Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-19-2008, 05:50 PM   #15

I'm sorry, David, I didn't think you were bashing insurance companies but I was a bit concerned that you were leaving the door open for the bashing to begin. Peter would get all huffy whenever a well-meaning insurance agent tried to sell him life insurance - "why would I want to bet that I'm going to die?" Sometimes he got a bit too thick-headed for my comfort.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:02 PM   #16
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper0885 View Post
Good Afternoon everyone, please bare with me if this question has been delt with before. i am shopping for insurance on a Isalan Packet 40 that i will be taking possession of in may. I have found a wide range of coverages and prices. I will be u.s. coastal most of the time for the next 3-4 years but would like to exceed the 75 mile restriction every now and then and maybe stray south to cancun mexico when the fancy strikes. Later on as i gain experience I would like to cruise to more exotic grounds. i would appreciate some tuterage on best methods to insure. If you have a favorite agent or company a phone number referal would be nice. Jim
In the USA if you are not going beyond the Bahamas, you can insure through your automobile insurance carrier in most cases. This will be the most economical type of insurance for your boat.

For Mexico you must purchase special insurance required by the Mexican authorities and most USA companies can provide that also.

Beyond USA waters you need world Cruiser insurance coverage. There are many "brokers" listed in the sailing magazines that can set this up for you. But the best one so far for 2 person crewing is IMIS in Annapolis. See them at: http://www.imiscorp.net/ They have the only 2 person on board worldwide coverage - it is called a "Jackline" policy. Most other worldwide insurance agencies require you to have more than 3 persons on board when during a passage.

If you are a European there are wonderful agencies there available to set up the insurance for your boat.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:47 AM   #17

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Thanks for the good information posted here about cruising insurance.

I'd heard that there were NO policies out there if there were just two people on passage--so I'm glad to hear there's at least one carrier out there who will insure two-person crews.

Fair winds

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:13 AM   #18
Ensign

What about if your singlehanded. Is their coverage for blue water.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:38 AM   #19
Rear Admiral

A good point raised by Lighthouse in relation to marina and haul out.

Here in Oz, you will not get a berth in any marina for more than an overnighter unless you are able to produce current insurance documentation. Marine insurance is really tightening up down here.

Haul out facilities are starting to ask the same as they are finding that the exemptions they had been asking us to sign do not absolve them of liability. Of late there have been some very pricey accidents occurring in some yards and it's becoming a real sore point.

The other issue that is causing some angst is the fact that some insurers are now requiring full surveys for vessels more than 15 years old. While I can understand this - we are finding some real inconsistencies in relation to how long these inspections last.

We changed insurers (albeit reluctantly as we had been with them for many many years and always found them great to deal with) when we were asked 3 years running to have full out of water surveys for the same vessel which we built in Perth only 3 years ago. Apart from the original hull (18 yrs old) , which was ground back to glass and totally re-2 packed inside and out - including new bulkheads, every single item from engine to mast, stays and knifes and forks were purchased brand new!

With the new vessel, our new insurer asked for a full survey (which we secured as part of the conditions on buying the new yacht) and they have agreed in writing to honour this for 5 years.

Is this only happening in OZ?

The new insurer has also informed us that they insure for blue water and we can purchase cover from 1 - 12 months. Blue water insurance is activated when passing territorial waters and ends upon return. We are sailing to New Caledonia in the new year - will marinas there require current insurance?

Don't get me wrong, we have always had great relationships with insurers in the past and its not an easy job they have. I just wonder if perhaps some of the larger insurers are throwing the baby out with the bath water?

Regards,

Robin & Shaun