Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-07-2005, 06:07 AM   #1
Ensign

Default live aboard year 'round on Lake Superior?

okay...is this done? i have heard that there are those, a brave few, who liveaboard year 'round on lake superior. i've heard people use bubblers or agitators to keep water unfrozen around the hull. i live in minneapolis and am plotting a move to the duluth area in the spring....i plan to buy a boat this winter...depending on what i learn about all of this will determine if the the boat i buy will be outfitted and suitable for living. i am around other sailors often but have found the topic slightly taboo given most marina rules and city ordinances...and of course the opinions of those who find the lifestyle less than upstanding. this summer i have been visiting marinas on lake superior and have been unable to discern if this is really done.

Duluth, MN

lostpearl.blogspot.com
max mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 03:53 AM   #2
Ensign

Pretty common to do this in the Toronto area - there are several dozen boats with liveaboards. Lake Superior seems another kettle of fish entirely - much colder

Old 09-15-2005, 04:20 AM   #3
Ensign

Bruce,

thanks for your perspective...i am not finding anyone who 'currently' does this in Duluth/Superior. I still hear a few rumors that "someone had heard of somebody who 'had' done it for awhile" ...but i think i'd be the 'one nut' doing it presently. My better half is in love with Duluth and dreams of starting a small shop there...and truly i love the town too...i just hope it can accomadate my dream too...i wonder if i could convince her that Toronto is nice too...after all, i understand prince moved there . we'll see...

Duluth, MN

lostpearl.blogspot.com
Old 09-16-2005, 07:17 PM   #4
Gord May

I’d be pretty certain that no-one winters aboard anywhere on Lake Superior. Aside from the obvious cold-ice-snow-sewage problems, the Marina’s are all closed.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:47 AM   #5
Ensign

update:

i have found one person that lives aboard year round on lake superior on a 50' tug boat. well...technically, he lives on the st. louis river

at a friendly marina in what is considered, west duluth, mn...it is 7 miles in from the main lake....

Duluth, MN

lostpearl.blogspot.com
Old 12-20-2005, 08:03 PM   #6
buoyager

Interesting idea but having visited Duluth during the winter I know everything is frozen in the harbor. You can keep your dock from being frozen in and damaged by ice movement in southern Missouri using a water agitator but doubt it could handle real cold weather unless it was nuclear powered. The tug boat you mentioned is probably steel and frozen in all winter as well? If living in your boat is important then consider living in it after you haul out for the season.

Tags
lake superior