Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-25-2005, 12:30 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Send a message via MSN to Chetan
Default IN PHUKET FOR THE KING'S CUP

hi folks

i will be in phuket for the king's cup sailing platu # 103

if anyone from this BB is gonna be there i look forward to catching up

if anyone knows if i can get a space on a yacht as delivery crew after the KC please let me know

i am looking for yachts headed west or at least in the same region; definitely not south or further east

tks

chetan

Old 11-25-2005, 03:49 PM   #2
Lieutenant

Hi Chetan,

All I can say is "you lucky *&%%&^&^%$#$#

I had 6 years in that wonderful country and envy you ... actually I may never speak to you again .. well lets all know what you think of the Kings Cup

rumrunner[^][^][^][^]

Melbourne, Australia.

Web: https://www.sailblogs.com/member/rumrunner/?xjMsgID=5680</font id="size1">
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 05:09 PM   #3
Lieutenant

well, its my second outing to the king's cup. participated last year on the same boat with my friend Morten Jakobsen, ex Asia Pacific laser champion, current thai laser champion. last year our best finish was a 2nd place and we wound up 4th overall. must confess that at times we were no match for the Phuket 8's and the Runnalis 8, a fremantle design with some similarities to the Sydney 38. the round the island races are fun and the parties even better.

on the first race we were sent up past nai harn on a 4 hour beat. contrary to expectations winds were strong (the platu does not like anything over 15 knots) we experienced gusts upto 20 knots. we rounded the windward mark, popped the chute and the main halyard came crashing down. some quick thinking and then hoisted reefed main on Jib halyard. the boat was really imbalanced sailing like that, but our veteran helmsman Jens Overgaard, a wily old fireball sailor who lives in Krabi did not bat an eyelid. i spent the rest of the evening at the top of the mast dropping weighted nylon filament through the mast to serve as a messenger line for the new halyard.

the other days were a blast though. especially the local colour.... if you know what i mean
Old 12-02-2005, 06:32 AM   #4
Lieutenant

chetan,

How about an update on the Kings Cup.. and the local colour :0):0):0)

rumrunner

Melbourne, Australia.

Old 12-06-2005, 10:00 PM   #5
Lieutenant

Sawasdee from Kata Beach

my finishes in the first 3 races of the King's Cup as follows:

Race 1 - 1st

Race 2 - 5th

Race 3 - 3rd

the wind is really light and fluky (unlike last year, but like most other years). I am competing in the sports boat class and racing against the following:

2 Farr 25's / 1 Mumm 30 / 1 Fremantle 8 / 4 Phuket 8s

There are a number of beatufiul yachts in the Premier Cruising section

In the racing section it looks like a fight between Neil Pryde's team (rumour has it there are some Oracle BMW guys on board his team), Mandrake and Drumstick.

If any of you are gonna be in Phuket or know of any delivery jobs where i can get a space as crew please forward the same or mail me direct

My number in phuket is +666-9887034

Local colour? well, the opening party at Kata was nice, so was the second night at Mom Tri's. 3rd night was boring. Other than that it's a bit unfair to insist that EVERY team member buy the 4000THB party ticket for entry to 6 parties. Earlier it used to be one complimentary ticket (fee included in registration) per team. After last year's incident between the Phuket 8 and the J 109 the organisers have made it compulsory for every boat to have 3rd party insurance amounting to US$ 1 MILLION. That's a bit of a knife in the back as well.

But the race organisation etc has been excellent. So has the racing. I look forward to some keen competition.

more later and hope to hear from any of you in this part of the world

chetan
Old 12-08-2005, 12:01 PM   #6
Lieutenant

Hi Chetan,

Thanks for the update..... you are to be congratulated on your success ( on the water) ...well done.

Hey try saying Sawadee Krup that's the more polite way of saying "thank you' .. you will hear females saying Sawadee Ka, just the different gender.

Your "party activities seem in order" but there again you haven't told us all the REAL story..... you lucky[^][^][^][^]

where to next ?

rumrunner

Melbourne, Australia.

Old 12-08-2005, 06:54 PM   #7
Lieutenant

hello all

where to next? unfortunately i think i just have 2-3 days here after the Cup and then have to head back to Boss and Bombay.

honestly.... nothing more than whatever i report in the log, so no real story.

had a bad incident lately - one of our closest competitors also sailing a Farr 25 (Platu) was on the start line around 2 mins before the starting signal for the Sportsboats race, which is the class in which i am competing. The wind must have been around 20kts (Wednesday). Apparently they were head to wind or at all rates above close hauled on starboard and along came this large German cruising boat (MasterBlaster) which is being sailed by some Russian crew and absolutely T-boned them. they got pushed to leeward and had contact with the Mumm 30 Happy Endings (Jonathan Mahony). Result - the Platu has serious damage to hull and the boom has to be completely replaced. 2 of the crew had to jump off on to the Mumm 30 to avoid being crushed between the two boats. While a replacement boom is on its way through air cargo, the insurance company may not let the Platu sail the rest of the championship without the hull damage being restored. And there are no more Platu hulls down in Phuket. The nearest one is 24 hours away by truck. What makes it worse is that the team on the Platu has travelled all the way from Finland for the event. I believe they were 3rd placed at the recent Eurpoean Championships.

Yacthpro 106, the Platu protested Master Blaster. Master Blaster protested Yachtpro 106. And Happy Endings protested Yachtpro 106. Decision: Master Blaster is DSQ (but they are not in the same class anyway); Yachtpro 106 to receive average points for that race. Happy Endings to receive average points for that race.

It is so unfortunate that a team which has travelled over all the way from Finland gets screwed by some guys who don't know the first thing about racing rules. They had a separate start and should not have even been in the starting area. A similar incident occured last year when a Phuket 8 broached and spun directly into the path of Blue Jiuce, a J 109, who rammed through almost to the centreline, sending a crew member directly to ICU (although fault cannot in this case be as clearly ascertained).

Anyway, back to the more sunny side of things, score update as follows:

Yachtpro 106 (Finnish team) 2/3/1/1.5 = 7.5

Emma (myself) 1/5/2/3 = 11

Happy Endings (Mumm 30) 10/1/3/2 = 16

Somtam Express (Phuket 8) 10/2/4/2 = 18

Lastly, if anyone has any clues on boats heading out of Phuket I would greatly appreciate any contact info since i am seriously looking to add to my offshore experience.

Also, since it is never too early to look around, if anyone knows the owners of bigger race boats who would be down next year for the King's Cup, please let me know. Names that immediately sprint to mind are as follows:

Drumstick - DK 46

Happy Endings - Mumm 30

Jativa - Mumm 30

Panic - Mumm 30

Or any other racing boat, but not larger than 35 - 45 feet, since i feel that is the next rung on the ladder.

We also have Frank Pong's new boat BORACAY here. What a beauty!!!! We also have Neil Pryde and his team here. Rumour has it that tere are some guys from BMW Oracle on board.

that's about it for now.

cheerio

chetan
Old 12-16-2005, 05:25 PM   #8
Lieutenant

hi all

this update comes a bit late but better late than never

finished first in IRC Sportsboat at the recent King's Cup ahead of the Mumm 30 / Phuket 8 and Buzz 8 designs.

some of you may know about the incident where the Finnish team was absolutely t-boned by a big boat (german??) sailed by a russian team.

the jury found them guilty of failing to keep clear when they had to and not rendering assistance when they needed to.

the jury awarded redress in the form of average points to the Finnish team for that race. However the boat was seriously damaged and the team was unable to compete in Race 5, 6 and 7. their appeal for a more substantial form of redress met with little sympathy from the Jury.

After race 5 and 6 of the total 7 series we already had the series in the bag. Hence at our skipper's initiative all the crew agreed it would be a nice gesture to give the boat to the Finnish team. this meant that they could sail race 7 and were in with a chance for 2nd or 3rd place. An appeal to this effect was signed by all competing skippers in the Sportsboat class except one. The same was later verbally okayed by the jury.

The next day we were protested by the boat who had not signed the appeal stating that the only way for us to lose the regatta was to score a DNE or a DGM. hence loaning the boat to the finnish team was merely an attempt to secure our win. The jury ruled that the finnish team's score for race 7 would not be counted.

Amazing isn't it?

a nice regatta ended leaving a sour taste in the mouth