Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-02-2007, 10:22 AM   #1
Admiral

Here we will present a series of Google Earth Images of Marinas and anchorages to be found in S.E. Asia.

One word of caution :- watch you see may be old - it all depends on when the images were acquired .

Each week one image will be presented with the test :- Where is this - give the GPS coordinates ? What is it called ?

How do the facilities rate for cruisers on a scale of 10 ?

Any stories regarding incidents etc. in this facility would be welcome

GUESS WHERE # 1. 2nd Aug 07. ( This one being the first is fairly easy)

Click image for larger version

Name:	RLYC.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	100

Richard

Old 08-04-2007, 09:00 AM   #2
Lieutenant

Home Port: No such thing
Vessel Name: Charisma

It looks like the Royal Langkawi Yacht Club marina in Kuah, Langkawi, Malaysia. By the way marina fees just went up on all 3 marinas in Langkawi....

The Marina is located very close to town, easy bicycle ride, a bit too far on foot but Taxis are available for about 1.5 US$ one way. The Marina has got a couple of restaurant, small convenience store, WiFI water, power, Diesel. The current is quite strong and waiting for slack water might be wise on spring tide. I personally do not like the swell caused by the ferries next door, I busted a couple of fenders and was not the only one. Other people put up with the roll as this is now the cheapest marina in Langkawi.

By the way Langkawi is duty free so good to stock up on booze, smoke, diesel and get some spare parts flown in; especially if on the way to Thailand where all these goodies are a lot more expensive and no VAT refund.....

Fair Winds,

Old 08-04-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis View Post
It looks like the Royal Langkawi Yacht Club marina in Kuah, Langkawi, Malaysia. By the way marina fees just went up on all 3 marinas in Langkawi....

The Marina is located very close to town, easy bicycle ride, a bit too far on foot but Taxis are available for about 1.5 US$ one way. The Marina has got a couple of restaurant, small convenience store, WiFI water, power, Diesel. The current is quite strong and waiting for slack water might be wise on spring tide. I personally do not like the swell caused by the ferries next door, I busted a couple of fenders and was not the only one. Other people put up with the roll as this is now the cheapest marina in Langkawi.

By the way Langkawi is duty free so good to stock up on booze, smoke, diesel and get some spare parts flown in; especially if on the way to Thailand where all these goodies are a lot more expensive and no VAT refund.....

Fair Winds,
Francis, Spot On !!!! Thanks so much for the info on Kuah - it would be very useful to get a fix on the new fee structure in Langkawi's marinas , that is if you have the time ?

Much appreciated

Fair Winds

Richard
Old 08-05-2007, 04:14 AM   #4
Lieutenant

Richard,

I'd be pleased to comment on the rates. All three marinas in Langkawi, Royal Langkawi, Telaga and Rebak have agreed to raise their rates by 30% as of the 1st of July 2007, which amount to a cartel. By the way,none of them are publishing their rates nor would they give a print out, so it amount to sending E-mail, calling or walking into the office and ask for a rate. For a 15 meters LOA Telaga and Rebak charge about US$461 per month, the daily and weekly rates being a lot more expensive. Royal Langkawi is marginally cheaper, say by about 10%. Power is around US 14 cents per KW, while water is free or charged at a token fee. All marinas operate WiFI, some for free some for a small charge.

All marinas will offer a discount of about 20% for long term stay, that is about 3 months and payable in advance.

Telaga is, in my opinion the best marina, completely rebuilt since the Tsunami. Very well protected, no wave nor swell, clear water so one can dive to clean propeller and hull. The marina takes about 200 boats but when I left about 10 days ago, they were only about 50 boats and few with live aboard. The Scenery around the marina is quite beautiful, with mountain and jungle teeming with monkey, eagles and all sort of birds, sea ottters can be spotted at time and fish are plentiful. Some do not like the fact that the main town is some 25 km away but car and motorcycle rental is quite cheap. Some yachties prefer to anchor outside (free of charge) in a shallow bay partially protected by 2 small islands but the holding is not great so care should be taken. The marina is a few minutes dinghy ride away and the office is quite happy to let people fill up they water jerries at no charge, WIFI is charged at a token rate and showers are also free.

Rebak is similar except that the marina is located on an island of the same name so one as to rely on a ferry service to go to town which does not operate at night.

Feel free to ask for more details, I am in The Penang Marina at the moment and I'll be happy to pass on whatever I know.

Fair Winds,
Old 08-05-2007, 08:37 AM   #5
Admiral

Quote:
Feel free to ask for more details, I am in The Penang Marina at the moment and I'll be happy to pass on whatever I know.

Fair Winds,
Francis,

Thanks again for really useful info - pity about the cartel - I will discuss anchoring this info with Admin .

Are you now in the Penang's City Marina or in the "Bridge Marina" where I hear that they are doing some major road works which could impact upon the marina ??

Tell me, do you know if Janine VEO MXA and hubby off SY Christada have left by air for Canada ?

Thanks again

Richard
Old 08-06-2007, 04:02 AM   #6
Lieutenant

Richard,

I'm in the Tanjong City Marina, the one in town. There is dredging work going on in the Northern side of the Marina. The swell caused by the ferries is a pain in the neck which explain the low number of boats, about 12 Yachts.

I haven't been to the bridge marina lately but the last I heard it was full as usual, so not sure about the road work. Having said that I anchored by Tesco about 4 nights ago and I could see various working barge close to the marina so something is going on.

I haven't seen SY Christada around, another Yachtie thinks they could be in Chagos ???? not exactly next door... sorry that's the best I can come up with, I'll ask the office next time I drop by, just in case.

Fair Winds
Old 08-08-2007, 11:15 AM   #7
Lieutenant

Richard,

Indeed road work near rhe bridge marina but nothing major. The work barge are around the bridge to widen it up, that could cause inconvenience. Rumor is there are plans to extend that marina.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:32 PM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Here we present a series of Google Earth Images of Marinas and anchorages to be found in S.E. Asia.

One word of caution :- watch you see may be old - it all depends on when the images were acquired .

Each week one image will be presented with the test :- Where is this - give the GPS coordinates ?

What is it called ?

Any stories regarding incidents etc. in this facility or anchorage would be welcome

GUESS WHERE # 1. 2nd Aug 07. ( This one being the first is fairly easy)

Richard
Marinas & anchorages - South East Asia

GUESS WHERE # 2. 9th. Aug 07

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat_Lagoon__Phuket.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	106

Where is this - give the GPS coordinates ?

What is it called ?

Any stories regarding incidents etc. in this facility or anchorage would be welcome

Richard
Old 08-09-2007, 05:18 AM   #9
Lieutenant

Richard,

That one is Boat Lagoon in Phuket. The picture is indeed old as work has been underway since January to extend the hard stand to the right of the photo.

The Marina itself is OK although water is rather dirty, lot of mosquitos at night, no wind as it is located well in land in a former Tin pit mine. The access channel is a bit of a nightmare, it takes about 45 mn from entrance to Marina with shifting sand banks. I draft only 6 feet and yet there is at least 7 days a month I cannot get in or out due to shallow water.

The marina cost is about US$14 per feet per month + 7% VAT, power is US$ 1.5 per KW + VAT, water is cheap but quite dirty, a One micron filter clogs up with about 600 liters.

This is one of the 3 places in Phuket to Haul out, hard stand cost is the same that wet berth, a 50 footer cost about US$ 600 to haul out and back in water, 50% discount if only a couple hours out of the water.

This is also the places where most trademen are based, just about everything can be fixed....at a price. Imported parts are expensivedue to tax and high profit margin. The high season is from October to March, unless urgent, it is not a good time to do repair as everyone is busy. Phuket has a reputation of inexpensive labor but work is very slow so when Berthing and accomodation cost are added, the bottom line is significantly higher than expected. Woodwork is excellent especially for Teak, a new quality Teak deck can be had at a very competitive price. Mechanical work can be tricky so is electrical. Fiber and painting is OK.

Any questions, I'll be happy to answer, I had 7 months on the hard in Boat lagoon....

Fair Winds,
Old 08-09-2007, 05:39 AM   #10
Admiral

Quote:
Richard,

Any questions, I'll be happy to answer, I had 7 months on the hard in Boat lagoon....

Fair Winds,
Right again Francis ,

Even Google got the colour of the water - a dirty green. No real circulation.

Only tidal rise and fall - I guess at springs and neaps there is some clean water coming in. The monsoon rains do clean the hard stands and pontoons, a bit.

I know of Ratanachai's haul out facility in the fishermen's port - but not another one?

By any chance do you have the coordinates to the start of the channel leading to the lagoon ? I have them somewhere in the radio log, but cannot find them.

Thanks again for a great write up.

Fair Winds.

Richard

PS , I think the coordinates to the start of the channel leading to the lagoon are near to

7 degrees 58 min North x 98 degrees 24 min East ( or thereabouts)

The coordinates to the Boat lagoon Office are 7 d 57' 48.14" N x

98 d 23' 08.63" E.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:56 AM   #11
Lieutenant

Richard,

The Boat Lagoon Channel starts at N 07 58.65' , E 98 24.9', you are quite right. Concrete piling start there and can be followed.

The third place to Haul out is the Royal Phuket Marina, next to Boat Lagoon and using the same channel. Their travel lift is (I think) 60 tons.

Fair Winds,
Old 08-10-2007, 08:36 AM   #12
Admiral

Quote:
Richard,

The Boat Lagoon Channel starts at N 07 58.65' , E 98 24.9', you are quite right. Concrete piling start there and can be followed.

The third place to Haul out is the Royal Phuket Marina, next to Boat Lagoon and using the same channel. Their travel lift is (I think) 60 tons.

Fair Winds,
Francis ,

Thanks , I knew about the "Royal" Phuket Marina ( They certainly elevate themselves)

I had no idea that they had a travel lift - - I'll see if I can get some details.

PS , Francis you were quite right ! 60 tons etc - here is there Website

http://www.royalphuketmarina.com/htm/marina/hard.htm