Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-22-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
Ensign

Hello all, (I hope I didn't post this twice)

I just recently joined the forum. I own a 31' Allmand. It does not appear to be the fastest boat in the fleet, but is stoutly configured for extended sailing and live-a-board. The wife and I are having marital problems after 21 years and 3 kids of marriage. So I am taking off for the winter and spring to live and work off my boat. I am a self-taught sailor, this is my second boat (a Graham 34' was my first live-a-board), I am a retired CDR in the US Navy, and an Admiral in the Third Texas Navy.

I have always been a coastal/weekend sailor, but have sailed the BVI in a catamaran, sailed offshore in Bermuda in a 20' Pearson, sailed up and down the East coast of Florida, and sailed my current boat from New Orleans where I bought it here to Pensacola, FL.

My current boat is berthed at the NAS Pensacola marina on the Florida panhandle, and I am planning to head out the first week of November for the Florida Keys, round Miami, and head over to the Bahama's. From there I would like to see how close I can get to the BVI in 6 weeks. Then I will have another 6-weeks after Christmas to get back, and potentially another 6-weeks in the spring.

I am brave, daring, and committed as the day is long, so I am not afraid to do anything. But I am trying to not be stupid about this adventure.

I am looking for any good websites or references that anyone knows of for giving me guidance on making this journey. I am primarily interested in good spots to sail to (for fun and provisioning), good locations to anchor for a week or two, areas to stay away from (concerning things like shallow water and coral head, also is it true that there is piracy out there.) Just good overall information.

Regards,

Greg

Old 09-22-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
Admiral

Well met Greg. Come and join the crew, have a tankard, swap a few yarns and feel at home.

Enjoy // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:30 PM   #3
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard Greg. I'm sure others will be along shortly with knowledge of your sailing area that will answer some of your queries.

Have you had a look around the Cruising Wiki for a start?

Good luck with your plans and please let us know how it goes.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote