Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist
Default Atavist' update

Hello all,
Been sometime since I was on... been a busy couple of years since I sold Enchiridion.. unfortunately haven't gotten on the water much.

short version is:
Bought some land from my parents.
Built a completely off-grid cabin in the woods.
Had a son in january (Finneas Patrick, aka Finn)
and am about to start building a Paul Fisher custom cruiser.
I'll attach a picture of the lines plan.

we hope to be back on the water in less than two years... now that our offgrid homebase is established

How is everyone here doing?
Attached Thumbnails
20130520_164200.jpg  

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Welcome back! A son, wow! You'll have to post pics
We'll really look forward to hearing about your progress with the build. I see the chines--assume it is steel? Tell us all about it!

Fair winds,
Brenda and David

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:32 AM   #3
Admiral

Hi Brenda,
Long time no talky... which is mostly my fault for disapearing into the woods
Though I do love the woods.

I'm attaching a pic of Finn and mommy... a couple months old but a good one... he's growing like a weed. At 4 months he's 16.1lbs and 25.75 inches :0
doc asked if we are giving him butter milk

The boat is actually going to be wood. Fisher does mostly ply on frame and is in my humble opinion the best diy plans designers in the UK .... no US designer I could find likes bilge keeled boats as long range cruisers...
Saying that however I will also admit I'm a big George Buehler fan and vice the simpler ply on frame Fisher style boat we intend to build this in a very Buehler manner. All white oak structural members, with cross-planked oak below the waterline, then sheathed in ply and glass and clinker ply above the waterline... The keel will be a steel box keel filled with iron and concrete and the fin keels will be heavy mild steel.... she will be quite a bit heavier than her design specs her to be but speed is not what's important to us... we want sea kindliness and the ability to get into places other sailors can't... which is why the masts will be spruce box masts socket-ed into steel tabernacles.
her engine will be a 12hp Klaxon diesel outboard in a well, on slides to lift her out of the water, so no prop for drag and fouling... enough for comfortable docking but no risk of motor sailing or engine dependence... and we intend to go pretty primitive... no AC power, DC running lights and lamps and manual water only.... if I've made one mistake in the past it was making things over complicated with technology.

So where are you guys now?

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
Old 06-01-2013, 04:21 AM   #4
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Sounds like a timely project given that being ashore with a newborn is a good idea. Keep us abreast of the progress.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
Admiral

Just bought the Allied Mistress

She's the perfect gypsy boat... looking at a launch time of late September, then headed south

Old 06-21-2013, 12:16 AM   #6

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Congrats on the new boat! We'll all look forward to pics and stories of your projects and passages!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:41 AM   #7
Admiral

Yeah, as with any new old boat there are quite a few projects to do before launch... fortunately nothing serious.

Didn't get any good pics while doing the inspection... she is on the hard at the moment and pretty crowded so no good perspective... we'll get some pics of the launch and probably a couple of projects while prepping her.