six months cruise in the islands here, if you care to: The Belle of Virginia in the Caribbean 2004-2005.)

We sailed her back to the Lesser Antilles in '05, and decided that we liked it so much that we'd stay. Having visited all the islands but four, we had decided that Nevis was a really special place, so we sold our home in Virginia and bought a place here. We've lived on Nevis since August, '06. There's nothing like sailing in the Tradewinds!

Our best to all,

Old 12-31-2007, 06:26 PM   #2
Admiral

Welcome and happy new year to you.

It is good to have you with us, especially on New Years eve.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:35 PM   #3
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

@Hud3

And a hearty welcome aboard from me too. It is really good to have someone with your experience of the Caribbean with us.

Have a wonderful 2008 on Nevis.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
Admiral

Welcome! Nevis is one of our favorite islands in the Caribbean. So calm and lovely, and only a day sail away from duty-free St. Maarten!

Jeanne
Old 12-31-2007, 08:03 PM   #5
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

@Hud3

Loved your blog - FANTASTIC photos! Thanks for sharing.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 11:47 AM   #6
Lieutenant

Nausikaa, Lighthouse, and JeanneP,

Thanks very much for your kind welcomes. JeanneP, you're right--I need to hop up to St. Maarten to get The Belle a chandlery "fix" soon! Are you in the Caribbean now?

Happy sailing in the New Year,
Old 01-01-2008, 12:36 PM   #7
Admiral

I wish I were in the Caribbean, but no, we're in the US having gone over to the "dark side" of a power catamaran. We're winding up holidays in NJ and heading for FL where the boat is in a week or so. We might fly down to the Caribbean some time this winter - I'd love to be there for the Heineken Regatta - fun time.

Budget Marine is a great resource for yachts in the Carib. The plaint of the "getting-old" bunch: "I remember when" Budget Marine's office and store was a ship container parked in a lot in Philipsburg. Robbie Ferron has been a loyal sponsor and organizer of the regatta for what seems like forever.

I wonder - do they still have the St. Maarten to Nevis race in June? It used to be called The Hawaiian Tropic Offshore Regatta. That was another fun time.

Fair winds,

Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:21 PM   #8
Lieutenant

Hi, Jeanne.

Yes, they still do the St Maarten to Nevis race, although Hawaiian Tropic no longer sponsers it. I was asked to provide The Belle as a committee boat for the finish line at Oaulie Bay last June, but wasn't able to do it for some reason--can't remember. Would have been fun, I'm sure. Those St Maarten sailors know how to party!

Regarding going over to the "Dark Side", I guess most of we aging sailors will feel the lure of the trawler at some point. At least it's not a Sea Ray.

If you come back to the Caribbean, come on down to Nevis for a Killer Bee at Sunshine's.

Tags
caribbean