Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Repairs & Maintenance
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-05-2010, 03:19 PM   #21
Commander

Home Port: St. Augustine FL
Vessel Name: Linnupesa

You da man, ...man

In some parts of the boonies you will be thankful for a tank full, regardless of

quality. Those are the places and times my concerns are mainly directed to.

As to scotch, you perhaps cannot drown all your troubles but sure as heck

you can make 'em swim for it!

Ivo

Old 09-06-2010, 05:25 PM   #22
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnupesa View Post

You da man, ...man

In some parts of the boonies you will be thankful for a tank full, regardless of

quality. Those are the places and times my concerns are mainly directed to.

As to scotch, you perhaps cannot drown all your troubles but sure as heck

you can make 'em swim for it!

Ivo
Bravo!!! Bravo!!!!

Old 02-24-2014, 02:12 AM   #23
Ensign

Home Port: marina del rey
Default Fouled diesel fuel and dirty (sludge) tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP View Post
Yeah, I think we've all gotten distracted by the "Algae-X" - BP says bacteria and fungus are the problems, no mention of algae.

As far as shelf life, just because crude oil is millions of years old doesn't mean that the refined products from that will survive in its refined form for long periods of time. For that matter, all oil pulled from the ground is not equal. One doesn't wisely burn lubricating oil in place of diesel, for example.

Regardless, it's pretty clear that degradation of diesel is a significant problem considering the many systems on the market for filtering and cleaning the fuel. And in my experience, most sailboat owners report at least one instance of engines failing due to contaminated fuel. And I will bet that 90% of first-time owners of used boats find, within a year of buying the boat, that their engine fails from bad fuel. Because it had been sitting so long in the tank before the boat was bought, and the new owner wasn't aware of the potential problems.

Ironically, we've had several (at least 5) instances of engine problems due to foul diesel, yet I still forget to warn new owners of this very common problem. Why I seem to have this blind spot I can't explain, so I hope this serves as a reminder to me, and to all others who read this thread.

Doh!

Hello fellow sailors

You are so right!

Within 1 year of my purchasing my Cal Cruising 46, I was enroute to the beautiful Catalina Island in Southern California when my engine suddenly died
While underway

After vessel assist towed me back to my home port in Marina del Rey
My tanks ( both tanks 180 gal each) needed to be cut open and scrubbed to remove the sludge grime and tarry build up at the bottom

That was 5 - 6 years ago

Now I just wonder when I should perform another major surgery to take an exploratory look at the tanks to make sure they are clean
Old 02-24-2014, 04:31 AM   #24
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I run three progressively finer Racors. I know people who have spent a literal fortune on fuel polishing and exchange pumps and so forth. Is it overkill, or is it prudent to install a 'polishing' system. I understand also that one can hire a mobile fuel cleaning service. But, again, is it necessary more than just desirable?

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:17 PM   #25

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
I run three progressively finer Racors. I know people who have spent a literal fortune on fuel polishing and exchange pumps and so forth. Is it overkill, or is it prudent to install a 'polishing' system. I understand also that one can hire a mobile fuel cleaning service. But, again, is it necessary more than just desirable?
I don't get the fortune part--because you can plumb a polishing system in cheaply if you're willing for it to take awhile by using a low volume 12V pump from the autoparts store. We have one of those RCI spinner type systems that does all the work of spinning out heavy stuff and water (drain it from the bottom of the RCI). Then a Racor. Then the on-engine filter (that we've never changed...hum...might want to get another one... That's it. Works a charm--but I must admit, our tanks are new and they are built in a way that the pick up is right at a bottom corner so we shouldn't have loads of nasty stuff build up unless we're just never using the engines or polishing the fuel.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote